Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...

91MR2

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This morning was the last cars and coffee of the season, my friend Jack (and the guy I bought my car from) came out with his '92 Mi16. We were amongst the rarest of the cars there...took these as the event was wrapping up, was actually a good turnout...

IMG_6131.JPG

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

Thank you, Jayden. I just started following your thread as well, you will get there, just stick to it. Injectors were a big culprit of my running issues after my car sat for a bit, I suggest you pull them out and have a really good look at them, you can have them ultrasonically cleaned for probably about $20 each...

7 minutes ago, Jayden M said:

Going to get them injectors out today. I have a lot of work ahead of me to get the car in good shape, but just looking at yours keeps me from stopping.

Good deal. I'd also read through my entire thread, you might find some good value in the logic steps we went through to get my car right, as I'm sure your car will have many of the same issues mine had from sitting...

Also, the guys on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable, they will help you get there for sure...

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Mi16 out for about a couple hours this evening, still running great. One thing I think I might want to do is the front LCA bushings. They are the only thing I did not replace when I redid my front end this year (for no particular reason other than looking like they might be annoying to do). While the handling is great, it takes the bumps more harshly than I would think it should. Maybe that's just the way they are. Regardless, extremely pleased with where the car is at. As we roll into the cold season, I intend to drive it as often as possible throughout, so long as the roads are clear...

13 hours ago, Mike T said:

Peugeot struts?  Aftermarket ones are to be avoided if you value the ride comfort.

Hi Mike, I should've clarified in my last post, however the subject was also covered very early in my thread, the front shocks are still original Peugeot. I expressed much surprise that after 170,000 miles the original shocks could still be good, but they have great rebound and they are not leaking, so I stuck with your guys suggestion, and I am glad I did so...

I've been pleased with the ride comfort on my Mi16x4 they are a bit firmer than normal 405, if you want it to be very comfortable, buy shocks for a 405 1.6i 94 year and up, they are much softer, i've had 405 with 500 000 km on the clock and the shocks just start to leak, that one was a Taxi in germany, around here bumpy roads, parking on the sidewalk they last around 2-300 000km. As for the LCA if they are together don't mess with them, i check them by kicking the front tire when parked in neutral with my feet. They should move considerable, anything over 2" with the hardest kick it excessive, were steel tip boots if your doing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are starting to wind down this time of year, basically just getting ready for winter. I've washed/detailed/winterized all the cars and put them away, with the exception of the Mi16 and S2000, as I hope to drive them throughout the year as long as there is no snow/salt on the ground. Took some photos tonight of the Mi16 in downtown Buffalo, and got a few shots in front of a french café down there as well. Car continues to run well...

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6298.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6304.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I picked up a couple cans of white plasti-dip type paint, think I'm going to give myself a little winter project and try to paint the hood of my car in my garage. Best case, it is a better color match and will be passable for a while, worst case I just peel it off and continue to look at my crème colored hood with my otherwise original white paint. Stay tuned...

What about wrapping it?  You could also see about getting a paint matched in a spray bomb, then do a spray bomb job - Some decent work can be done with the right technique.

Plasti-dip wears terribly, but it might look OK for a bit.

Rabin

Ha, thanks guys. Bean, doing the peel paint may not age well (or even look good, for that matter), I agree, but for $20 in paint, it is worth a try, no?

Souvenier, I already got a quote of around $200, so that will likely happen at the earliest, in the spring, if the peel paint doesn't look good or hold up. This is just an easy winter project to make it look better...

3 hours ago, 91MR2 said:

if the peel paint doesn't look good or hold up. This is just an easy winter project to make it look better...

A good friend of mine, has a good looking car with a destroyed hood, all discolored and knowing him i ask him how do you deal with seeing it everyday like that. He said, i've put a very dim bulb in my garage so it doesn't show that much when i park it, hahah??

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Goce said:

Joe, did you feel power increase from the cold air, those cars have very restrictive intake and they like the cooler temps outside.

Hi Goce, I didn't really get on the car too hard, so tough to say, all I know is that the CEL seems to be a long gone issue put to pasture (well until the next issue, ha), and the car runs and drives as I imagine it once did back in the early 90's...

Very pleased, it was definitely worth all the reading/research/work to get to this point...

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen, happy new year. We had a decent snowstorm on christmas, but quiet and dry weather otherwise since, so took the Peugeot out today for a ride. Car ran great, but had an interesting thing happen. After about 20 minutes of driving, the oil temp. gauge (which has been well chronicled in this thread with me thinking that it was maybe reading a tad high), started DROPPING out of nowhere to near the bottom of the gauge as I drove along. When it happened, I pulled off, shut the car off, and then restarted, everything went back to normal.

Signs of an oil temp. sensor/switch on it's way out? Also, ideas on where to get one? Not listed on rockauto, and not sure of a part # so ebay is like a game of roulette...

Here are photos of the evidence... 

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

Check the wire, and the bolt and nut on the sensor, they are located at the bottom of the oil pan, perhaps the bolt wobbles or it's been hit at some point at its life. The same ting is happening for my engine temp on my 605 but i've never worried about it. The sensor is the same for all peugeots of the 90s and early 2000's, just match the Ohms from yours.

Goce/srdt, thank you both. I will look into both of these solutions soon...

On a different note, does anyone have an extra valve cover that they would be willing to sell? I'd like to buy a used one, and then have it stripped and powder coated so that I can swap on and off without being down with the car in the meantime...

• 91MR2 changed the title to Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...