505 12hr drive

NinaYo401

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mostly depends on current condition of the car.  Checking the car over prior to the trip is your best bet - if it checks out 95% of your breakdown risk is gone.

Highway miles are particularly easy on a car, so as long as it's been maintained well it should be fine.  (You should be able to remember things like last tune up, oil change etc.)  Good tires and at proper pressure also good.

Rabin

Long drives in old Peugeots is not a problem they are not italian, if you don't know the car some parts are good idea, i usually bring, spare fuel filter, fuel pump, points , coil, jumper pack and some oil, check the charging system before setting off and enjoy the drive.

If I’m going, it’s less than two weeks out, or too much snow risk.

Sti automatic 505 86, facelift year.

couldn’t find an ignition points cartridge, not considering a fuel pump, since I’m flying and driving back.  Distributor cap and rotor are eBay items.

I’ll look up the fuel filter in the service manual, but I’m assuming I could get a generic at any parts store?

considering buying a boost pack with 12volt lighter sockets, when I arrive.  Might buy a jug of water and some 10w40 for the trunk.  

Would want a jug of dex 3 atf?  

I don’t want to be stranded.  I’m going to pass on the car if it shifts weird.  

Not sure how to test the charging system.

It's electronic ignition so no points.

Is this a new purchase or do you know the car?  

Dextron 2 if you can find it is best, but you need to ensure all fluids are topped off at least.

If it's a new to you car you should really try to get someone close to look at it for you, or pay a shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

Getting AAA might also be good.

It's pretty easy to set up a 12V plug if needed, and it should be pretty easy to tap into something under the dash.  I travel with a battery pack when camping, but it charges off the car when driving so that it's able to works as a booster if needed as well.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

My mom is offering to buy my plane ticket from me, so I won’t go pick up the 505.

She told me some story of my dad’s peugeot breaking down in an intersection.  And ow much it cost to get back.  Of course no mechanical details, or model year.

My father has mentioned the heat shield falling off and starting the trunk and interior carpet on fire.

Any insider baseball or other wisdom I should get hip to before this trip?

im curious of the “unsealed” electrical system.  I guess you can swap relays.

its an 86.  Are there crank position sensors?  Something like that could leave me stranded.

My dad’s peugeot broke down on the dealership test drive.  Dealer blamed the computer.  My father still bought it, lol.  I’ve had no start condition in a electronic  ignition mgb, which was the ignition model.  

Spare tire looks ok.  Tires have tread, but are pretty dry, couple cracks.  Stay alive sub 55mph, hopefully.

Plane leaves in 12 days.  

Is this your parents 505 or someone else's? 

You haven't really provided any details to properly assess the car so it's difficult to advise or foresee issues.

If it's been sitting - fuel system would be my biggest concern.   If tank is rusty it can plug the fuel filter very quickly.   Only fix is to have the tank acid cleaned and new filter installed.

What's the history of the car?  How many miles on it?  What engine?  5sp or auto?  Is it a daily driver?  Has it been sitting and for how long?

If it was a daily driver or is in consistent use you shouldn't have any issues.

As for your father's story of the muffler starting the trunk carpet on fire:  Highly unlikely unless something else was wrong - just the heat shield missing wouldn't be enough.   (Muffler is the farthest point from engine and the exhaust has cooled a LOT my the time it gets to the muffler.  Still gets warm, but not hot enough to ignite carpet inside trunk.) 

Rabin

I've been haggling with the guy for over 6 months.  He's kind of a collector.

Automatic car, 2.0L.  It's a non-working odometer situation, approx 120k.

No real rust iussues.  Haven't heard it run.  A/C and Cooling fan work.  sunroof closed.  goes through all gears to 55mph in a straight line.  According to this long distrance seller whom I've tormented and lowballed for months.

Previous potential buyer didn't pull the trigger, so here I am.  Missed out on pre-thanksgiving ticket prices, so now I'm afraid of breaking down in the snow.  With some kind of potential unforseen or blissfully overlooked electrical issue.

