HOLY GRAIL OF WAGONS 90 SW8 TURBO!!!!

89peugeotV6

Just got the wagon I was after.  got it at auction turbo automatic 155k on it. Looks to be enthusiast owned very clean Texas and California car I think not running right now bad gas and might need a master cylinder brakes go to the floor somebody put rear heat in it at one point 

20190616_153854.jpg

20190616_153602.jpg

20190615_221148.jpg

20190615_161206.jpg

20190615_104717.jpg

20190615_104656.jpg

20190615_104651.jpg

20190615_090437.jpg

Holy moly - That collection rivals Jim Schicks'!

VERY envious of the 504 Coupè and Cabriolet. 

The red wagon looks familiar - if it's the one I'm thinking of it had a built N9TE in it.

Rabin

I thought I've seen this wagon before! I'll post more pics of the engine and interior.  The engine looks very clean it has the factory air box with a new filter. It has a dial in the center of the dash for possible boost control not sure yet engine bay looks clean and stock. It looks like there was light front end damage at one point and it was repaired well and it was repainted at one point. I'll try to get more pictures tonight I keep saying to myself I've seen this one before...

Haha and I thought I had projects! 

83 Mercedes g wagon 

86 chevy truck 

08 V10 touareg motor needs to come out remove emissions junk fix oil leak

89 V6 Peugeot 

4x4 conversion on the work van

And I want to build a ramp van! a 5 passenger van front end with body cut in half with a roll back back

What are you working on

That sadly isn't my garage - that's my buddy Mike who's kindly hosting two of my 505 wagons (silver Turbo SW8 shown, and the 86 505 TD wagon build project I started so many years ago...)

Projects:

1. V8 Locost build - 302 5sp super 7
  2. '89 505 Turbo 5sp sedan - my halo car that will get: 5x120 hubs and BMW based big brake set up, Dani head, and upgraded turbo.  Had VEMS but need to get it back from Nick Cota for engine management.
  3. 505 TD 4sp auto wagon - 2WD Dangel clone build.  Basically want to lift the wagon and fit some 225/75-15 tires on it and do some overlanding.
  4. 505 SW8 Turbo wagon (shown) - Will get: SDS efi standalone w/ AEM Tru Boost and AEM WB02 controllers, 465cc Bosch green giant injectors, T3/T4 hybrid turbo.  
  5. '86 505 TD 5sp sedan - parts car at this point - Possibly for an 89 505 Turbo wagon that Hugh has that has a bad motor.  (Diesel 5sp wagon would be cool too)

Mostly need a reality check, but I can't give any up for the time being, but the locost went to the top of the list as I've wanted one for years and couldn't turn it down.

Rabin

OK now this makes sense!  I just needed to take a little trip down memory lane (past posts) and all was revealed!  It's been a while and I'd honestly hadn't associated the username with that build from 2011/12!   3 kids now too - I've got 2 girls myself, and they both LOVE camping which is the big driver to get the wagons sorted.  Dangel for overlanding, the SW8 for trips to the lake and such over summer.  

Man you've dived in deep with the Peugeot's, and I love the current collection!  Even the V10 Toureg is cool...  :)  My wife's daily is a 2008 535xi Touring M-Sport, and I'm driving a 2006 Volvo V70R GT.  Lovely cars, but my heart is still Peugeot!

I keep toying with the idea of engine swapping my 89' 505 Turbo sedan, but I'm hell bent on just getting a mildly modded N9TE together with modern turbo and electronics to see what it can do.  ~300HP will be plenty, and the locost can be my all out track weapon.  

As for your 505 wagon:  Chris Con....something...  That rear heater/AC set up looks so familiar as well...  Brian Holm might be able to confirm.

Rabin.

That rear heat / ac sounded like a good idea so I googled some van solutions...  Really compact units that are only 6" wide, 13" tall, and about as long...

We don't get too much of the extreme temps in summer, so will have to see how the stock AC system handles heat after it's redone.  It's rare when it goes over 30C here.

Rabin

You got 2 very nice daily's I love the v70Rs I almost got rid of all my peugeots about 10 years ago to get a v70r but I just didn't like the clutch feel and the feel for the road. A dangle would be great to have and fairly easy to make some jeeps used peugeot transmissions and I'd just put a straight axle on the front and put the same axle on the rear so you'll have like ratios and bolt patterns should easily fit 235 75 15s maybe even 31s and that will take you a lot of places over landing I did a fair share of it in Colorado and Utah there's usually always a way around the real technical stuff. I want to get the g wagon done for the same purpose. I think this is something like my 8th peugeot but I only have the 2 now they're getting very hard to find I might try to have both of them running for the Carlisle import kit car nationals in may of next year but the sw8 I hope to have going this weekend the Carlisle show is very good mostly European certainly not the fast and furious crowd it's a very nice show

Haha - The reverse sequence of the pictures screwed me up!  At first glance I thought the final destination was the last few pics and the collection was yours!  lol

Totally forgot about the auction that had the same cars...  Any idea what the 504 Coupe and Cab went for?

