91 Mi16 back home

kerrigd

I originally purchased new a 91 Mi16. In '99 my brother took ownership as I bought a new car and he needed a car. For numerous reasons the car sat idle in his garage for the last 15 years. I always liked the car and it was sad seeing the car sit there so I decided to bring it back home and try to get it road worthy again. The current plan is to tow the car to a mechanic who used to work on Peugeots so he can itemize what needs to be done. My experience maintaining cars myself is limited but willing to try with the help of this great forum. Lots of very pertinent information here. Once I have the list I can decide what I can do myself (with others) and what I need the mechanic for.

Open to any suggestions as to a starting point, recommended tools and a source for parts / manuals.

Thanks to Bean for his help in getting me started here. I understand there may be a couple of neighbours (relatively speaking). I am about an hour+ north west of Toronto

Welcome to the forum, bringing back cars that have been sitting for years is not hard but it takes few headaches. The x05 series of Peugeot are good candidate for this because, Peugeot used good quality materials making them. The design of the Mi16 makes it little harder to work or understand it then you everyday Honda or VW and once up and running they are very reliable and don't have the stupid little problems. If you are taking it to a mechanic start with getting it started and then changed the timing belt and do a fluid change if the car been in good running shape when parked that will be all it needs and then drive it and enjoy it.P.S post some pictures Mi16 in black are rare my mi16x4 started life black.

It is obvious it's been sitting around from all the scraps from stuff being drag around it but looks to be solid, interior will clean up nicely. First thing i'll do is to remove that resistor box from the MAF the (plug extension) those always cause trouble, then install a battery in it and try starting it. From the look it still has the factory spark plug wires so it can't have too much mileage on it. The surface rust on all the brackets is not too scary try getting it running to see if is healthy and from the cleaning and maintenance.

Hmm yeah.  Not worth trying to save I think - they're not worth anything and the cost of rust repair alone would be immense.  Plus the rear beam is probably shot, so it's a job for Sisyphus.  Curious though, what's the VIN?

I feel it’s somewhat special.  Black is black, and so is rust reformer.

Shame it’s not in the US.  I’d be interested, however wouldn’t expect any return on investment.

something like this could possibly go for a while, and is entirely up to your interest and how much you value it.  

Love the interior and manual shift.  

16 hours ago, NinaYo401 said:

I feel it’s somewhat special.  Black is black, and so is rust reformer.

Shame it’s not in the US.  I’d be interested, however wouldn’t expect any return on investment.

something like this could possibly go for a while, and is entirely up to your interest and how much you value it.  

Love the interior and manual shift.  

I bought the car new back in '91. I liked its performance and the fact that it was not a car you would see very often. I lived in New Zealand in the late 2000s early 2010s for 5 years and came very close to buying an Mi16 there. I was prepared to put some $$$s into it to bring it back to its useful glory knowing that it would not be an investment. Although I was hoping the frame would be in relatively good shape since it was under cover all those years. I guess the humidity and fluctuating temperatures would not be deterred by cover. I am thinking of taking it to a body shop for an estimate and decide from there.

ok, a brick doesn't have to hit me in the head. Been to 5 locations to see if they could restore the frame. 3 said no and 2 said, how much do you love the car. It is less about what you can see and more about what you can't see. Hugh risk that once you start chipping away at the frame it may just keep going and the dollars keep piling up. 

So as much as it pains me to do this, I am calling a halt to attempts to restore the car. It needs someone able to do the work on their own (or spare cash lying around to pay someone $80/hr) . I don't have the tools, facility or experience to tackle this kind of job (and no spare cash lying around).

So if anyone wants it to refurbish or to strip for parts, letting it go for best offer. 

I guess I'll have to wait for Peugeot to re-enter the North American market to get back into Peugeots (or move back to New Zealand).

Cheers

I'm sad to see this, but your car's soft parts, interior, rubber and plastic parts are in very good condition. Have you looked in buying a 405 from a dry place, like nevada or california, they have no rust but all the soft parts are destroyed by the sun, between yours and a clean shell you'll have a very good car, and spare parts. If you've lived in New Zealand you surely can do DIY mechanics.

I have not thought of that and is a good suggestion. I think it would be wise for me to go the other way though. If anyone in Arizona Nevada, California etc wants it, let me know. Not sure what the border restrictions would be.

Kiwis are certainly a nation of DIYers but I was a transplant for 5 years. I wasn't fully assimilated into DIY especially mechanically :). Willing to try but should probably start with something less challenging.  

• 2 weeks later...