'86 turbo gas N9TE 505 alternator connector

germsteel

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3194-505t-wagon-alternator-trouble/

I need this same info. 

'86 turbo gas N9TE 505 alternator

I changed my oil filter and then found there was a thin brown wire dangling down.  Car starts fine but the battery charge light stays on.  Voltmeter at battery shows no charging from alternator.

On the back of the alternator there is a thick brown wire with a lug that's secured to the top post with a nut; there is a black plastic plug in the middle with a black wire that connects to a RF filter? which goes to the post at the bottom (or opposite the post where the thick brown wire goes in). 

So I attached the small brown wire to the same bottom post that the RF filter bracket is attached to but the battery charge light in the dash still says on and no juice going to the battery.

Some clues would be appreciated. (I know this is a 4 yr. old thread)

Thanks guys!

Brown wires are usually power wires, so there should be a spade connector on the back of the alternator that it connects to the alternator that provides the signal voltage.  

Posting pictures is always best - I can post pics of the back of a turbo alternator as well as possibly the connection side of one installed tomorrow.

Rabin

Little concerned by:  

So I attached the small brown wire to the same bottom post that the RF filter bracket is attached to but the battery charge light in the dash still says on...

I just hope the RF filter bracket you mentioned isn’t ground?

Connector for the signal wire should be a female flat blade connector, and the alternator should be a male flat blade connector.

Rabin

My charge light always stays on.  So I think I have attached wire 7A (thin brown wire) to the earth nut on the body of the alternator.  There's a single wire (RF filter) going into the plug for the battery light EXC I'll look again to see if I can find the + on the regulator.  Does that sound right?

A photo would be great!

Thanks much,

Charging (N9TE and XN6 XD3T ZDJL ZN3J) pg. C2.712

Power wires are usually brown, the green and yellow wires are usually ground wires..

The signal wire is +12V so putting it to ground isn’t likely a good thing - but I’ll confirm in the morning!

Rabin

Does your RF filter have two leads?  Mine has two leads and appears to be in-line with the signal wire.  If not the female spade on the wire can go directly to the spade connector on the alternator like the one lead shown.

Let me know if that works.

Rabin

CC054B19-B106-42F8-8172-B761DBD5A755.jpeg

1B0960AF-4EAA-433C-9EF7-9C3F17D4BAFB.jpeg

Thanks!  All fixed, wire 7 does go to the middle spade terminal (like in your photo, nice); I found out I have a Remy 13059 which is now manufactured by:

Found this really nice explanation page:

The original alternator was 570566 Paris-Rhone.  My RF filter has one female lead and it says FACON Made in France on it.  Topped up coolant and took the old gal for a brisk spin.

Cheers