Rear rotor removal - 505

todds

Hi, Can anyone explain to me how to remove the rotors on this car?  I can see the 4 allen head bolts thru the hole in the existing rotor and looking at my replacement rotors it seems that they attach from *behind*?  I can't fathom how this is to take place.  I'm assuming the four allen bolts undo some portion of the hub and somehow it slides off, then the rotor comes off.  I also see a gigantic nut in the middle of the hub that probably holds it to the axle, it seems to be staked into place.  I'm hoping that doesn't have to come off too, it looks nasty, but I have a feeling it probably does...

IMG_2512.JPG.60e3e61f9131402dbd78779ef317e2ef.JPG

That hole in the hub face allows you to access 4 Allen head bolts (8mm I think) that attach the hub to the trailing arm.  Loosen the axle nut as well and remove brake caliper.

Once assembly is removed the disk is bolted from the backside to the hub flange...

If you’re removing to have the disks cleaned up I’d measure them up first to make sure they’re think enough or you might want to see if you can source new ones if they’re too thin.

Rabin

Thanks, I have new rotors for it.  So I have to remove the big nut eh?  I guess I just hammer the staked portions away with a punch or something...  Does this mean I should replace that big nut with a new one as well?  I imagine eventually you can't really stake it in place any more.  Are there torque specs for all these things?

Thanks,

Todd

Yup - big nut has to come off and you should make sure the axle can be pushed in a little as the hub will need to slide off the axle splines once the hub is loose.

Small flat chisel in that groove works well to unstake the nut - reassembly I always use blue loctite and restate the used nut.

As for torque - I can find the specs, but it’s usually just nice and tight with a 1/2” breaker bar when I do it.  :)

Rabin