Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...

91MR2

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Superblackbird said:

...This is my MI 16 which I sold a few years ago.  I loved the car (had a 405S before that) but it was totally unreliable in the cold weather we get in Calgary.  Anything above minus 15 C was great...

Damn - I comb the adjacent for sale sites for Peugeot pretty regularly and surprised an Mi-16 so close would have escaped me!  Between myself and friends mining for cool cars - It's pretty rare for one to pop up for sale without getting a heads up.  :)  I'd be seriously tempted if I every came across a CDN spec Mi-16 in nice shape.

@91MR2 - Any comments on the ground & electrical connection checking and cleaning?  With it being intermittent, it seems more and more likely to me that it could be a connectivity issue.

Rabin

7 hours ago, Bean said:

Damn - I comb the adjacent for sale sites for Peugeot pretty regularly and surprised an Mi-16 so close would have escaped me!  Between myself and friends mining for cool cars - It's pretty rare for one to pop up for sale without getting a heads up.  :)  I'd be seriously tempted if I every came across a CDN spec Mi-16 in nice shape.

@91MR2 - Any comments on the ground & electrical connection checking and cleaning?  With it being intermittent, it seems more and more likely to me that it could be a connectivity issue.

Rabin

Hi Rabin, I've checked everything I can see, and nothing is loose/dirty. My running issues have been gone for a few weeks now, only issue left is the CEL, and it pretty much only comes on when at idle at a light or on decel to a stop sign, etc., goes away once you take off and are under load again. I have an appointment with my mechanic on the 20th, he is going to give the car a full once over, clean the injectors (quite sure they were definitely a problem at one point due to the 2 & 3 plugs fouling, even if they are mostly cleaned out by now), and see where that takes us...

This would not be considered a cursory visual check - this is a remove, clean, and deoxit/dilectric grease/whatever electrical connection sealing trick you have type adventure.  
Every connector you can come across is pulled apart, cleaned, treated, and reassembled while verifying wires are good.  Grounds especially need to come apart, cleaned, and treated.  Check the wires for internal corrosion at the terminal ends - if you see any blue powder / corroding copper then it’ll need further attention.

Visual inspections just don’t cut it.

Also - Finding truly exceptional mechanics is a very daunting task.  Don’t underestimate how much more thoroughly a DIY person can be as a mechanic simply can’t charge a customer the time it would take to be as thorough as a knowledgeable enthusiast can spend on their own car...  :)

Rabin

Rabin, I certainly understand the last part. I've gotten very familiar with this car over the last several months, mostly out of necessity, because some of the people I spoke to in the beginning of this project looked like they had an appendicitis after I told them I have a 91 Peugeot that needs some work…no one wanted to work on the thing, so it forced me to do a lot of jobs on it, and in many ways I am grateful for that…I am also glad though that my friend, and other main mechanic on the peugeot were on board and willing help to get me this far as well…they were tremendous help and the car would not be this far along without their amazing work…but they have other stuff going on right now, as do I… 

Moving forward, we are now approaching mid July, and I spent the last several months pretty much exclusively working on this car in my free time. I have many other things going on right now that need tending to, and I am kind of out of time, at least for now, to tool around with the Peugeot work (although I've been driving it nearly every day, running tons of fuel through it). This mechanic that I am taking the car to is a 30 year father and son operation, and they each have their own Lotus Esprit. How cool is that? They are true car enthusiasts, and really know their stuff. They are actually looking forward to working on the car, which also excites me…

Knowing that it will be in their capable hands gives me some peace of mind, while I catch up on many other things over the next few weeks. I am thrilled with how far the Peugeot has come this year, it's better than it has ever been in my tenure of ownership (and better than it's been since probably the mid-90's I'd guess), and I've really grown to love it. Hopefully these guys can finish off the CEL that I have been chasing, and then I can pretty much call the car done…

Also, I *may* have gotten another summer car recently that I'm looking forward to playing around with too...

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

Haha, Someone likes those high revving engines, i'm not sure Mi16 can't even compare to the K20 in the S 2K. They are 20 years and continents apart haha?, have fun open tops are awesome in the summer, the 405 can wait till winter, just drive it from time to time ? ?.

