91MR2

Joe's '91 405 Mi16...

20 hours ago, Superblackbird said:

...This is my MI 16 which I sold a few years ago.  I loved the car (had a 405S before that) but it was totally unreliable in the cold weather we get in Calgary.  Anything above minus 15 C was great...

Damn - I comb the adjacent for sale sites for Peugeot pretty regularly and surprised an Mi-16 so close would have escaped me!  Between myself and friends mining for cool cars - It's pretty rare for one to pop up for sale without getting a heads up.  :)  I'd be seriously tempted if I every came across a CDN spec Mi-16 in nice shape.

@91MR2 - Any comments on the ground & electrical connection checking and cleaning?  With it being intermittent, it seems more and more likely to me that it could be a connectivity issue.

Rabin

7 hours ago, Bean said:

Damn - I comb the adjacent for sale sites for Peugeot pretty regularly and surprised an Mi-16 so close would have escaped me!  Between myself and friends mining for cool cars - It's pretty rare for one to pop up for sale without getting a heads up.  :)  I'd be seriously tempted if I every came across a CDN spec Mi-16 in nice shape.

@91MR2 - Any comments on the ground & electrical connection checking and cleaning?  With it being intermittent, it seems more and more likely to me that it could be a connectivity issue.

Rabin

Hi Rabin, I've checked everything I can see, and nothing is loose/dirty. My running issues have been gone for a few weeks now, only issue left is the CEL, and it pretty much only comes on when at idle at a light or on decel to a stop sign, etc., goes away once you take off and are under load again. I have an appointment with my mechanic on the 20th, he is going to give the car a full once over, clean the injectors (quite sure they were definitely a problem at one point due to the 2 & 3 plugs fouling, even if they are mostly cleaned out by now), and see where that takes us...

This would not be considered a cursory visual check - this is a remove, clean, and deoxit/dilectric grease/whatever electrical connection sealing trick you have type adventure.  
Every connector you can come across is pulled apart, cleaned, treated, and reassembled while verifying wires are good.  Grounds especially need to come apart, cleaned, and treated.  Check the wires for internal corrosion at the terminal ends - if you see any blue powder / corroding copper then it’ll need further attention.

Visual inspections just don’t cut it.

Also - Finding truly exceptional mechanics is a very daunting task.  Don’t underestimate how much more thoroughly a DIY person can be as a mechanic simply can’t charge a customer the time it would take to be as thorough as a knowledgeable enthusiast can spend on their own car...  :)

Rabin

Rabin, I certainly understand the last part. I've gotten very familiar with this car over the last several months, mostly out of necessity, because some of the people I spoke to in the beginning of this project looked like they had an appendicitis after I told them I have a 91 Peugeot that needs some work…no one wanted to work on the thing, so it forced me to do a lot of jobs on it, and in many ways I am grateful for that…I am also glad though that my friend, and other main mechanic on the peugeot were on board and willing help to get me this far as well…they were tremendous help and the car would not be this far along without their amazing work…but they have other stuff going on right now, as do I… 

Moving forward, we are now approaching mid July, and I spent the last several months pretty much exclusively working on this car in my free time. I have many other things going on right now that need tending to, and I am kind of out of time, at least for now, to tool around with the Peugeot work (although I've been driving it nearly every day, running tons of fuel through it). This mechanic that I am taking the car to is a 30 year father and son operation, and they each have their own Lotus Esprit. How cool is that? They are true car enthusiasts, and really know their stuff. They are actually looking forward to working on the car, which also excites me…

Knowing that it will be in their capable hands gives me some peace of mind, while I catch up on many other things over the next few weeks. I am thrilled with how far the Peugeot has come this year, it's better than it has ever been in my tenure of ownership (and better than it's been since probably the mid-90's I'd guess), and I've really grown to love it. Hopefully these guys can finish off the CEL that I have been chasing, and then I can pretty much call the car done…

Also, I *may* have gotten another summer car recently that I'm looking forward to playing around with too...

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

Haha, Someone likes those high revving engines, i'm not sure Mi16 can't even compare to the K20 in the S 2K. They are 20 years and continents apart haha🤣, have fun open tops are awesome in the summer, the 405 can wait till winter, just drive it from time to time 🚙 🚓.

Goce.

Thanks Goce, but don't worry, I'll still be driving the 405 a ton, just taking a little break from working on it, and going to let a real mechanic deal with it, as I have kind of exhausted my knowledge base on it. Plus with all the other cars, I have to catch up on fluid changes, tires, etc. It all adds up...

Damn - I comb the adjacent for sale sites for Peugeot pretty regularly and surprised an Mi-16 so close would have escaped me!  Between myself and friends mining for cool cars - It's pretty rare for one to pop up for sale without getting a heads up.  :)  I'd be seriously tempted if I every came across a CDN spec Mi-16 in nice shape.

Well it was more like 12 yrs ago. It was A Vancouver car and no rust in excellent shape and 5sp.