Goce's 06 Peugeot 607 Adventures ( headaches)

Goce

Thank you ikenna, i still drive my 605 and enjoy trouble free motoring with it, the 605 is more comfortable on bumpy roads, i also don't worry as much about hitting the big putholes with the 15" rims on the 605. I'm running 18" on the 607 and they transmit every small imperfection. When i first went to look at my 607 in the advert it said manuel gearbox, but as i discovered letter peugeot never installed a manual gearbox behind this engine. Something about the 440 Nm of torque pulling against the 2 tone vehicle with a manuel will have to make everything much much stronger. I've fix the brake pedal switch that got rid of the ABS and Esp errors, in fact i only have one code on the dash for the auto adjusting headlights but i haven't had the opportunity to put the car on a lift or on a inspection pit to check it. I don't know how much you drive weekly, on what kind of roads, but for what i'm using my cars they are perfect, wouldn't change them at all. From looking your car is a 2007 or 2008, different taillight and wheels, do you have the electric closing trunk and the electric window curtains?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Goce said:

Thank you ikenna, i still drive my 605 and enjoy trouble free motoring with it, the 605 is more comfortable on bumpy roads, i also don't worry as much about hitting the big putholes with the 15" rims on the 605. I'm running 18" on the 607 and they transmit every small imperfection. When i first went to look at my 607 in the advert it said manuel gearbox, but as i discovered letter peugeot never installed a manual gearbox behind this engine. Something about the 440 Nm of torque pulling against the 2 tone vehicle with a manuel will have to make everything much much stronger. I've fix the brake pedal switch that got rid of the ABS and Esp errors, in fact i only have one code on the dash for the auto adjusting headlights but i haven't had the opportunity to put the car on a lift or on a inspection pit to check it. I don't know how much you drive weekly, on what kind of roads, but for what i'm using my cars they are perfect, wouldn't change them at all. From looking your car is a 2007 or 2008, different taillight and wheels, do you have the electric closing trunk and the electric window curtains?

Yes, mine is 2007 production. Also, mine has the electric rear window curtain/sunblind and Motorised trunk (electric closing trunk). Unfortunately, the Motorised trunk failed (the plastic gears in it cracked due to poor handling by someone). I have been searching for a good used one, but yet to find. 

My former 605 V6 had ZPJ Engine. Is yours ZPJ, ZPJ4 or inline-4?

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

2 hours ago, Ikenna said:

Yes, mine is 2007 production. Also, mine has the electric rear window curtain/sunblind and Motorised trunk (electric closing trunk). Unfortunately, the Motorised trunk failed (the plastic gears in it cracked due to poor handling by someone). I have been searching for a good used one, but yet to find. 

My former 605 V6 had ZPJ Engine. Is yours ZPJ, ZPJ4 or inline-4?

My 605 started life 1996 ZPJ automatic, the gearbox had been flash with the wrong oil and was really annoying made the engine feel underpowered on low rpm, so i often found my self using the kickdown and keeping it 4-6000rpm this made lots of noise and used too much fuel. At that time fuel prices wore at their highest, not wanting to change the car because it suits my needs and takes on the punishment like a champ, decided to make a hybrid. I had a series 1 605 SRDT rusting away left from my brother after he drove it till it starts to fold on it self, it had a new gearbox, clutch, suspension, the engine had close to 2 million kilometers, but i swapped it anyway and is still running, i've driven it around 450 000 km in the last 6 years. That 2,1td XUD11ate engine is one tought engine, i'm not easy on it but it takes it and keeps running. To answer your question now it has the mehanical bosch pump 2,1td  inline-4. Still starts on first turn no cranking, it's noisy, i often get a lifter tick, it uses the same hydraulic lifters as later HDI engines and some of them are probably collapsed.

