Results of N9T cylinder head work

august

I've always been curious about the flow of the N9Txx cylinder head, so i decided to take a head to a local performance shop, to have them do the whole thing:

- weld crack

- complete valve job

- surface

- porting

- flow bench before and after

the whole process took much longer then expected, and the direction following wasn't really tip top, but they were willing to work with a head they'd never seen before, and it is a reputable place, so i'm cool with it (as long as it works well :( ha ha).

Intake (CFM):

• lift - before - after
  • 0.100 66.2 72.1
  • 0.500 178.2 218.2

Exhaust (CFM):

• lift - before - after
  • 0.100 49.3 63.7
  • 0.500 133.0 172.9

The main guy I was working with said the increase was really good, and that it should make for some great power increase. I'll post the full chart as well as some picures in the future. On another note, does anyone know what some other 2(ish) litre heads are flowing? I'm curious how this compares to some other turbocharged 4 cylinder cars.

Hey August,

Those are some decent increases for sure! Do you know if they measure air velocity as well as flow in the charts? (or list the pressures that were used to reach that flow?)

Have the ports just been cleaned up, or are they re-contoured? I've done a lot of research on proper technique as I plan to do my own myself and there are definitely some areas I've seen that will really increase velocity and flow - from the reading I've done it seems like velocity is key to power and response so I'm curious how they did it. Ideally you're creating a nozzle in the intake to increase velocity and flow - detailed pictures will be most appreciated!

BTW - are these measurements for the Dani cam - or the stock cam?

I'll try to get you some flow numbers from the Turbo Dodge guys - their SOHC heads are known nasty bottlenecks so my buddies are curious what my engine will do with the TD electronics, similar displacement, and a better head (hopefully!)

Rabin

Hey August,

Those are some decent increases for sure! Do you know if they measure air velocity as well as flow in the charts? (or list the pressures that were used to reach that flow?)

Have the ports just been cleaned up, or are they re-contoured? I've done a lot of research on proper technique as I plan to do my own myself and there are definitely some areas I've seen that will really increase velocity and flow - from the reading I've done it seems like velocity is key to power and response so I'm curious how they did it. Ideally you're creating a nozzle in the intake to increase velocity and flow - detailed pictures will be most appreciated!

BTW - are these measurements for the Dani cam - or the stock cam?

I'll try to get you some flow numbers from the Turbo Dodge guys - their SOHC heads are known nasty bottlenecks so my buddies are curious what my engine will do with the TD electronics, similar displacement, and a better head (hopefully!)

Rabin

Yeah, they did give me the veloscity, which i have written down at home (i'll try to post it later tonight).

the ports have been 'cleaned' i'd say. there really wasn't any work done to enlarge the whole port. both the opening of the intake and exhaust port are OEM size. the work looked like it was done by smoothing things out quite a bit. there are some good pictures comparing the stock port to the modified port which are pretty interesting.

as far as the pictures go, it'd be nice to take a valve out to get some real detail, but at this point, i'm only able to get in from the outside with a good light.

i gave them the dani cam specs, so that's what they had in mind when they were flowing it.

Hard to say - I was hoping for something more tangible - but it looks like I have some reading to do so that means something to me!

I've seen pressure measurements in inches of Mercury - so that might be a possibility as well.

Still trying to get some numbers on the TD head as a good friend had one done up here - but I have no idea at what measurements the flow was done at.

I'm guessing flow numbers will be much like dyno numbers - so it might be better to talk to the shop to see what other heads flow on their machine... Hopefully there are some turbo 4 numbers in there...

Rabin

Hey August...

Can you tell me if there were any flow rates given at incremements of lift - say at .2", .3, and .4" as well?

I found some flow numbers of the TD heads, but they are at .4 inches. I mentioned the 218 figure to my buddy and he was REALLY impressed - but was still couldn't find numbers at .5" to compare directly.

The numbers I did find were also at 28" H2O so they should be somewhat comparable I'd think.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey August,

That's some seriously cool work being done - that alloy rad is GORGEOUS! As a side not to your blog's - would it be possible for you to include pricing for the mods being done?

You might not want to share detailed info - but even ball park info so that those of us on a budget can save our pennies?

Can't wait to see what kind of numbers that car puts down!

Rabin

That looks really nice!

I hope I can get my head to look like that when I'm done with it, I'm doing some mild porting on a spare head right now.

Could you feel if the edges on the bottom of the intake-ports are still sharp or did they make the whole bottom smoothly radiused?

That looks really nice!

I hope I can get my head to look like that when I'm done with it, I'm doing some mild porting on a spare head right now.

Could you feel if the edges on the bottom of the intake-ports are still sharp or did they make the whole bottom smoothly radiused?

they are really smooth, and it seem like they took off a good amount of material.

not sure if you saw these, but here is the unmodified port from another stock head i have lying around:

http://www.505turbo.com/86505/ported_cylin...ake_port_08.jpg

...and here's the modified port:

http://www.505turbo.com/86505/ported_cylin...ake_port_15.jpg

I saw later that there was pictures that showed what I was asking about. well well...

Great that you've taken those pictures, it gives us DIY-freaks something to look at.

The little work I have done so far on my head actully don't look that far away from those pictures, of course the results won't be as good as on yours but hopefully it will be a little better then std.

I took a pictures of my head, but my camera suck. ;)

post-114-1168033886.jpg