Goce.

Thanks Goce, but don't worry, I'll still be driving the 405 a ton, just taking a little break from working on it, and going to let a real mechanic deal with it, as I have kind of exhausted my knowledge base on it. Plus with all the other cars, I have to catch up on fluid changes, tires, etc. It all adds up...

Damn - I comb the adjacent for sale sites for Peugeot pretty regularly and surprised an Mi-16 so close would have escaped me!  Between myself and friends mining for cool cars - It's pretty rare for one to pop up for sale without getting a heads up.  :)  I'd be seriously tempted if I every came across a CDN spec Mi-16 in nice shape.

Well it was more like 12 yrs ago. It was A Vancouver car and no rust in excellent shape and 5sp.  

Jim, thanks for the message, I replied back with my email…

Rabin, you should definitely try to get your hands on one, I've learned a new level of appreciation for my car, it took me many years to find one, and even with all the work that I have done to it in recent months, it was still a good, rust free, car to start with. I'm just not sure how many of these are left anymore…

A bit late but i remember, to show you my handmade dipstick handle. I made it out of bronze, brass, copper, it has O rings at the bottom and its lasted 5-6 years now, but i think it may outlast the car.

IMG_20200714_073739.thumb.jpg.5943ef62429cc2c9cfc09329428bcaeb.jpg

IMG_20200714_073757.thumb.jpg.6f809964d3b34ca446b5aaa42f2bbbc3.jpg

6 hours ago, SouvenirCup said:

Given your stable of options, how do you like driving the 405? I guess it’s not really directly comparable to the other choices, as it’s a very different kind of car, just curious.

Ha, tricky question...

In all honesty, from a purely objective standpoint, the Peugeot on most levels would be the worst car I own...

However...

I truly love the 405. It is a product of a different time, and it was amazing for when it came out. I also love cars from that era as that is what I grew up with. I always appreciated lower weight cars with more modest hp, as I have always felt that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than the other way around...

Plus, and most importantly, the Mi16 is the only car I can take my daughter in until she is older...and what can beat that?

So suffice it to say, the Peugeot will stay a favorite in my stable for years to come...

Great answer!  So much of Peugeot ownership is all about the feeling one gets driving them, and what they're like in concert together.  100% correct on driving slow cars fast, they're so fun and so engaging without speeds that get you into serious trouble or endanger others.  For me - truly quick cars need to be enjoyed on track, but the street can still be fun with simple analogue cars that are just plain fun to drive.  Suspension, brakes, steering feel, comfort - these cars do so much so well.  Very much underappreciated.

I've got two kids and love wagons, so my daily drivers are a 2006 Volvo V70R, and a 2008 BMW 535xi Touring M-Sport.  Both 300HP, AWD wolves in sheeps clothing, and astonishingly quick cars, but it's still the Peugeot's that have my heart.

Rabin

16 hours ago, Bean said:

Great answer!  So much of Peugeot ownership is all about the feeling one gets driving them, and what they're like in concert together.  100% correct on driving slow cars fast, they're so fun and so engaging without speeds that get you into serious trouble or endanger others.  For me - truly quick cars need to be enjoyed on track, but the street can still be fun with simple analogue cars that are just plain fun to drive.  Suspension, brakes, steering feel, comfort - these cars do so much so well.  Very much underappreciated.

I've got two kids and love wagons, so my daily drivers are a 2006 Volvo V70R, and a 2008 BMW 535xi Touring M-Sport.  Both 300HP, AWD wolves in sheeps clothing, and astonishingly quick cars, but it's still the Peugeot's that have my heart.

Rabin

Rabin, we share the same sentiments and interests it seems, I also years ago had an '04 Volvo S60R. One of the only cars I "miss" when I think back on all the cars I've bought and sold over the years (has to be at least 30 by now). Good news is a good friend of mine just bought an '05, and is storing it at my place until he gets it on the road. He also has always wanted an S2000, so we are both covered now, ha...

On 7/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, Bean said:

I've got two kids and love wagons, so my daily drivers are a 2006 Volvo V70R...

