Speaker Replacement: ‘86 505

trymes

So, my fuel gauge wouldn’t go over 1/3 tank, so I pulled the sender (side note: I need a fuel gauge sender - do you have one?). To do this, I had to remove the rear seat, the CHMSL, and the rear speakers, along with the parcel shelf.

While I had the speakers out, I popped the covers off and noticed that they were in pretty rough shape. $37.00 and a little solder later, and I have two new speakers sounding pretty good.

This leaves me thinking I should inspect and likely replace the front speakers as well, but I can’t figure out how to get the kick panels off. Is there an easy way?

Tom

48F8C1E9-1C4C-4668-A38A-77AB2D5116CF.jpeg

9D6C1AD1-D3C8-4BA0-819F-67FCC9079410.jpeg

Kick panels are just held in with the door surround I believe - pretty sure there's either no fasters or just one...

Was the fuel sender rusted ?  Might be able to disassembe and clean it up unless it's rusted right out.

Rabin

Can you post a picture?  I can't remember seeing a PCB when I had mine apart, but I figured it had to be a simple printed circuit board if there was one in there - or does it have the rheosat on the PCB?  Did the rheostat come apart?  That's the coiled wire mess that varies the resistance with the location of the float.  I remember messing with the float rheostat to get it to read properly...

Rabin