Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...

91MR2

Hi everyone, i've miss this thread and i've been down this road. The brown or black sensor under the thermostat is the one for the fans, and there are two available from peugeot one for petrol cars and one for diesels, the difference is in ohms diesels switch the fans sooner. Blue or green sensor with bosch conector is the one for the ECU and the temp gauge reads from it as far as i know. The one wire red top sensor with open terminal or bosch connector dependent of the year is for the overheat light on the dashboard. As you said they are all on the thermostat housing. The coolant level sensor is on the radiator under the neck for filling the radiator. I've had trouble with my temp gauge, changed the sensor no change mine was reading cold, and then i found a loose ground in the dashboard. You can add a resistor to correct your reading ether in the gauge cluster or at the sensor connector.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Goce said:

Hi everyone, i've miss this thread and i've been down this road. The brown or black sensor under the thermostat is the one for the fans, and there are two available from peugeot one for petrol cars and one for diesels, the difference is in ohms diesels switch the fans sooner. Blue or green sensor with bosch conector is the one for the ECU and the temp gauge reads from it as far as i know. The one wire red top sensor with open terminal or bosch connector dependent of the year is for the overheat light on the dashboard. As you said they are all on the thermostat housing. The coolant level sensor is on the radiator under the neck for filling the radiator. I've had trouble with my temp gauge, changed the sensor no change mine was reading cold, and then i found a loose ground in the dashboard. You can add a resistor to correct your reading ether in the gauge cluster or at the sensor connector.

Goce, thank you, this is great information, confirms/corrects a lot of what I was thinking. Once I have the parts, I will get right on installing them and update you guys…

Ok guys, think I got the coolant temp. / fan situation all sorted. I replaced the fan switch/sensor today, and then topped up the coolant, and fired the car up. I let it idle up to temperature, and started watching carefully from that point. The car got up to right around 210, and then the fans came on and quickly brought the car back down to 190. I watched this cycle occur again before I was satisfied. Going to call this one fixed...

Now on to the oil temp. stuff. Going to pull the cluster "soon" and swap the oil temp. gauge with a spare one that I have. Will update once I get to that...

I bet your battery voltage is dropping under load, which causes the voltage across the resistance of the sensor to change…

Put a voltmeter on it and I bet it does a similar blip.  

Sound works for me btw.

With engine running I’d wager it doesn’t move or move as much.

Rabin

45 minutes ago, Bean said:

I bet your battery voltage is dropping under load, which causes the voltage across the resistance of the sensor to change…

Sound works for me btw.

Rabin

So what does this mean then? By that I mean, what is the solution? Or possible solutions?

This was done with the engine running by the way.

Wow - it’s quiet.  Do a voltage meter just to see if the voltage is dropping.  

Does it do similar when you turn your lights on?  (Or any other high load?)

Only other thing would be ground circuits.  Making sure the grounds are all clean and in good shape helps all sorts of issues.

Rabin

On 9/19/2021 at 11:28 PM, Bean said:

Wow - it’s quiet.  Do a voltage meter just to see if the voltage is dropping.  

Does it do similar when you turn your lights on?  (Or any other high load?)

Only other thing would be ground circuits.  Making sure the grounds are all clean and in good shape helps all sorts of issues.

Rabin

On 9/19/2021 at 9:45 PM, Bean said:

Sound works for me btw.

Rabin

Bean, thanks for the info. I am conversational at best when it comes to electrics, so I'm going to have to get my buddy over to help with some of this. I can at least start checking grounds and see where I end up. To be continued...

I Can't see the video, not sure if it has been removed, but this sounds familiar, i've had a bad ground under the carpet at the driver's feet that moved my gauges with the side indicators, the bolt head rusted from water, clean the terminal, changed the bolt and it fixed my problem, you should test for both power and ground drop at the gauge.

I'm not sure it's a bad ground, because this is the only gauge that is behaving this way. Sound logic? I'm really not looking to tear the interior/carpet out to find the problem here, but I suppose if I have to...

I'm going to get into this soon again, it is the only "issue" the car has, so for now, I'll take it...

Each gauge is basically in their own circuit, so while they may share a ground, they might not so I wouldn’t dismiss it being a ground issue especially in a Peugeot!

Definitely check voltage changes when you do it however.  

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, happy halloween (almost)...

