Bringing a 505 and 405 back from the Grave

Jayden M

Im 18 yr old now and my dad, Jonathan has had 5 old peugeots sitting in his driveway for nearly 15 years now. It's time they start moving

The first to get going is a burgundy 86 STI 505 XN6. Recently I replaced the front strut, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel tank, clutch master cylinder, but still engine idles extremely rough. The interior is so very bad, mostly because a tree fell on it, and busted the rear window, allowing rain to get in.

Next to get back onto the road is the White 405 Mi16 1991. Has really nice interior, but needs a timing belt. The engine will turn over, but I think there might be an issue with fuel. tested that spark is getting to plugs, and it is. Compression seems decent.

Final one to get on the road is the blackie 89 505 turbo gas. Has really good interior, but has major issues: Cracked diff (I have replacement), Water leak somewhere (Sun Roof im assuming), Fuel pump (external) isnt running, and it seems to have a busted head gasket.

The silver 88 505 turbo gas has severe rust issues, and severe engine damage, so it is mostly a parts car for blackie. Interior is excellent though.

White 89 505 turbo gas has destroyed rear and front panels, with a decent amount of rust everywhere, so it is also a parts car. Interior is meh, and the engine needs a head gasket replaced.

My dad always talks about how much fun they were to drive, but I dont believe him... should I? lol

Welcome to the forums Jayden - Tell your Dad I said hi.  :)  He and Joe Grubbs were/are legends from back in the day.  Pretty sure I still have video of your Dad doing burn outs in Blackie.  

We're pretty biased about how fantastic these cars are - but you can believe Vin Wiki:  

I have Blackie's twin - can't remember if it was Auto or Manual - but I think it was a manual?  Feel free to post up pics and post up threads on each car if you want.  Will do our best to help you get them going.

Really great that you've taken this on and will be trying to get them going again.

Rabin

Video of my dad doing burnouts... what!? haha i got to see that. Blackie is automatic. I do know that Jon still talks to Joe, but very rarely. Seems they only talk when I need torque specs or wiring diagram.

I'll be honest though I'm no expert on cars, and I don't have any service manuals either. I will see about getting pictures for them, but all 5 of them have horrid paint jobs.

I know I can find the 405 (free) service manual online, but I had no luck with 505 manuals is there by chance one on this website?

I hear a lot that 405 handles like a dream, I hope the struts are in good shape still.?

Videos are pretty bad quality, but this was in the early years of digital video technology!  You're 18 though so it should be OK if you find out that there might even be some street racing documented!  lol

I just installed at new feature on the site called Downloads - I still need to figure out how I'm going to organize the content, but I've got a ton of data to make available to members here, but there should be a ton of documents that will help you out.

I've never driven a 405 in anger, but I think they're the better pavement handling car.  I'm more of a 505 guy, and while 505's are great cars on pavement, they're next level fantastic in the dirt or on rough/loose surfaces which is where I have the most fun.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple pics:

505 STI 86 Burgundy Pictures:IMG_3342.thumb.JPG.efbc88f310bf479642f24df9a79eb27d.JPGIMG_3343.thumb.JPG.035e1dc925d0ee798cf7bed7238f3606.JPGIMG_3344.thumb.JPG.e7b1656726f53f7d9c91252dd5a655af.JPG

The interior is trashed, luckily I have multiple spare vehicles :D

91 405 Mi16 pics:

IMG_3316.thumb.JPG.2674cf874a7d8fd6936be51aa5d93d79.JPGIMG_3349.thumb.JPG.6baff9a888c9fd9c275bd6c5a47752a2.JPGIMG_3350.thumb.JPG.ebf968be7c908997a045daa38e480294.JPG

Interior isnt to bad on this car, its good enough for me if the rest of the car works.

The Black 89 505 Gas Turbo (one day to be restored...) Pictures:

IMG_3345.thumb.JPG.ed62bc3bc2d0fe3a91154ceef35083e7.JPGIMG_3346.thumb.JPG.097f826a78fba1d1ee34ef877ddbd2fa.JPGIMG_3347.thumb.JPG.6a5a026136962683c8ae8d4f0ca29816.JPGIMG_3348.thumb.JPG.23d8ed9f3c214e9435f970b91a002d10.JPG

Car could use a paintjob, but the interior is like brandnew! Also is it just me or are the 89 style rear lights just fantastic?

Another 89 505 Gas Turbo (White). It has a ton of stuff in it, but the interior is coated with like algae or something haha... This car was bought a very long time ago to be a parts car, but sadly has just sat still for over 15 years :(. IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.99d437990ba38fc8e68ec4a7bdeaf758.JPG

Its awful I know...

Might get some pictures of the Silver 505 turbo if anyone wants to see. Its covered with bushes, and branches so I couldn't get a good image.

Also thanks to this group and the facebook one, its such a great place to meet people and the cars they have. The information here is truly unlimited. Hopefully with the help of this group I will one day be able to drive a Peugeot. I only remember riding in the Mi16 when I was 4 years old, and my dad would throw the thing around corners, and zoom around everywhere. 100 mph through the neighborhood was scary at 4 yr old haha. Now he drive 97 Honda accord... LAME. :D

I'd still love to see that video of my dad doing burnouts :P

Wow, it's nice to see pictures, but you have some cleaning to do. You need to make room so you can work on any of them. My favorites are the white 405 and black 505.

Jay, you may want to start a thread for them that way you can share your journey with fixing them and later driving them, cars keep me out of real trouble, so is not a bad hobby.

Not a bad idea to make a thread Goce, that way people can help me more easily/more access to information. Plus i'v taken pictures already of taking fuel pump out, so might as well right? I'll be honest, I don't think I will ever get one of my cars working.... the cars are more a learning experience for me than to actually drive. It feel like only the privileged get to drive them. I only get to dream about it.

Yeah its hard to get under the Mi16 rear with an engine behind it, luckily im veeerrry skinny. Good thing is there aint not much I do in my days, except school, most of my time is spent tweaking with the burgundy 505, and white 405.

I started at 14-15 years to fix bikes (mopeds) at 16 i had a pretty big accident broke my jaw in 3 places, cracked skull, couple of dislocated joints. So i was told to tone it down that mean i'll get me something slow. At the time i was repairing staff for people so i had my own money so i bought me a Zastava 750 super, you can google it, its a copy of a fiat 600, very small italian design rear engined car with no joke 21hp, the bikes i was still driving at the time has 5X the hp. This didn't matter much because i did not had a licence still so i was only driving in my city's back roads. That did not last long because that car that i paid 60 euros for was rusted to death, someone has use expanding foam to patch the holes and bondo to cover them, that hold water and rusted away, my first clue was once i slam the drivers door and the seal panel fell off and i had a big hole there. I started to take it apart to fix it till i've seen there was nothing left. I stopped driving it went back to big bikes, and few days later i come home and there another even older but much better condition 750 with only 18Hp  in the driveway. My father and brother bought it for me, i still have that car, drove it some learned to work on cars on it, made some memories, then the X05 peugeots come in my live and i'm still driving and working on them, i've had many of them. One big thing i learn pretty quickly and that french cars are reliable, after short time i learned that they will warn you if something is going to fail so you can change it and won't leave you on the side of the road. This is a long read, i hope i didn't bored you.

Sorry Jayden - I'm just slammed with stuff to do and finding time to get those vids and the documentation uploaded has been tougher to find than expected.  Will definitely get it up soon though - I definitely want to see them myself!

Funny how we remember the names, but I remember Blackie and Crackie - Was there a Whitey as well?  So not politically correct unless you knew the back story or the reasons.  (For the folks that weren't around - Blackie was just black, Crackie had a cracked head that got a Danielson head and cam installed, and I thought there was Whitey as well which was just white of course.)  Two of the cars got Danielson heads - pretty sure it was Blackie and Crackie that did...

Pretty sure the race was with Blackie and the 405...  I definitely will find and post them up - you still having the cars is beyond cool and being able to attach that kind of history to them is priceless.

Rabin

13 hours ago, Jayden M said:

Sad to hear about the bike, people have that story a lot, which is why i wont ever ride a motorcycle, they just seem so dangerous.

Bikes, cars are appliances for me lately, i have few that are dear to me that i've shared on this forum and few that i haven't. Motorcycles are not dangerous, it's the other idiots in traffic that make them dangerous to ride. Like anything its getting worse as time passes, when i was riding bikes we use helmets to keep the bugs out of our eyes, now days it's a survival equipment.?

No problem Rabin, take your time. I mean how old are those videos, like 20 years?. As for the 505's there was Blackie, Crackie, Whitey, and a 4th that was rid of - Poundy. I don't think Blackie has danielson, but dad says something is turned up, like turbo or something, and has golden lion emblems! - which is clearly at least 40 extra hp. Also a race between the blackie and 405????? Jon never told me about this one.. hmm... hahahaha was probably the other 405 he had.

3 hours ago, Goce said:

Motorcycles are not dangerous, it's the other idiots in traffic that make them dangerous to ride

So very true.