My Peugeot 607 V6 Z9 Auto To Manual Transmission Conversion Project

Ikenna

*ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CONVERSION PROJECT OF MY PEUGEOT 607 V6 PHASE II (Z9) FROM AM6 AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION.* 

The project of the new born maniac started on 08/01/2019 and ended on 30/05/2020 (17 months). A tough excited project, considering every part of the vehicle system was designed to work with just Automatic transmission (AM6). It appeared no one else has done this Conversion before I did (since I couldn't find any online yet). There could be though, for I really want to hear from those that have done it too and their experiences.

I originally set out to convert with 6-speed Manual gearbox, but decided to go for 5-speed Manual, since my excitement couldn't keep me waiting for 6-speed Manual box that was taking too long to locate. However, I needed to do the conversion to work with both 5-speed & 6-speed Stick-shift, Incase the 6-speed turns up in future. For that, I had to study or researched on parts for such conversion to be a reality. To successfully do the conversion to turn out the way I want, my findings led to parts from about 3 different Peugeot models. A tough challenge and exciting one too. 

Almost everyone I told about the project said the project will destroy the car, except one or two men that were excited when when I told him about the project, in our usual private chats/discussions, that reside outside Nigeria. I never listened or gave a rip about public opinion anyway. If I wanted something that has nothing to do with anyone else, it's done. It's a question of when, as long as the financial and physical strengths are there. 

30/05/2020 was the day I cranked the engine and it roared into life with the Stick-shift box for the first time. The drive that followed after was unforgettable. The car now move like a different car: less weight, quicker, less fuel consumption and most importantly, *PREDICTABLE* , just like my other Stick-shift V6 lions. Words cannot describe the fun part of the drive. I get to now play with the pedals, while I watch the 3.0i ES9A 290 Nm torque surge the car forward like a maniac he has become. Thanks to the brand new Valeo clutch kit and Total Manual Transmission Fluid Gear 8 75w-80. 

Even with the complex electrical system of the car, wired to work only with Automatic Gearbox, I did the Electrical part of the conversion so well that the car now work as if it originally had manual transmission from new.  No warning sign on the instrument panel. The ABS, ESP, Variable steering, variable suspension, engine cooling fan, instrument panel, Multifunction display, etc, everything works the same way before the conversion took place the previous week (yet to make out time to reconnect the parking Aid though). 

I now have a perfect Z9 V6, exactly how I wanted it from the beginning. The AM6 6-speed Automatic Gearbox was still running like new at 77,000 km mileage before I removed it, but wasn't part of my dream Z9 V6. As new and good as the AM6 gearbox is, it's not for Lion King - Monk. It denied me self Expression Behind the Wheel I couldn't ignore or live with.

What about the original intention of 6-speed Stick-shift box? Few days of driving the lion with the 5-speed Stick-shift has been so exciting that I no longer care if I see or don't see the 6-speed box. But I am still looking out for one. 

I can't wait to conclude other projects on my other lions as well. So many good things in this physical life for men to choose and enjoy. I mean, if you find life so boring or uninteresting, get rid of your car and get a fun one, for you can only find yourself in that frequency/condition when you surround yourself with boring things. Or at least, do something about it. Just yesterday, I took the new maniac for another drive,  applied some skills on the pedals and  gear lever and found myself screaming  *YEEHAW!*  I drove back home and closed the celebration with a bottle of 1759. I mean, I beat my chest, pointed to the car and said *I DID THAT!* (boastfully). One of the best part of masculinity which I am proud of.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

Screenshot_20200601-234321.png

Screenshot_20200601-234329.png

Screenshot_20200601-234339.png

Screenshot_20200601-234429.png

Screenshot_20200601-234438.png

Really nice.

If you are using a ML5C gearbox the 6 speed swap shouldn't be too hard.

I remember that a guy did the first 6 speed V6 swap when Peugeot just started using the ML5C on the V6 and the ML6C on the 2.2 petrol engine.

It was on a 406 V6 with a ML5T so he ordered the ML5C V6 bellhousing, found a used ML6C, ML6C shifter and made a custom clutch disc.

5 hours ago, SRDT said:

Really nice.

I remember that a guy did the first 6 speed V6 swap when Peugeot just started using the ML5C on the V6 and the ML6C on the 2.2 petrol engine.

It was on a 406 V6 with a ML5T so he ordered the ML5C V6 bellhousing, found a used ML6C, ML6C shifter and made a custom clutch disc.

Yes, you are right. That's why I opted for the V6 ML5C gearbox  and it's accessories which is not as common and easily available like the ML5T in Nigeria. So that whenever I get the V6 ML6C, the gearbox swap will be easy and cheaper, without replacing any other parts other than the gearbox.

7 hours ago, SRDT said:

Really nice.

Just to clarify.

You meant the used ML6C gearbox the guy used for the 6speed V6 Conversion the 2.2i ML6C, apart from the ML5C bellhousing?

The custom clutch will be a challenge for me, I think. I can easily source for used V6 ML5C bellhousing and 2.2i ML6C complete gearbox.