Are the gas tanks particularly rust prone?  is there a tank filter?  is the inline filter difficult to change?  Could I get away with just keeping full tank of regular, keeping it above 1/3rd empty.   

I plan to do my own work, so I'd just like to slowly drive home as is if possible and assess from there.   

I have AAA, but this is basically a midwest to eastcoast long distance with an old car scenario.  I do have the repair manual, but no spare parts.  I'm flying there.

So this will be the xn6 with the 4sp auto (4hp22) then.  Engines are quite bullet proof.  No crank sensors or anything like that, but it does have an ignition ecu as well as an ignition module in the distributor - both are very reliable though.

If the car has sat without a full tank then the tank could be rusty.  Changing filters isn't viable - I've tried it!  Fuel level doesn't matter.  Only option is to have the tank cleaned.   They won't line tanks with baffles so the metal still has to be good.

I'd also recommend that the car should have fresh/newer oil change, fluids checked and topped up (auto and diff) and the center suppprt bearing greased.

Rabin

I personally prefer driving my own cars that i know but i've driven cars straight out of a junkyard across europe with only back pack, i've had good trips in cars that rod knock and are falling apart, also had many broken down in those instances google is your friend, i always have a multimeter to troubleshoot electrical issues, and depending of the car age scan tool or a hummer, don't overthink the journey, it will come and pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the day.  700 miles from Ohio to Rhode Island.  

Im beginning to suspect tire dry rot, plenty of tread, but some cracking in the treads.  Guess I’ll be driving 55mph.

I’m conscious of potentially fuel tank rust or ignition system part failures, but hopefully peugeot selected robust components for this 1986 model year  

Depending on how bad the tires are, I'd recommend checking the air pressure every now and then. One of my old dry-rotted ones would lose 10 psi every 3 days or so. But, as long as rubber isn't already coming off in chunks, they should be OK to drive on. Good luck on the trip!

I friend of mine has a good way of breaking in used vehicles, after he makes a deal he asks the previous owner to drive to the DMV to transfer the title, and he see what is his driving style, and he drives the car that way for the next couple of weeks and gradually changes to his style of driving. The thought behind this is cars like gradual changes and this helps prevent new leaks from starting.

Lady next to me on the plane had a problem free peugeot, until her son flipped it.

Half way to the car, layover in Baltimore.

Owber is picking me up in it from the airport, we’re going to the DMV/BMV to do the deal.

I’ll probably have him drive.  Good tip on emulating owners driving 

Its probably been a while since the oil has been changed.  Would anyone dare get a quick lube oil change?  I’ll judge need based on condition of the oil.

ill probably but a jug of 10w40, and maybe a gallon of water for the trunk.

It'll be either the female 8mm square hole plug, or it might be 12mm female allen for the oil pan - either way it'd be best to ask otherwise they'll use visegrips or some other silliness. 

On the plus side the oil filter crosses over to a common GM filter (3583?) so the filter shouldn't be an issue - just get a good one like Wix, Napa Gold or whatever higher line they sell.

Another tip is to make sure the pcv screens in the pcv canister (beside starter on driver side of the motor) are in good shape.

Rabin

Made it home in one piece.  Spent some time on the highway at 3.5krpm before realizing I wasn’t in 4.  Lost some tire air brag home, or rather noticed the difference in alignment, added some free air, which I need to check with gauge.

saw whisp of smoke from the oil dipstick after parking and checking oil, so I’ll need to look into the pcv.

Had no heat until I hit the West Virginia mountains.  We filled the expansion talk to the half mark.  It was near empty.  Hills must have burped the air, or jostled sentiment loose from heater core.

No radio or cigarette 12v lighters.  Need to find the fuses.  Slow wiper arms.

No speedometer.  And it wouldn’t downshift without taking your foot of the gas first 

excellent ride, especially once the heat was going.  tracked straight at highway speeds.