Rabin, here's a few shots of my friend's recently acquired '05 S60R. Mine was the exact same color combo, but all stock (this one has a few modifications), and of course 6 speed manual...

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

That 05SR is pretty sweet - even has the sport body kit too which are rare.  I waited for an 06/07 because I wanted the 6sp auto (because Wife), the upgraded bevel gear sleeve, and Haldex 3.  Absolutely one of the best all round cars I’ve ever driven.  She got all new 4C suspension this past Spring and it rides so well with the 245/45-17 Conti DWS tires - pretty much zero side hop.

Rabin

1 hour ago, Bean said:

That 05SR is pretty sweet - even has the sport body kit too which are rare.  I waited for an 06/07 because I wanted the 6sp auto (because Wife), the upgraded bevel gear sleeve, and Haldex 3.  Absolutely one of the best all round cars I’ve ever driven.  She got all new 4C suspension this past Spring and it rides so well with the 245/45-17 Conti DWS tires - pretty much zero side hop.

Rabin

I totally agree, I've thought about getting another one for so many years now...my concern is that the newest one is now nearly 15 years old, so it would likely be maintenance heavy at this point in it's life, and I just don't want that at this point (I bought my '04 in '09)...too many other cars I own are already in that boat...

On a more Peugeot note...

Took my car for a nice long ride this evening, and for the first time in my tenure of ownership, the CEL did not come on once...

I'm not even sure what to say about this. It fixed itself? I mean, the CEL has been coming on seemingly less and less over time, but still, it would often come on coming up to traffic lights or at idle for a bit, but this was unprecedented. Could it be that enough new fuel has been run through the car at this point where it has somehow cleaned itself all out? Seems too good to be true...

But man, what a ride...

Keep driving it, they don't like to seat. On the note of volvos, i have the same gearbox as many of the volvo the Asian 6 speed auto in my 607, how come i'm beating BMWs with more power in my 607. I've noticed if i have the gearbox and suspension in sport it's noticeably faster it uses more of the power band and feels like the torque converter locks up only in sport mode any thought, i'm sure peugeot is heavier than bmw.

IMG_20200702_114008.thumb.jpg.5d83e8aa79dda93123a579866d2e1829.jpg

Well Goce, that would be awesome if that was the case, and again if bad fuel was my issue all along, I guess it makes sense since I've been running more and more through it. I will be taking it to the cars and coffee tomorrow morning as long as they are still having it. I still just can't believe I had a long drive with it without a check engine light coming on and off. Still baffles me…

Joe, any chance you are granny driving it? Those engines want to be rev. A good friend of my had issues with stumbling and failing spark plugs, i helped him going thru diagnosis everything checked out. We changed cars i drove his car for a week no problems, give it back it was perfect for a month after that and problems started again, by chance i got in with him to go to the store and noticed he in not using the throttle, he is changing gears at 2000 rpm. I had to teach him how to drive after that he never had problems again. I don't mean no disrespect to those who drive like that but some cars really don't like that.

8 hours ago, Goce said:

Joe, any chance you are granny driving it? Those engines want to be rev. A good friend of my had issues with stumbling and failing spark plugs, i helped him going thru diagnosis everything checked out. We changed cars i drove his car for a week no problems, give it back it was perfect for a month after that and problems started again, by chance i got in with him to go to the store and noticed he in not using the throttle, he is changing gears at 2000 rpm. I had to teach him how to drive after that he never had problems again. I don't mean no disrespect to those who drive like that but some cars really don't like that.

Goce, no offense taken, it is a fair question, but the answer is no, I definitely rev it out appropriately. Problem is that sometimes even when I start the car cold and let it warm up, the cel can come on. It often comes on typically at idle at a light, but once you take off it goes off and pretty much stays off.

Honestly, the car has been running so well lately, it's bothering me less and less. It's really becoming almost a game to me now, because it is all that is left to make the car right, and it's like the car just doesn't want that...but we'll figure it out...

Looking forward to seeing what the shop finds tomorrow...

• 91MR2 changed the title to Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...