Dangel clone I'm building is just going to be 2wd with LSD diff.  I'm doing a 3-4" lift for the tires to fit, so it'll just have clearance and good tires.  Will do a sheet metal bumper w/winch just in case I go somewhere I shouldn't have!  In my youth I was a bush mechanic and saw how capable a 2wd truck with clearance was.  I won't rock crawl - but trails can pretty narly and it should be fine.

V70R with the 6sp auto and the Haldex 3 is a joy.  Moving the suspension accelerometers from the strut to the body helped immensely!  Took 90% of the ride harshness away, and going to a less aggressive DWS06 245/45-17 all but eliminated the rear side-hop issue over sharp bumps.  Love the car - but I'm hoping to daily Peugeots again, so I'll be putting mine up for sale soon once it's fully sorted.

Rabin

Haha I wish they were all mine the convertible went for around 7k the coupe around 5 the stuff went cheap some for 200 bucks silver wagon was 2k it had 80k on it non turbo I picked mine up for 1500 green 504 went for 4 and 504 wagon 1500

I had a locker in my van and it went very good you'll need a land anchor if you plan to go to the desert in case you need to winch your self out of anything. I had to drive my 505 sti diesel on some pretty rough trails to rescue a broken down jeep

I miss daily driving a peugeot I'm looking at taking this on the family trips instead of the suburban 

Oh man - That just makes me sick that I missed that 504 Coupe for $5K!  Ah well - wasn't the right time, and not a car you want to buy sight unseen.  Well done on your car for $1500!  Looks in fantastic shape with decent maintenance from the pics.  Definitely had some care and attention.

Nice thing about the 505 wagon rig is it's still quite light, and with 225 tires it should fairly light contact patch so I'm hoping it will be decent in the sand.  Would LOVE to do a Baja California trip at some point, and if I had to do my own land anchor I'd carry a shovel and use the spare sideways dug into a hole - supposed to work decent for extractions.  Most of the overlanding I want to do will be mountain trails and such.  Don't really have any interest it getting really far off the beaten path, so will still to known trail runs where having clearance is the big advantage.

In high school we used to do bush parties (Northern Saskatchewan), and it'd be funny to see all these trucks at the site and them my 504 beside them.  Most people walked in, but I always drove right with the trucks with no issues.  Car had great clearance, and it was light so it never dug in anywhere.

Rabin

I should add that the locost likely won't be a car I can license (at first anyway), so the 505 wagon will also serve as the hauler.  Will mostly focus on local autocross, but there will be tracks I want to travel too for sure.

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

Hey been a while trying to get the car running I lost spark now!?!? I'm not getting spark reference at the coil I replaced ignition module but still nothing I suspect the hall sensor in the distributor but not sure and I can't get the distributor apart which wire coming out of the distributor is the reference? I need to get this thing going got family trips planned. I replaced the fuel pump with one pump in the tank doing away with the 2 pump set up all I've been able to do is get the car to sputter a couple of times when first trying it then nothing after the first couple of sputters unless it sits for 10 minutes then it'll sputter again I need to check fuel pressure. But I was thinking the weights in the distributor were sticking so I sprayed the inside of the distributor with wd40 so I might have screwed it up 

The distributor shares a lot with 80’s VW - same cap, and module I’m quite sure as I used the guts of one to change it to a single window set up to replicate a cam sensor for VEMS using VW distributor parts.

They come apart pretty easy, and parts for them should be easy to get since they’re essentially the same as VW.

Will see if I can get some pics of ignition trouble shooting this weekend.

Rabin 

I had that problem, after I played with the pickup thing from the distributor.

However, at the same time I cleaned the connection from the pickup at the coil, I also replaced my super loud old fuel pumps and it started up.  Actually it started after cleaning the pickup, which facilitated moving it into the shop for the new pumps.

Sounds like I'm on the right track at least. That makes sense now that it shares a lot from 80s vw my snap on rep was saying that the computer didn't have Peugeot in it but it kept putting over to vw for ignition system 

Sputters have usually been fuel related, and when it’s ignition it’s usually not even a hint of firing.

My go to is to use ether to see if it’s going to fire.  If it fires on ether I know it’s fuel.  I also use an inductive timing light to check for spark and to verify ignition is working properly.

Would also recommend making sure the  tachymetric relay is working properly as it can cause issues with starting as well.  Maybe since you replaced the main pump the tachymetric relay isn’t powering it properly?

Rabin

I checked power at the fuel pump and it's getting power and it's also pumping I pumped out the tank with it I need to see if I am getting fuel pressure though. Since its only sputtering after it sits for awhile it could be fuel pressure issue I've seen that before. 

I've Also seen the weights stick in a distributor when it starts it advances the timing. The weights swing out but don't swing back causing it to shut off

I don't think there's anything wrong with the car like part failure I think it's cause it sat for about 10 years and some mice got to some of the wires I repaired everything I seen damaged I believe it's down to the distributor and fuel pressure regulator 

Thought turbos have three pumps.

I had a sputtering issue after playing with the ignition pickup’s connection to the coil unit.  Maybe that’s the ignition module?  Anyway I played with it some more.  It sat for a couple months, then started again, and I replaced the fuel pumps that day.  Mine isn’t turbo however.