LED Flashes 5 and 1

N9TEA - Code 5-1 should indicate an NTC issue. I bought the car with the LED flashing. Even though it started and drove well cold (area of influence for the NTC as it screws into thermostat housing) I changed it anyway (I think it had a black on and the new one is blue). Not only did it not change the cold starting (which was ok as I said) it did not make the LED stop flashing 5-1 either. The light doesn't come on right away but after warm-up and accelerating. Then it says on until shut off. Any ideas?

• 4 months later...

Do you still get the flashes?

Did you ever check the wiring to the NTC sensor? And have you tested and verified your ground wires?

I redid the ground wires, as well as a new NTC sensor as well. The later cars used a pricier NTC sensor that was blue, and it cross referenced to the same one used by Volvo.

Rabin

Ah Grasshopper. Thanks for your input. It's still doing it. It's erratic behavior as sometimes it doesn't flash, sometimes it flashes after I hit the throttle hard and sometimes it comes on from cold start and/or driving downhill or after it has warmed-up. I had a "mechanic" check the continuity from NTC to ECU and while it indicated OK. I got a pin-out box from Dono but have yet to get the "Mechanic" to use it.

Now, all that said I talked to another "mechanic" who has dealt with Motronic on BMW's and he suggest replacing the ECU (typical for a mechanic, replace things until the problem goes away).

Got ECU I could borrow?

IMG_20200804_165916.jpg