Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...

91MR2

10 minutes ago, 91MR2 said:

Ha, that looks like a lot of fun...maybe if I pick up another one someday...but not my current one...however I am open to the idea if another one comes along...

Haha - That’s how it starts...  These things are insidiously addictive, but is a good way.  :)

Rabin

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, SRDT said:

The Mi16x4 has the same rear Torsen than a 505 plus a central viscous coupling unit, it should spin all 4 tires or none of them.

If you want a winter 405 in the US find another US model and put a Quaife or Val-Racing LSD on it.

The LSD would be a total waste of effort and money - the FWD 405 is excellent on compact snow and ice - perfectly balanced and neutral handling at highway speed due to the lift off oversteer.  I drove one in the BC Interior - in a town that gets 5 metres of snow every year - and 4WD or LSD were never on my wish list.  On good winter tires it would run rings around Subarus and Volvo Cross Countrys on the highway, they could not keep up.

I agree with Mike, any 405 even the underpowered GLD (diesel) never disappointed in snow, i'm sure the long travel suspension helps. The 4WD system on that mi16 makes it a whole different experience. Best way i can describe it is like everyday you are driving on warm sticky smooth tarmac, no matter if it is raining, dirty or slippery. It doesn't make enough power to drift on dry pavement but it findes grip and moves, that said if you relay want to you can make it do whatever you want but you need double the speed of any other RWD car and you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter like a honda driver, with a better soundtrack. I wanted to share this video of a 405 doing a donut, something only 4WD 405 can do.

You guys are making me start to reconsider this no Mi16 in the winter thing, ha...

Funny story though, for many years of my 20's, my winter car was an MR2 (neither of my current ones, I've had several over the years), and never had so much fun driving in the winter. There's something to say about sports cars with the proper tires in winter...

I used to daily my 89 505 Turbo in winter on some incredible ContiIceContact studded winter tires.  Ridiculously fun car in the winter,  but the best ever was doing a winter rally cross where I beat 18/19 of the local Subaru club guys. This was made even more insulting  for them as the car had two kid seats in the back...  :)  

I’ll have to talk to my buddy to see if he still has these or if I downloaded them - Stupid Photobucket:  

Rabin

My first experience in a Peugeot was when I was in high school, probably around the year 2000. A friend of mine in my shop class knew someone who had a 505, I think it was a turbo, but all I remember was that it was the middle of winter, and he took us around for a ride, thrashing the hell out of it. It seemed really fast, however he was really wringing it out. I was a Peugeot fan long before this, but this really made me like them a lot. As a serial car nut, I'm certain I'd pick one up if it happened to fall into my lap...

Well, had my first real shakedown run with the car today, a ~250 mile round trip to visit the gentleman that sold me the car several years ago. I think he was pleased to see his old car in it's current shape (he still has a '92 Mi16 and a '90 Sportwagon). The car performed flawlessly and rolled over 175K miles on the journey, very fitting...

IMG_6038.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

That’s awesome - Previous owner definitely looks like he would have appreciated all the work, so a great gesture for sure.

Not many places in the country you could see three 405’s like that - I can only think of Savo’s house being the other place. :)

Rabin

Little interior project, involving some leather furniture balm...

My 30 year old leather, while still nicely intact, has suffered from some prior ownership bolster wear on the driver's seat. When I went to visit the previous owner, he gave me some old leather balm from when he had owned the vehicle. Decided to give it a try yesterday. While the seats will never look new again, the results are great for how easy it was. Going to give it a few more applications and see where it ends up...

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6059.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

That’s awesome!

I use some crazy blue shoe polish on my Nordcap leather in the Volvo, but I’ll have to see if I can source some of that stuff. How does the leather feel?  Does it feed / moisturize the leather as well?

Rabin

1 hour ago, Bean said:

That’s awesome!

I use some crazy blue shoe polish on my Nordcap leather in the Volvo, but I’ll have to see if I can source some of that stuff. How does the leather feel?  Does it feed / moisturize the leather as well?

