Still learning my 505

83pgo

Ever since I’ve had this car, I’ve been trying to figure out what this item is that goes into my head. Does anyone know what this is? It looks like some sort of cable that goes out to nothing as it’s not connected. And what all components are needed for cruise control to work, I got everything still on the car but with the speedo not working maybe that’s why cruise doesn’t work as it should. 

C4A9BDEC-E5E8-4FB5-970F-A5F34EAA687C.jpeg

This looks like a thermostatic actuator, maybe for a diesel injection pump or maybe the engine fan.
The cruise control won't work without the speed signal, as the speedometer doesn't work either I think it's a mechanical problem with the speedo cable or the gears on the geabox.

Engine fan I got working once I fabricated an old alternator bracket don’t know if the increased amperage helped or cause I kept bumping the sensor while messing with the alternator. What would that actuate on the injection pump if that’s what it’s for and is something missing as the cable would be at an odd angle of it hooked up to the injection pump?

Would that assist with cold start to prevent holding the pedal down while turning it over? I work on military diesels but it’s a bit newer than mine and honestly is my first diesel POV. I understand most of the concepts but some of these on this car has thrown me a curve ball every now and then. 

• 3 months later...

I'll check on my 86 505 with XD3T, but pretty sure it doesn't have it.  I assume your motor is a XD2s?

As for your cruise:  The speedo cable is a two piece design with the join near the brake booster (LHD), and the joiner is the speed sensor for the cruise control.   Cables usually fail at the transmission however so if the cable is not turning it won't work.

Rabin