Drove the car a good 100 miles or so today, didn't skip a beat. Well, except for the welds breaking from the cat to the midpipe, but fortunately I was able to take it to a muffler shop and they welded in a SS sleeve, and was back on my way again...

Some pictures of it on the shores of Lake Erie...

IMG_8068.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

IMG_8073.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. Drove my car a little bit since the last post, all is still well, minus the oil gauge discrepancies still (one day...). Also recently took the car to my interior guy, as a seam started to come loose on the driver seat, so he hand stitched it back to near new, can't even tell. Perhaps some photos to follow...

Until next time...

• 1 month later...

Boy, things have been quiet around here lately...

Not much to report on my end from a Peugeot standpoint, however have a big project coming up in the spring that will indirectly help/benefit it, as well as all of my other cars...

Going to do an addition on my garage to turn it from a 3 1/2 car garage into a full 5 car garage. New dimensions will be 55x22, up from 42x22. Here's maybe the best part - I also own the house next door, and will be building an open air breezeway to connect to the next door garage, which will now only be about 3 1/2 feet away. That garage is 26x22, and will hold 2 cars, plus my jet ski. So basically, all 7 of my cars, plus my Sea Doo, will now have storage all under basically one roof. Very exciting...

That sounds AMAZING!  I’ve only got a 16x24 garage that I should have insulated and done up prior to moving in, but I didn’t, and have since filled it with parts and tools!  Sadly still in the midst of a multi-year project to wire and insulate it while it’s full of stuff - not fun!

We looked at doing rental property so I could get a bigger working garage, but housing prices were just too high to make it worthwhile…

Pics and updates on the garage would be awesome as well.

Rabin

Thanks Bean, indeed I am very excited and will certainly post progress photos. I know this sounds like a first world problem, and fully acknowledge that it is, however having several cars be scattered about in different garages has been a real pain. This project will truly allow me to tackle and manage so much more without all the annoying logistics…

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, hope you're enjoying winter as much as we are (sigh)...

I haven't had much to report on here, but we did in fact get our permits from the city for our garage addition, so excited about that. Breaking ground in April if the weather allows.

In other news, we got a call from our Lotus dealer the other day, that our allocation for a First Edition Emira has been honored. First US deliveries will be later than expected, likely towards the latter part of 2022, but that's ok, gives us more time to get the garage done.

Hoping to go to the Philadelphia Radwood event with the Peugeot in the spring, but we will see where covid is by then...

Very cool to hear about the Emira - but now I need to ask what spec you ordered?  I’m guessing it has to be a first edition so supercharged v6?  Manual?  Sport?  :)

Absolutely LOVE the philosophy of this new car of theirs that’ll probably the last nod to the analogue sports cars of yesterday.

Rabin

Hi Bean, happy to indulge...

Yes, First Edition, V6 supercharged, 6-speed manual transmission. I've settled on Nimbus Grey, but struggling on the interior, either going black leather or tan leather. The tan would make like a modern day version of my Esprit, as far as color combo, and I thought that might be really cool. But then, black interior is hard to say no to as well...

I agree, I too love the philosophy. From all I can tell, it is basically an updated Evora, and while Lotus wants everyone to think this is an all new car, I think the former is a tremendous compliment. The Evora is an amazing car that truly doesn't get the credit it deserves...

And yes, Lotus already said the Emira will be it's last ICE car...so I'm going all in on it...

Here are come photos from the configurator, showing both options. Very torn...

IMG_8551.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg

IMG_8553.jpg

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howdy gentlemen - as we are closing up the winter season, we are now preparing for our garage addition in the coming weeks. Nothing to add now, but much more to add later. Will post updates here as they develop...

Feel free to start a new thread for the garage if you want - I love garage builds and seeing how and what get done.

Missed the pics of the interior and your dilemma!  I don’t envy the choice but give the nod so the brown as that darker tone of tan/baseball glove type colour just looks so good in anything.  Like tan I cannot abide by though!

Rabin

Thanks Bean, sounds fine, depending on the speed of the project, perhaps I'll make a new thread on it, if it's just a few noteworthy updates though, I'll just make sure the Mi16 is in the background of the shots, ha...

Unrelated, we finalized our Emira order and went with the black leather interior. I'm sure it will age the best...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen, a garage build check in...

I haven't driven a car in months, as we have been full go on the garage build. Rather than bore everyone with thousands of photos, here's a synopsis in 4 photos. Cars should be returning in a couple weeks...

IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9721.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

• 91MR2 changed the title to Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...