25 minutes ago, Goce said:

My 605 started life 1996 ZPJ automatic, the gearbox had been flash with the wrong oil and was really annoying made the engine feel underpowered on low rpm, so i often found my self using the kickdown and keeping it 4-6000rpm this made lots of noise and used too much fuel. At that time fuel prices wore at their highest, not wanting to change the car because it suits my needs and takes on the punishment like a champ, decided to make a hybrid. I had a series 1 605 SRDT rusting away left from my brother after he drove it till it starts to fold on it self, it had a new gearbox, clutch, suspension, the engine had close to 2 million kilometers, but i swapped it anyway and is still running, i've driven it around 450 000 km in the last 6 years. That 2,1td XUD11ate engine is one tought engine, i'm not easy on it but it takes it and keeps running. To answer your question now it has the mehanical bosch pump 2,1td  inline-4. Still starts on first turn no cranking, it's noisy, i often get a lifter tick, it uses the same hydraulic lifters as later HDI engines and some of them are probably collapsed.

That's good.

I have read and heard many testimonies or positive reviews on Peugeot Diesel engines. But we don't use diesel Peugeots in Nigeria and I have zero knowledge on their systems, most especially the HDi etc.

I enjoyed my 605 when I had him. I had to sell because the body and interior were in bad shapes before I bought the car (abused badly by previous users in Nigeria). So after I used the car for awhile, I lost interest in the car. I told myself that I may buy another if I see a clean one, especially with ZPJ4 Engine. But I am focused on my 505 project for now.

I've been daly driving this car for more than a month, having A/C in the summer is nice. So far its been good to me, the gearbox has its hard shifts when warm at low speed, i'm hoping another oil flush will fix it last one made a big difference, otherwise performance is great you can definitely feel the 440 Nm of torque, other then the tires at speed its eerily quiet, i've found myself many times now looking at the speedo in disbelief i'm i really going that quickly. You can see i'm not afraid to getting it dirty.

IMG_20200625_114550_1.thumb.jpg.0fe1b214de9fa016aa6212bf619f1baa.jpg

18 minutes ago, Goce said:

I've been daly driving this car for more than a month, having A/C in the summer is nice. So far its been good to me, the gearbox has its hard shifts when warm at low speed, i'm hoping another oil flush will fix it last one made a big difference, otherwise performance is great you can definitely feel the 440 Nm of torque, other then the tires at speed its eerily quiet, i've found myself many times now looking at the speedo in disbelief i'm i really going that quickly. You can see i'm not afraid to getting it dirty.

IMG_20200625_114550_1.thumb.jpg.0fe1b214de9fa016aa6212bf619f1baa.jpg

Hmm! Your torque is interesting. Yours has more power than mine. Mine is 290 Nm for petrol v6. 

Yes, 607 is a very quiet car, no matter the speed. You barely hear wind noise. 

Ikenna351, Lion king - Monk.

Also want to point out that it's commendable that you were positive during the lockdown when majority of humans in the world were negative at the time you carried out and completed your project. You spent the lockdown doing something positive that is now benefiting you, while majority were busy focusing on nothing, fearful and complaining all through because of the lockdown, rather than using the free time to engage in things they love, like what you did on your 607. It's really very inspiring. Thank you Goce. 

On 7/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, Ikenna said:

Also want to point out that it's commendable that you were positive during the lockdown when majority of humans in the world were negative at the time you carried out and completed your project. You spent the lockdown doing something positive that is now benefiting you, while majority were busy focusing on nothing, fearful and complaining all through because of the lockdown, rather than using the free time to engage in things they love, like what you did on your 607. It's really very inspiring. Thank you Goce. 

Ikenna, Thank You for the kind words, i don't know what exactly is the state of the covid 19 in other countries, here is really bad. First few weeks of march when schools stopped working in my opinion many people had already had it and cured the virus, i know i had a very bad case of sore throat, high temperature, short of breath in january and february, before anyone know about covid 19. I leave a very active life, i'm working couple of jobs at all time and i'm in between people all day, those months with the stay at home lockdown i still was working all day long, but i've been using medical breathing mask when in public, more for others then for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I took this picture a while back, the speedo come at a round number. It's been very reliable, i've come to the conclusion, this car cannot replace my 605, the ride is less comfortable on the rough roads i'm driving. It also cost much more in maintenance, i'll give it few more months, if it doesn't impress me, i'll get rid of it.

IMG_20200702_114008.thumb.jpg.e21115f0dedec5b1de3b64cc5556d4e4.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 4:28 PM, Goce said:

I took this picture a while back, the speedo come at a round number. It's been very reliable, i've come to the conclusion, this car cannot replace my 605, the ride is less comfortable on the rough roads i'm driving. It also cost much more in maintenance, i'll give it few more months, if it doesn't impress me, i'll get rid of it.

IMG_20200702_114008.thumb.jpg.e21115f0dedec5b1de3b64cc5556d4e4.jpg

It could be because of the variable suspension and low profile tyres since its V6. Also, the 18" wheels from 407 coupé you swapped in may even make it worse,  I think. 

Since you are good with Diesel systems,  another good Peugeot I would suggest to replace the 607 V6 HDi with is 407 Coupé V6 with 3.0 HDI 240. The engine has more power than the 2.7 in your 607 and consume less fuel, as Peugeot claimed. 407 V6 Coupé is one of the best road handling cars I have ever test driven. However,  the maintenance cost will either be the same or higher than your 607, which you don't like about your 607. At least,  I know 407 V6 Saloon, SW & coupé maintenance cost are higher than my 607 here in Nigeria. Even the shock absorbers of the 407 V6 coupé are similar (not identical) to your 607 V6 (variable), though more expensive to buy, replace or maintain than 607. So, the uncomfort you get while driving your 607 on rough roads might be there on 407 V6 coupé.  At least,  I experienced same on the ones I have test driven, including 407 V6 Saloon & SW. Variable suspensions are sporty and harsh on rough roads, generally.  But probably, 605 V6 suspension is softer since yours it's also variable, I believe. This reminded me how my 605 V6 suspension was back then.

406 is another great car I would recommend to you (since you are after lower cost of maintenance and comfortable suspension experience on rough roads). The 406 suspensions are very soft (no variable) and cost of maintenance of 406 are very low, generally, when compared with 407 & 607 Phase II. 

Hope that helps.

Ikenna351,  Lion King  - Monk.

Ikenna, i do a lot of driving on mountain roads my country is very small and mountains, i've been doing the same trip one day with the 605 other with 607 and the 607 seams to make me feel exhausted. Which was a big surprise for me. I know if a do the same trip with my other car the little russian 4x4 it will take twice as long and i'll have a headache. I still haven't given up on it i'm loving the working A/C my other cars don't have. I've driven lots of 407, petrol and HDI 100kw they don't hold up here, there aluminium suspension has very high failure rate, i've seen mounts ripped from the subframe.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the summer heat seems to been too much for the battery in the 607, it was weak when i bought the car but was starting it no problems. But few days ago while getting ready for a trip i rolled the windows down and the car freaked out, windscreen wipers come on locks started to flicker, i've seen this before so in less than 5 minutes i changed the batteries i grabbed the fresh one from the little niva wich was parked next to the 607, it undersized for it but it worked. Drove the 607 for few days with it i had to do a long trip around my entire country when i come back, went and bought me a new battery got it home, took the caps off the terminals and it's not new, fustrated took it back, got a new one also bought me 8 more liters of gearbox oil to do couple oil flushes on the gearbox, yeah just as i had to change the battery is started to rain heavy. Battery and the oil come to less than 100$ not too bad, it's surprising how much prices vary from place to place, people are saying it's gotten worse during this pandemic.

IMG_20200807_135837.thumb.jpg.fe81e2ef4b535bd1882b8d30e58d7054.jpgIMG_20200807_135845.thumb.jpg.7abd00f9bb6b8b4056c03a5271244b1c.jpgIMG_20200807_140641.thumb.jpg.f53ebb7b5f86372103e54f15ad45a3bb.jpg

It's been a warm summer, and this car has keep cool all summer long, i've also learned to use some of the equipment that my other cars don't have, i found out that it has voice commands that are in german, but i also found out i can use cruise control with my voice, which is lot of fun on a boring highway, when it mistaken 120km/h with 220 km/h and goes full throttle to reach that haha.

IMG_20200803_151044.thumb.jpg.02becd11a9f4b78f8c394b34b6cf0d6f.jpg

On 8/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, Goce said:

It's been a warm summer, and this car has keep cool all summer long, i've also learned to use some of the equipment that my other cars don't have, i found out that it has voice commands that are in german, but i also found out i can use cruise control with my voice, which is lot of fun on a boring highway, when it mistaken 120km/h with 220 km/h and goes full throttle to reach that haha.

IMG_20200803_151044.thumb.jpg.02becd11a9f4b78f8c394b34b6cf0d6f.jpg

Wow! Didn't even know voice command works with cruise control in the 607. Never tried mine. Mine may not have the voice command for it doesn't have bluetooth, unless it works even if the car is not bluetoothequipped. Does yours have bluetooth (pairs your phone with the radio)?

Ikenna351,  Lion king  - Monk. 

5 hours ago, Goce said:

I've never tried pairing my phone, i'm not too much in to music, vice commands are activated on the side indicator stock, push it in like the horn on a 605 and speak.

No, the the bluetooth and pairing of phone with the car I was referring to was about receiving phone calls via the car speakers and microphone. I don't think you can play music through the phone on the 607 bluetooth. It's just for making and receiving phone calls.

Will go through the user manual again to know which of the switches that controls the voice command.  Though,  I am not into cruise control.  Don't enjoy using it. 

Ikenna351, Lion King  - Monk.

I don't use cruise control on small roads or short trips, but on a 200 km trip on a 3 or 4 lane highway, i just tell it what speed and lift my foot of the gas, it hard to explain, but my car because of the electric throttle and is constantly on boost the throttle is very touchy, i'm constantly accelerating then coasting, the cruise control is very smooth and seams to do beter on the MPG then my foot.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time, last couple of months i've been using this car a lot, the little niva is apart, and the 605 is resting, lets start with the good things. The engine is running perfectly, no check engine lights at all, the fuel economy has improved, the gearbox is shifting smoother, less valve body sticking, i've learn more about it its power band, its sweet spots. I've put it thru couple more cooling system torture tests and it is not overheating. But that is where the good news stop, i'm having a slow coolant leak, only place where i can find coolant is the valley of the engine it is probably the thermostat housing, i had the power steering fluid boil on me once that made a mess, so that part of the engine bay needs washing. The New battery died, and the place that sold it to me changed it and give it back, i'll have to leave it to die completely, i've been using the battery from the little niva in the meanwhile. The last and worst news is a nut fell on the front windscreen, right on the top edge and cracked it, so i'll need a new windscreen. To end this update on a happier note i attached some photos of it in the mountains.

IMG_20200907_120346fffd.thumb.jpg.cf9077b781d4a66755c4a72fa7cb6cc3.jpg

IMG_20200908_175505.thumb.jpg.c41bc22ce28bd7e5f2848716c9630b95.jpg

IMG_20200908_124956.thumb.jpg.64c04cb39456d530b396cbfdcef80e30.jpg

IMG_20200908_154828.thumb.jpg.85e6f37ee330b8ad4ce189e9ecc5104d.jpg

IMG_20200908_160811_1fdfff.thumb.jpg.db96f299534c0821a63e77b969e5e608.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday and a bit today i did some work on this car. Work that had me waiting for parts for months and once they arrived i've been putting it off. The work in question is the drivers window, because someone sideswiped the car before i bought it and broke the plastic sliders that peugeot used. Those sliders are garbage so i ordered me stronger ones made from aluminium, mainly because i was missing the steel clamp that clamps the window. The new sliders arrived about a month ago but when i went to installed them i realased the cables are messed up. Someone has been spinning the window motor and the cables had twisted in a nut and destroyed the plastic drum that they need to wrap around. So i ordered me a rebuild kit and it arrived about a week ago, in the meanwhile i made and welded on a cable holder that was missing. Then i removed the window and realised that one of the glue on holders was missing so i made me a new one from this aluminium heat sink, i had to stack 3 cutting stones so i can cut 7mm groove for the glass, my 607 has double glazed windows, i used windscreen silicone to glue the new mount and left it overnight to harden. I also did some repairs on the door panel, replaced all the broken door clips glued together some seams where someone had dameged it. And this morning i put it together, now the window works like all the others and the door panel doesn't rattle. I did lost some of the photos, but you can see the repaired mechanism with the new shiny cables and aluminium slides, men do the french overcomplicate things and the tolerances where the window slides is insanely tight.IMG_20200913_120238_1.thumb.jpg.344f7051aca067a8fe1fae60d473af30.jpg

IMG_20200913_123232.thumb.jpg.95034f15948abfc0044d39b70b1109af.jpg

IMG_20200913_194516.thumb.jpg.2351b802680596347c8e476b9b834ea5.jpg

IMG_20200913_194538.thumb.jpg.033e7ac69cdf6849f25761d111066be7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, the crack in the windscreen seems to stopped, but that is not only thing that stopped their, coming home from work in a rainstorm, the windscreen wipers slowed down and stopped followed by a burnt smell. Because of it aerodynamic shape the water flows off the windscreen at speed which is good except the wipers stopped in the middle and only the left edge of my vision is clear so i ended driving like ace ventura with my head sideways. Left the car to rest for 2 days, i've been very busy at work, i drove the 605 and today i decided to see what is the problem, and guess what, it only a blown fuse. I did took off the cover for the mechanism, and greased up the mehanizam, one of the shafts was a bit tight, my thought is that shaft got hot and overloaded the wiper motor. 

IMG_20201001_132638.thumb.jpg.2383d1ace0c6cf1959505d27b4870512.jpg

IMG_20201001_132836.thumb.jpg.1e2f6b907e80c004d0198f91de23d482.jpg

You might want to see if they can drill that crack at the end and it will stop it.  They also claim to be able to fill small cracks here less than 15cm long - but I’ve never had it done.  I always fill rock chips however so they never spread.

Nic that the wiper was an easy fix - curious how the 605 felt after the 607?  Has the 607 been growing on you any more yet?

Rabin

Rabin, it makes no financial sense to even try fixing the windscreen, when it first happened i went to the best place that repairs them. Then the crack was only few sm long, they wanted 80 euros no guarantee if it will be visible, if it will spread and terrible customer service. Then i asked about replacing it in another company that has lots of volume it was 140 euros installed, same brand as the one that it has now so i figured sometime in the winter when i have time i'll take it there and get it replaced, so i'll let it finish cracking. The 605 has much softer ride then the 607 also the tires are 65 series tall agans the 45's on the 607 so a lot more of the road noise is transmitted. Than V6 HDI is much quicker and the 6 speed auto box is always ready to accelerate, its also always shifting, i've changed my  mind about automatic gearboxes, the old 3 and 4 speeds i can't stand them. The asian tf-80sc is berable. On the other hand the 605 with its weight and its engine i'm driving it like a wind up car, if you want to pass some one you mast be in boost or you won't move. There is some fun in that winding it up and using all the power it has, on the 607 i haven't been passed 1/4 throttle in weeks, it pulls so hard and when you think it will stop it pulls much harder, i'm thinking progressive boost levels, because it a monster in 4th, 5th and 6st gear. Don't get me wrong is no drag car, but for its size the french have done it right. I plan to be driving the 605 during the winter because i have new winter tires for it and i don't want to have it destroyed from drivers that don't know how to drive. The 605 is veteran at the streets here.

IMG_20200527_100753.thumb.jpg.a5d0717d13f20401c435568d306d68f9.jpg

• 1 month later...

