81 505 turbo diesel compression

Arty Berkhoff

It needs to be over 300psi to be healthy, but it should still start if lower - it’ll just smoke.

I’d suspect fueling before compression.  Have you primed the fuel system and made sure all the glow plugs work?

Have you tried a little ether?

Rabin

I suspect the fuel cutoff solenoid may be bad. The glow plugs are good as a matter of fact they where replaced and the old ones where in the glove box and where good. I cleaned the injectors and they pop tested fine with a nice spray, the compression was close to 400 in each cyl but when cranking a bunch of fuel blew out so I thought for sure it was flooded bur when I bled the injectors barely any fluid squirted out. I looked at the lines and saw no evidence of leakage but I never listened to hear if the solenoid was clicking. When I thought of it last night the battery was dead as I left it in the on position . I need a new cyl lock as a key is broke off in it. In hoping it is that simple. 

Agree it has to be something like fuel cut off - 400psi is very healthy, so it should fire.  What pressure did the injectors open?

Puff of ether to confirm will tell you quickly if it’ll run once fuel is sorted.

Rabin

So the solenoid clicks but having eliminated all fuel lines using a bottle filled with diesel right to the pump and cranking it and cracking the lines the squirt seems to be very weak and no start. I did see the level go down a bit so the pump did pick up oil. is there anything i am missing other than the pump not working?