Head flow numbers on 505 turbo

Alfanatiker

Hello guys!

I am searching for the intake head flow numbers of the turbo injection engine. Is this information available somewhere? 

Are there differences between the years and the 150-180hp engines?

And btw. Are camshaft data available? Lift in/out? Duration? Overlap? Lobe separation (LSA)?

August did get at head flow tested YEARS ago and they were very good, but I can't recall specifics.  I tried searching the forum, but it might have been on the old Peugeot-L yahoo group.  I'll e-mail him and see if he remembers!

Cam specs should be on the forum if you search, pretty sure Danielson cam specs were posted, but the stock cam specs may not have been.

Big difference between the 150 and 180HP engines was turbo and turbo boost levels.  180HP cars had electronic boost management with an overboost feature if conditions were met.  The other difference was 7:1 compression on the older non intercooled cars, and 7.5:1 for intercooled cars here in North America - Guessing that wasn't the same compression used in Europe however.

Rabin

14 hours ago, Bean said:

August did get at head flow tested YEARS ago and they were very good, but I can't recall specifics.  I tried searching the forum, but it might have been on the old Peugeot-L yahoo group.  I'll e-mail him and see if he remembers!

Cam specs should be on the forum if you search, pretty sure Danielson cam specs were posted, but the stock cam specs may not have been.

Big difference between the 150 and 180HP engines was turbo and turbo boost levels.  180HP cars had electronic boost management with an overboost feature if conditions were met.  The other difference was 7:1 compression on the older non intercooled cars, and 7.5:1 for intercooled cars here in North America - Guessing that wasn't the same compression used in Europe however.

Rabin

Thanks. 

Lets hope August still has the information. 

Stuff like that is a "must know" if one wants to properly match turbo and injectors etc. 

Btw I know about the mentioned differences between the 150-180bhp cars. But I wondered specifically if the head was different in some way? Flow, cams, valve size, valve material etc. All possible to know. ?

Excellent - Glad you found it!  

Heads are the same in all years, except the early 85 turbos with no intercooler had sodium filled exhaust valves.  Turbo's also had a .48A/R exhaust housing with ford 5 blot flange, with the 86-88 cars using a .36A/R Cosworth style exhaust housing.  In the last 89' (180HP) cars they got a .48 A/R Cosworth style exhaust housing.

So no head differences that would affect head flow, or different stock cam specs (that I know of) on the cars we got in North America. Euro cars typically got higher compression and better cams, but I've got no idea if that's the case with the N9TE.

When August had the head tested and the work done I remember him relaying that the guy that flowed the head was really impressed with the numbers.  Head flowed really well stock.  I've looked extensively at my head and there are some easy port mods that will make for better flow, as well as blending the valve seats into the combustion bowls better, but they are really quite good.  The intake manifold however needs a fair bit of work just in port matching to the head, and I'm not a fan the intake inlet design.

Stock exhaust manifold is also quite restrictive, but I think with some work will flow quite decently for 300HP.  Peugeot also used a proprietary turbo exhaust flange, so the stock manifold will need to be modified to use a common flange (T25, T3, V-Band) in order to run a newer turbo.

Rabin

• 2 months later...

Cool - Now I know what the 176* tag means on the side of the motor, but I think the 86+ cars here were all X - 7.5:1 

Question for you VM - Have you ever seen a way to associated the engine to the VIN?   Many other cars will state “numbers matching” - but I don’t think Peugeot had anyway to verify an engine belonged to a VIN.

Rabin

I dont remember seen any document binding engine block number and car, could be on importers database and factory but not seen in anywhere else. Only engine type. Not even that table info seen. Exact type only on that cylinder block tag depending where car was originally imported.