Life is Good When....

f s

Haha!  That's awesome...

I remember taking our 535xiT M-Sport to a Euro car show and was chatting with this guy that LOVED the car.  Talked for a good 15m about the car with him checking it out thoroughly - Then I asked what he was driving.  "Oh - that black Hurcan over there..."  

More important question now is:  Are you driving an Mi-16 again?  For some reason I thought they were out of commission?  

Rabin

I still have two - the S wagon and the '92 Mi16. Wagon needs some muffler work (suddenly it's embarrassingly loud!), but running great. Mi16 looks great but driving me nuts.

Two-yr. old battery, alternator, etc. have been checked out at Advanced Auto Parts and everything checks out good but keeps stranding me (my battery pack having a harder and harder time doing its job). I charge it up - the car - at home, it starts right up. Buy the groceries, come back to the car, engine sounds like it cranks once-around, then dead; not even clicking. A jump start from another car gets it going instantly!

It was doing this last year. I put in a new starter from Brian H., which seemed to do the deal, but it's doing it again. Alternator checks out good. I put in a different (old) coil yesterday and will be checking it out today. Not optimistic. I'm thinking maybe distributor, but I'm not in the mood to go there. I AM open to suggestions.

But thanks for asking. They're still worth having.

fs

I’m guessing internally corroded battery cables or corroded grounds.  Check the chassis and engine side grounds too.

The check they do at Advanced will be a battery load test, and maybe running voltage - but very doubtful they’re checking cranking amps or high resistance in cables.

Rabin

I've had the same problem with couple of my 405's with the battery draining and needing a high amp jump start, there are couple of things going on in each case. First was a bad battery it has a bad sail and it will drain itself, easy enough to check just swap batteries with other known good one. Bad chassis to engine ground is very common on 405, buy 2-3 thick ground cables and connect them from the battery to the chassis, from the battery to the engine block and from the engine block to the chassis. And most difficult to find is a partly failing diode in your alternator there is no good way to test it i've had some luck with thermal camera on a cold day the alternator is warmer than the engine. You should also disconnect all aftermarket devices like radios, alarms radar detectors... Last thing i can say is from experience, the Mi16 especially the XU9j4 engines are very tight tolerance engines, they get tight, hard to start if not driven often, i've had my mi16x4 what sound like a weak battery and in fact is the starter motor struggling to turn the engine over because its been sitting for a week and all the oil has drained back in the oil pan. I've found if i crank it over 3-4 times and then stop wait for 5 sec then try starting it it starts much easier, it gets oiled. I hope this wasn't too boring to read and i've not made too many mistakes writing it so you can understand it.