Joe's '91 405 Mi16 (and '90 SW and '92 Mi16)...

91MR2

6 hours ago, 91MR2 said:

Hi Bean, good advice, and I understand, but cutting them at the same length ensured that nothing would be too far off as far as overall length of the harness, and that was my bigger concern. I do make sure every connection is well done and taped tight so that no wires can interfere with one another...haven't messed one up yet, fortunately...

Still waiting for that remaining iso pin connector, but once it arrives, I can wire it up and install the radio in the the SW, as that interior is otherwise complete now. Pictures below.

The Mi16 interior is also done minus the rear seats, the seat back is still with my interior guy. Will be doing fluids this week though, while I wait...

IMG_5372 (2).jpg

IMG_5370 (2).jpg

IMG_5369 (2).jpg

IMG_5368 (2).jpg

Been following your thread for a while Joe, you have a nice collection of 405's! I am curious what radio you decided on. I assume aftermarket, but curious to hear. Blaupunkt Breman by any chance?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Peugeots_505 said:

Been following your thread for a while Joe, you have a nice collection of 405's! I am curious what radio you decided on. I assume aftermarket, but curious to hear. Blaupunkt Breman by any chance?

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread, they can kind of take on a life of their own over time, I sometimes look back at the beginning of this thread just to see how much it has progressed, as well as my familiarity with these cars now...

For the radios, the prior owner had the jvc kd-s680 in all 3 of the cars. I've kept them, just simplified the wiring back to a more oem plug/play set up. The last radio to install however, which will be for the SW, the cd player seems to be on the firtz, but I have an old Kenwood that is period correct, and will be installing that. OEM+ we will call it...

Ha - I remember when they came out with removable head units, and then the detachable face ones came out and people were like “Game changer!”

Now my kids just look at me weird when I try to explain any old media forms!

Rabin

Right, but regrettably if the criminal is so bold to have justified breaking into a car to steal the potential radio there, the decision has already been made...

In other news, I got the red car up on the lift today and dumped the motor and gear oil. Also removed the sad and broken fog lights and cleaned up the housings in preparation of the new fogs going on tomorrow. Tested them already, and they both work, excited about that for sure...

IMG_5619.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

On 1/28/2023 at 1:08 PM, 91MR2 said:

The kenwood going into the SW. Period correct, with faded font/buttons even...

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5373 (2).jpg

Nice, I have a similar era Kenwood in my 84 505 TD wagon. Has a cassette however and no detachable face. The sound isn't bad, however I think it's a little out of the age group for my 84. My other Peugeot's still sport their original radios. 

Found a pic:

IMG_1088.thumb.JPG.d21d45c79f682e29c3a093b2fa9c59af.JPG

On 1/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, 91MR2 said:

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread, they can kind of take on a life of their own over time, I sometimes look back at the beginning of this thread just to see how much it has progressed, as well as my familiarity with these cars now...

For the radios, the prior owner had the jvc kd-s680 in all 3 of the cars. I've kept them, just simplified the wiring back to a more oem plug/play set up. The last radio to install however, which will be for the SW, the cd player seems to be on the firtz, but I have an old Kenwood that is period correct, and will be installing that. OEM+ we will call it...

I know what you mean, when I started working on my first Peugeot some 9 years ago, I only did it out of necessity. My father had his old 84 505 TD (now mine) sitting in the driveway and it needed to be moved. Rather than junking it I wanted to get it running and with a little bit of work I did exactly that. Now fast forward till now, all I own, drive, and fix (for the most part) are my three Peugeot's. It's quite the learning experience, but more rewarding than I ever thought it could be.

Top tip: Put some thick 3M Stoneguard on the fog lights.

Also, the housings seem to be made out of bubble gum (I know they're LDPE) - mine were shredded when I scrapped the car, due to small micro hits by gravel. I sold them despite that after I scrapped the car. The optical units with their Stoneguard were perfect, like new.

This project just took a little turn...

As you all may recall, I've mentioned before that this red Mi16 has had it's rear quarter panels replaced. I had assumed a rear end collision to likely be the culprit, but after taking a real close look at the car on my lift, there was really no sign of that, however what I did find was something else...rust...

