Should I restore this 1989 Pegeuot 405 DL?

Evan

I'm new to this forum, but I want to know some opinions. So my grandparents have an old 1989 Peugeuot 405 DL sedan sitting in their backyard. I think it's been sitting for about 15 years. The battery was taken out. So at least there isn't a corroded battery. But weather took its toll and the rear windshield is busted, so the seats in the back are kind of moldy. Speakers are for sure shot in the back. The paint is faded alot. The engine is fairly clean, not sure if anything is living in it besides a snake. Yeah that snake gave me a scare one time. But I haven't seen it in a while just its shredded skin. It's got coolant in it, oil surprisingly looks ok, needs changing for sure but I dont know. I might post pictures of it tomorrow. But I think it's a really unique car and my grandma is looking to get rid of it, which I'm thinking is going to be straight to a junk yard. So I was thinking if it worth it to save it. Maybe use it as a daily driver. I found this forum so I thought if someone might know it'll be here. So let me know your thoughts and ideas. If you need more information I can provide it. Thanks!

20191020_092934.jpg

20191020_092912.jpg

20191020_093011.jpg

20191020_093305.jpg

20191020_093600.jpg

20191020_093326.jpg

Edited by Evan
Wanted to add images

Hi Evan,

I think the big thing that will make it viable is where you are located, and what you budget would be.  Getting glass shipped is tough and expensive especially with either front or back due to size.  If you're in Cali and close to someone like Savo (my3AWDgst) then he might be able to assist with parts needed to get it usable.

The DL is really just a basic commuter car, and the 8V engine was known for valve guide issues which may or may not have been taken care of under warranty.

Without pictures it's hard to comment, but I'd likely recommend using it as a parts car.  If it's a 5sp, low miles, and the engine turns over then it wouldn't take much effort to go a little further to see if you can get it running before you decide.

Rabin

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the quite late response. I forgot I had posted on here, I just added some pictures the other day. I am not near Cali at all, my grandparents house (where the car is at) is in northern minnesota.