Fuel hard line leak. 505 STI

NinaYo401

That’s the first time you’ve mentioned return line - So no.  Pretty odd for a return line to leak unless the hose rotted.

Don’t use hydraulic hose for return as it’s not designed to work with hose clamps.  Any low pressure fuel or oil compatible hose will be fine with a single good clamp.

Rabin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rott, yes.  My 505 has rotten hard lines, or a leak from the rack where the hard line happens to intersect.

I’m willing to try replacing the entire length of low pressure return line with hose, in order to get my power steering steering back.  But I don’t want to stress the pump too much, so I’ve been hoping to reuse some old hardline.  And there isn’t a good place to fit a pipe cutter on the line, besides near the rack.

1/2” hose should fit over the cut and cleaned hard line, and a clamp or two should work.  

the stuff my local parts guy ordered in seems pretty heavy duty.  I think you’re right about clamps not being compatible.

I was looking at a hydraulic snowplow today, thinking its hose looked more fit for my needs 

i've had troubles once with pressure building in the return line, and found the cooler was clogged and line was kinked, then few weeks later i found that wire mesh filter in the power steering reservoir was also clogged, so check them.

Yeah - the return like has no pressure and is basically just the return line for the oil back to the reservoir.  If there is an issue with leaking there due to pressure building up then I'd suspect an issue like Goce mentioned above and the line is somehow blocked or restricted some how.

Rabin

I think I found my leak.  Although weepy, the return line doesn’t seem to be the culprit.  Rather, the lower of the two short loops on the rack appears to have a crack at it’s apex. 

the fittings seem to be m10, like the brake lines.  It’s a super tight squeeze to access, as it’s on the upper side of the rack.  I must’ve nicked it, cleaning along the cleaning along the cross-member at the frame rail.  

The passenger side 2 piece section of the steering boot.  How is it changed?  Well, the bellow part is torn, so that’s what I’m interested in changing.

it seems the rack needs to be unbolted to do so, which appeared to be one single large nut?

i wonder if this would allow me to access the leaking loop of hard line high on the driver side of the rack.  

Seems to be a rupture if a short line between the ram and rack pinion, on the top of the rack.  

the passenger side boot over the ram is badly torn.  I ordered one.  I’ll clean the ram with wd40.  But unbolting the ram near the inner tie rod is daunting.