Vacuum/boost gauge question

83pgo

I got a vacuum/boost gauge last week and want to hook it up for both. Being diesel I’ll be running the vacuum portion off the vac pump system but for the boost I want to hook it up to the line that hooks up from the injection for the smoke adjustment setting I believe. If I ran that setup would the boost from the turbo blow the vacuum I have for the brakes since I can’t really put in a check valve to prevent this?

You'd need separate boost and a separate vacuum gauge - those combined units are for single connections in a gas engines.

If you connect both to the single gauge the boost will blow into the vacuum pump - assuming that's what you're talking about.

Rabin

Edit:  scratch this idea as one way valve to isolate vacuum and boost won't work.   One way valve will allow both vacuum and boost at the same time as it's the same direction in the signal line...

Rabin

Intake manifold ideally - this will give true manifold pressure.  

That boost signal line should have boost in it - if not I'd tap into the signal line to the wastegate to ensure the turbo is building boost.

Rabin

Look for an caped port on the intake manifold, i've run a vacuum/ boost gauge on a turbo diesel, i've found it helps to know when the air filter gets clogged, the gauge starts to show vacuum like on a gasoline car, also if you haven't bought a gauge yet, buy a 45 psi or higher because boost spike on mechanical turbo diesel happens often, and the gauge fails, don't use a pressure gauge, because at idle the needle bounces against the stop on the gauge and makes noise.