Rabin

I think it is more of a color fill, but will read the tub again when in front of it. I'm sure it has some other positive effects too. Leather feels about the same...

Nice work on the leather joe, it's still strange to me to see red leather seats in a 405, from past experience, after couple of coats of good quality recenditional with color it will be better, the leather absorbs it. For making the seats soft again, i use a domestic very good quality hand cream, on a hot day with the windows closed, and you can see the interior absorbs it, after few hours i go over them with leather cleaner to take off the excess. The seats in the 607 wore hard as a rock when i bought it, now they are soft as a children's hand.

Thanks guys, we will see how a few more applications make it, but I'm pleased with it so far...

It's weird, I'm running out of jobs to do on the car, ha...

I did however speak to my paint guy today, going to have him repaint the hood soon to match the rest of the paint, which is all original, so at least the car will be one color again...

14 hours ago, 91MR2 said:

Looking to have the hood painted in about 2 weeks, excited...

Joe, are you getting the front wings wings also painted or blended in, i've had many good and bad paint shops try to paint just one panel and it always shows, when they are preparing is not that much more work, just to sand them and blend the paint in the wings. I'll attach pictures from this winter when i had the front end resprayed on my 605, you can see how we bended in the fresh paint to the old in the wing and there is no separation even in the 25 year old paint.

IMG_20200110_114238.thumb.jpg.e1ba60b3bc7c36736f65af3fae265ff3.jpg

IMG_20200111_131037.thumb.jpg.d53a22e8d253be253a9ba70d736a0b9d.jpg

IMG_20200111_131048.thumb.jpg.4b6edf344537a6a26fdb4998f0231e85.jpg

IMG_20200112_140915_1fffffffffffff.thumb.JPG.adcc3ae75aeff0c1a737df816a68b5c8.JPG

On 10/8/2020 at 11:53 AM, Bean said:

How’s paint on the grill and front bumper?

Would highly recommend 3M paint protection once it’s done and cured - magical stuff for keeping paint nice.

Rabin

The paint is what I would call good and original, very nice patina. Good enough to leave, as if I start painting too many parts, then deciding where to stop can get tricky. I actually very much like the current state of the paint, and am only painting the hood because it is the only part of the car that has been repainted already. I also don't want it to be too nice, where I have to constantly worry about nicks and chips - I've made that mistake before with my black MR2. The paint on that car is almost too nice for what I want to do with my cars these days, which is drive them first, then take them to the occasional show, etc. after...

On 10/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, Goce said:

Joe, are you getting the front wings wings also painted or blended in, i've had many good and bad paint shops try to paint just one panel and it always shows, when they are preparing is not that much more work, just to sand them and blend the paint in the wings. I'll attach pictures from this winter when i had the front end resprayed on my 605, you can see how we bended in the fresh paint to the old in the wing and there is no separation even in the 25 year old paint.

IMG_20200110_114238.thumb.jpg.e1ba60b3bc7c36736f65af3fae265ff3.jpg

IMG_20200111_131037.thumb.jpg.d53a22e8d253be253a9ba70d736a0b9d.jpg

IMG_20200111_131048.thumb.jpg.4b6edf344537a6a26fdb4998f0231e85.jpg

IMG_20200112_140915_1fffffffffffff.thumb.JPG.adcc3ae75aeff0c1a737df816a68b5c8.JPG

Goce, that looks amazing, beautiful color too. I'm not sure if he'll be blending into the fenders, he didn't mention it, but he's a great painter, so I'm not too worried about it. Will update when I know better though...

Whith this white paint it's not as difficult: no metal flakes, no clear coat and most importantly there is not much color to loose even after years of direct sunlight. You mostly have to choose the right shade and polish the car so that the shine is the same all around.

I have seen blue-grey cars with allmost no blue left, it's simply grey until you open the door and see how it was when new. A partial respray on those must be quite the challenge.

• 91MR2 changed the title to Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...