Nothing too terrible, but enough to make me now think that it was rust issues that may in fact have warranted the rear quarters to be replaced. After pulling all the trunk carpets out, I was able to reveal some of the fun. Well, nothing to do here but start grinding away until I get to good metal. We will make this car right, I just wasn't prepared for all this...

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg

In order to fully process all of what is ahead, I took a step back for a minute to figure out a plan. At the moment, I have an excellent body shop already lined up to basically re-do the rear 1/4 panels, since the bodywork just hasn't held up. It will be done right. All the inner work, ie. trunk floor and wheel wells, I'm going to tackle. My friend has a welder, and since none of this work will be visible, we will just get some good metal back in there, and once done, will seam seal everything from the inside, and undercoat it all from the outside. Since this car will never again see winter driving, I believe it will all hold up. Again, not what I was hoping to find, but these are old cars with stories to tell...

I thought it deserved a wash today, so I pulled it out of the garage and did so (in 38 degree weather no less). It will be worth it when done...

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5743.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

Man that is some nasty rust! Are a lot of them around you that bad?

I remember in 2004, being in Québec City and seeing a red MI16 with MASSIVE portions of both rocker panels missing. That was the only time until now that I have seen a 405 rusted that badly. Seen below:

1944839923_405MI16Quebec2004rusty.thumb.JPG.ef3421f28b2685836f5190d9a7be5514.JPG

I recall being on a Peugeot factory tour at Sochaux just as the the 405 was about to be introduced. The tour guide said that the 505 and the "model that will soon be introduced" have/will have significant panels made of galvanised sheet steel, but that was highlighting a new problem: the only places where there is not a sacrificial anode is at the spot welds. Which is of course at key stress points, where you don't want corrosion at all. They were working on weldable primers that would seal the spot welds at the time. None of those coatings last for long anyways.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Mike, the rust here is fortunately all in the trunk/inner fender area. It's not something I was happy to find, but it's nothing structural, and the rest of the car is surprisingly free of rust. Again, not ideal, but it's not the end of the road for this car. I brought detailed pictures of all of this to my body shop, and they aren't intimidated at all. We will soldier on and make this car right...it's now a mission...

This is regrettably what we sometimes deal with in these great lakes climates. Thankfully none of my other cars are afflicted with any of this. However this car has certainly seen some winters in its lifetime. But it will never see that again once I'm done with it...

Agree the rust is quite minimal and very much isolated to the areas you exposed…

We deal with rust a fair bit in our climate and I’d be pretty happy to have that kind of rust problem!  I assume no body work or body paint needed?

Are lower door seams, trunk and hood edges rust free as well?

Rabin

High Bean, the rest of the car is basically rust free, where the rear quarters were replaced the bodywork is starting to show through, more a function I believe of just bad body work done in the first place, which my shop will certainly remedy when they repaint more or less the whole rear of the car. Quite honestly, because of how good the rest of the car is, it allows me to rationalize spending this money to do the bodywork correctly, i.e. metal replacement where needed, etc. It will not be cheap, but in my opinion, it is the only way to save the car properly…

Check the trunk seal and taillamps, there must been standing water to make it rust that much, in the 405's any water from the trunk usually ends up under the bottom of the back seat when it drives downhill. Its defenetly fixable, you just need a good metal guy.

The SW was in need of new fluids, so up on the lift it went. Good news, the car had a tremendously bad oil leak when I got it, however after putting on the lift, I noticed the oil drain plug was barely finger tight. After changing the motor oil/filter, gear oil, and then tightening everything well, etc., the car has been dry as a bone underneath. Was also a good opportunity to degrease everything down below. Took it outside for a nice wash afterwards. This car should be really nice when I'm done with it...

IMG_5782.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5767 (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's the little things...

The red Mi16 came with a set of floor mats that while branded Peugeot, are not for a 405. Likely a 505 is my guess. The passenger and rear mats fit fine, but the driver's side doesn't at all. So after talking to some local carpet stores about binding an old 30 year old floor mat, I found one willing to do so. After some careful (?) measuring today, I cut it to shape and then dropped it off. They will do the final trimming/shaping. Hoping to have it back in about a week...

IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6038 (2).jpg

Started working on my metal patches today, in preparation for the welding/fiberglass overlay to come. Got the passenger side done, quite pleased with how it will all come together, should be very strong, especially with the FG on top of everything...

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg