Transmission swap

SouvenirCup

I’m just curious, how difficult would it be to swap a manual transmission into an auto on the 505?  Probably 9/10 cars that I find for sale have the 3 speed auto. I’ve spoken to at least one mechanic who described the swap in less than polite words that I won’t repeat on here.

Apart from locating all of the parts, could the job be done without pulling the engine? Are all of the factory mounting points there so nothing has to be fabricated? I’ve seen pictures of the same type transmission get replaced in situ with the car on a lift.

Peugeot is a large car manufacturer, that said they use platforms, which means all the mounting points, holes are the same. I've done couple of manuel swaps, and in my mind are worth doing, if you find a really good car, but you need a donor vehicle with the same engine on many of them engine ECU (computer) is different and can hold the RPM's off throttle. Removing the engine makes the job easier, if you have a two post lift is much easier and you don't need to touch the engine, but at this age is recommended to clean it reseal it change the consumptive parts so you can enjoy it next 10-15 years without fear of a dryroten radiator hose letting go or having stains on your driveway from oil leaks.