Over the summer this car has developed a leak in the cooling system, i've been busy and with 3 cars to drive i've been adding water. With the inspection pit done it the first car to get some work done on it. Only place i had coolant was the V on the engine after pressurising the system i found it, the top nipple on the thermostat housing broke off. Disassemble it, remove the intake and the thermostat housing. I've been searching for a new or a used one, all the used are broken even worse than mine, Peugeot dealership is only one that can source one from france and they want 300 euros, that is my paycheck, so i fired up the lathe, made me a hollow bolt, cut threads, used some high temp silicone and fix it. I bought me a new O'Ring and used some more silicone and installed it, fill it with new G12 coolant assembled everything, took it for a test drive and the intake coupler blow off i lost boost, quickly i assemble it on the side of the road. Simple C clip popped off, then i test the cooling system even harder, i got it a bit sideways hit want looked like brake pad with a back tire it took a chunk out of my back tire.

IMG_20201121_143530.thumb.jpg.74c65f79a02a444c5f671b659c7cffd5.jpgIMG_20201121_154544.thumb.jpg.54f1032da03c9b0b30d89e6a80b47bc4.jpgIMG_20201122_165236.thumb.jpg.f4cfd7fc1f2a5b78e527fd128b34b15b.jpgIMG_20201122_165249.thumb.jpg.be3f53e9ed63d807828a4517cae81432.jpgIMG_20201124_140022.thumb.jpg.cf6c8541ed0133ddcd0a83b92b93923d.jpgIMG_20201126_154033.thumb.jpg.eb82fdc3a1d98bd044999eab7179d65a.jpgIMG_20201126_154340.thumb.jpg.5e39c92b8997938c598df1cf6ef5285a.jpg

• 7 months later...

It's been some considerable time since i've updated this thread. The 607 had its ups and downs, early winter started losing lots of coolant.IMG_20210123_142547.thumb.jpg.c854e3d19099a23070e8e34afa0cab60.jpg

Bought a used thermostat housing, hoses replaced them it still was losing coolant and it was collected in the middle of the engine V. I did lots of testing and found it was leaking out of the seals between the oil cooler and the oil filter housing.IMG_20210123_145216.thumb.jpg.b1f0eadef48171c89e7e7639030ce8f6.jpgIMG_20210123_145227.thumb.jpg.c41a66ec5f8aadbbe7bf02820cdd5474.jpg

i've replaced them when i build the engine couple months before with generic ones out of a kit but they melted so i had to have new ones custom made out of voltron rubber, they cost me a lot but after that and adding half a bottle of stop leak it's been solid.IMG_20210127_195718.thumb.jpg.c34b636b0cf64811f05a45dcaef5e24b.jpgIMG_20210127_220550_1.thumb.jpg.455846cd1146ab542ddc023e0f6a9edb.jpg

No loosening of coolant, then i serviced the gearbox again, 8 more liter of fresh fluid that made it very smooth, replace the windscreen and since then i've just driving it.IMG_20210128_191419.thumb.jpg.cc1c05798f7f58944507aea3fee816dd.jpgIMG_20210129_154501.thumb.jpg.49cc150ce548a9a202a61a7456f0355b.jpg

This summer we have had record setting heat waves come thru, you can see 50 degrees centigrade, 120 F and having a car with ice cold A/C was nice. I've had the chance to drive 2 more cars with the same engine one 607 and 407 coupe, they both feel slower, so i'm starting to think my might have some sort of ECU tune. That is probably why i'm having to keep all season tire during this heat because 245 45R18's michelin's just spinn and the traction control  is kicking in. All in all i'm very sudisfited, with those 440Nm or more and the sticky russian all season tires i have on it it walks away on any ting in the city.IMG_20210625_135413.thumb.jpg.4ee4dc8cc5b26f63136654df9519d582.jpgIMG_20210419_181622.thumb.jpg.286318ff7cf3558cc9cf4bff7e807e3b.jpg