Canadian-built Peugeots

Mike T

Hi all, I just got very accurate estimates of the total number of Peugeots produced at the SoMA (Société de Montage Automobile) factory shared with Renault in St-Bruno-de-Montarville, Quebec, Canada.  Sue Fader, an archivist at the University of Windsor Ontario, and James Mays, a Canadian automotive writer, have been very helpful. All Peugeots built there were 404s and I believe that they were all sedans too.  Injection and carbureted only.

The 404 production data is as follows, and - I believe - the station wagon and for sure the Coupé and Cabriolet models were all imported fully assembled:

1966: 919 cars (one of which was my Dad's brown metallic KF2 Injection sedan)
1967: 1541 cars
1968: 1499 cars
1969: 1891 cars
1970: 1428 cars (this was the last year).

7278 total.  Not many, but around 12,000 404s were sold in Canada.

The non-Injection sedans from 1967 onward had "Alouette" badges affixed to the rear panel ("skylark" in French - take THAT, Buick!)

19574074978_cba1c214ff_b.jpg

Peugeot decided not to assemble the 504 in Canada and so as the 404 was phased out in the 1970 model year, so that was it for Canarian Peugeot assembly (unless you count bicycles :D).

Renaults were built at SoMA through 1973, but terrible sales in the USA and labour strife ended SoMA in 1974 - the last Renault 16 rolled off the line in '73.  In total, 46,791 Renaults were built there (R-8, R-10, R-12 and R-16).