Brake issue and vacuum pump question

83pgo

I apparently busted the prefilter vacuum reservoir that sits up top and looks like a hollowed out fuel filter and since then my braking has reduced. I tried just a metal fuel filter to kind of get the vacuum system closed. Any one know how to find a sub for it? Also who knows how to properly fill up the vacuum as the manual is k8nd of vague when it cones to lining up the pulley to pull the inspection cover off. 

First picture is the pre filter/vacuum canister that busted. Second is an overall view of what I have in place now. Third is where the lines are hooked up at on the injection pump and the fourth is the overall again. Fifth and six are the injection pump and overall view so I’m hoping I covered what’s needed to help y’all out a little. I got a steel fuel filter in its place since it was the same sizeish I put it in line and replaced the check valve since i could blow in both ways. I added a little oil to the vac pump since it was a tad low. I can’t see any other lines I missed or anything and my pedal is firm and will creep a hair with the brake all the way down. 

CD5FF14C-577A-4907-9C72-FFF8B159AFB4.jpeg

83A70834-38E7-4771-A2AE-4D4E0076277F.jpeg

559212A4-3F3E-441B-AE5E-55246A89C3FF.jpeg

A4BF78E2-B3B5-47C9-9CD3-D0D6F3AA942C.jpeg

2529F281-00AD-49BE-9BFE-D9583E22ECD1.jpeg

33FEA205-1979-4A3B-BB98-19BEFA6CA0DF.jpeg

Definitely sounds like it's not building vacuum.  I'd check for vacuum when running as the pump diaphragm could have torn.

If it is shot - Might want to consider an electric pump as a replacement as well - I picked up a Hella electric vacuum pump to see if I can replace the belt driven one as they're quite loud and a fair bit of noise to the engine clatter. 

Rabin

Well I got it figured out. The  2 lines that somehow got disconnected along with the busted canister went to the vacuum control,er on the pump. Disconnected those as it looks like they are for the egr system and apparently it stopped working so next is the breather deal in the valve cover so I can clean up the tangle of useless hoses. 

The mess of hoses is one of the things I wanted to clear up on my TD as well.  Coolant lines, vacuum lines - it's quite the rats nest that would be nice to clean up.  

One of the many reasons I thought an electric vacuum pump mounted under the battery tray would be an excellent way to sort the vacuum side out.

Rabin

It can be removed and replaced with a block off plate assuming that's ok whete you live.

I picked up a euro manifold that has no EGR at all - much cleaner indeed, but sadly finding and shipping the XD3TE intercooler set up proved to costly, so I'll do something custom instead.

Rabin

That sounds about right, shipping anything overseas is gonna cost a little.  I don’t have any emissions or safety inspections where I’m at and being military I’ll keep it registered here to avoid those issues anyways if I can. Did you just use a ss plate and cut to form with a gasket?

I'm just swapping mine to the non-EGR manifold,  but if I was going to use a block off plate I'd use stainless if possible, but any metal would likely be fine - just shoot it with BBQ paint and it should last fine.

Gasket:  high temp silicone should work fine - not sure a paper or cork gasket would survive though.

Rabin