407 V6 Coupé have a 6-speed manual Gearbox (ML6C). Hopefully I will get one. 

*COST OF THE PROJECT* :

So, like I pointed Out earlier,  started gathering parts needed for the conversion in January 2019 and concluded the conversion on 30/05/2020. Cost of some of the parts purchased are as follows:

1. ML5C Manual Gearbox:. $130 USD.

2. ES V6 Flywheel: $13 USD.

3. Manual pedal assembly (brake & clutch):. $57.

4. New OEM Clutch Master Cylinder:. $26 USD.

5. New OEM Clutch Slave Cylinder:. $31 USD.

6. New OEM Clutch Kit (Pressure plate, Friction plate & release bearing):. $117 USD,

Etc. 

The project cost me Total of $950 USD to conclude. Unfortunately, out of the $950, about $211 was scammed out of me by some of my fellow Nigerians while sourcing for some of the parts from Nigerian part sellers that are not my trusted contacts. It was a huge loss, but I didn't let it discourage me and I kept on till I completed  the project successfully.

Yes, I met a lot challenges in the project and in the process acquired a lot of technical knowledge on Peugeot systems in relation to conversions. The Z9 V6 has similar mechanical and electrical systems with D2 V6 (407 V6). Meaning D2 V6 Saloon won't be a problem for me anymore or anyone in interested doing identical or similar conversion.

Hope that helps anyone interested in Converting Z9 V6 or D2 V6 to Manual.

2 hours ago, Mike T said:

Those parts prices are incredibly low.  Are any 404 parts left in Nigeria?  Especially for the fuel injected 404s?  Or C models?

Hello Mike,

404 are still running on Nigerian roads, so I believe the parts are still available (I haven't asked recently).

However, most of the 404 here have been converted to 1.8 cylinder heads (carburettor). I am not sure how easy to find one with 1.6L.

Also, I don't think fuel injected 404 ever existed in Nigeria, let alone finding the injected engine parts here. About 99.9% 404, 504 & 505 currently in Nigeria is are all carburettor engines. 

The 404 models on Nigerian roads are mostly Saloon, SW & pickup. Never seen the other models here.

Though, The parts are not actually cheap to us here, but  are cheaper to Americans and other western countries because of the USD - naira equivalent. For example,  $1 USD  is about N400 currently.

Ikenna, This just pop up for sale, it is a series 1 607 3.0 V6 auto, with a dead gearbox i did talk to the guy he wants a bit more than a 1K for it, is it worth swapping a manual, the car also has nery new LPG system installed. I've also noticed the interior picture is not from it, it has a manuel. Same spec cars sell around 2.5k working.

https://reklama5.mk/AdDetails?ad=3642357

5 hours ago, Goce said:

Ikenna, This just pop up for sale, it is a series 1 607 3.0 V6 auto, with a dead gearbox i did talk to the guy he wants a bit more than a 1K for it, is it worth swapping a manual, the car also has nery new LPG system installed. I've also noticed the interior picture is not from it, it has a manuel. Same spec cars sell around 2.5k working.

https://reklama5.mk/AdDetails?ad=3642357

Hello,

Yes, the Z8 607 V6 is worth a manual gearbox. Finding a used ZF 4HP20 in good working condition is not very easy over here. They import used automatic gearboxes from Europe to Nigerian used parts markets, but sometimes it takes about 2 or 3 swap to get a good working one. And sometimes, it's a question of time before the good working 4HP20 gearbox packs up. However, I have come across few (very few) 4HP20 users that their gearbox haven't given them problems. Though, it may be easier for you to find one over there, but I wouldn't bother, if I were the one interested in buying the car.

I prefer the ES9J4S V6 engine on Manual transmission than the 4HP20 auto. Converting it to manual means you will have 3 Manual gearbox model options to swap in:

- Option 1: ML5T (5-speed Manual gearbox with reverse gear behind gear 5).

- Option 2: ML5C (5-speed Manual gearbox with reverse gear on gear 1, the exact one in 2nd picture on the advert).

- Option 3: ML6C (6-speed Manual gearbox with reverse gear on gear 1, just like ML5C).

I used the 2nd option (ML5C) on my Z9 V6 since I couldn't find the ML6C (6-speed). But I think you can easily find the 6-speed in your country, since we import used Peugeot vehicles from Europe. The V6 6-speed manual gearbox is available in 407 V6 coupé Manual. You probably will get it from scrapyard in your country. I am still searching for one. 

I would recommend you use option 2 even if you can't find the ML6C, because ML5C & ML6C both use same gearbox components like the gear lever assembly/shifter, gear cables, engine and gearbox mounts, etc. So if you eventually find ML6C in future, you just swap the gearbox without changing any other part. But if you use the ML5T (option 1), you will have to replace some other manual parts of you decide to swap in the 6-speed manual in future, for some parts won't match, like the gear lever assembly,  gear cables, etc.

If I were you, I would buy the advertised 607 V6 and swap in Manual gearbox, if I physical inspect and confirmed that every other part of the car or systems are in good conditions or at least I can afford to fix them and still have enough to do the conversion. 

Do you easily have access to parts needed to do the conversion to manual? The Z8 (607 produced from 1999 - 2003) have some sold with manual gearbox from new. So their parts can be used on this one advertised for the conversion project.

Manual 607 petrol V6 is more fun to drive than the automatic.