US 86 505’s turbo & non-turbo Gas Auto

Looking at a New England 86 turbo.  Has two leaks.  A quarter pannel dent, two rust holes between the door and wheel arch.

leaks appear to be engine oil from the center front corner of the head,  possibly valve cover or timing cover?

where is the timing cover?

does 86 gas have a timing chain?  Are they 2.2l?  What’s the engine’s name?

i just ordered the Haynes manual.

I’d need at least one of those steel wheels for a matching set.

9DDBD14C-0B57-49FB-A967-11D7A9BAD44D.jpeg

BB6040F7-B019-4E51-B3DD-A62E52E13984.jpeg

1DFD53C8-13E3-409C-AF87-28D64881A9F5.jpeg

CBA2541D-4818-4716-B08C-F06B6EF069B6.jpeg

56143A1F-15EC-4B5F-BC85-CE3E1B73070E.jpeg

Hi Nina (?)

That car looks pretty rough - the dog leg rust is pretty bad, and there's rust coming through on the front chassis rails.  Car generally looks to be poorly taken care of.  Unless you have significant resources on hand ($$) and are exceptionally handy, this car wouldn't be for the faint of heart as it has some serious rust issues.

Brian Holm in VT is having to sell some cars so that might be a better option, or simply hold out for a better car.  If this car is really cheap - I'd consider getting it as a parts car only.

To answer your questions:

• leaks appear to be engine oil from the center front corner of the head,  possibly valve cover or timing cover? 

• I'd guess valve cover

• where is the timing cover?
    • Front of the motor - two piece cover that's split at the head/block line.
  • does 86 gas have a timing chain?  
    • Yes
  • Are they 2.2l?  
    • Yes - 2155cc to be exact.
  • What’s the engine’s name?
    • N9TE is the engine code.

Are you new to Peugeots?  Like any car they don't fair well under poor ownership, so this one is likely has a LOT of delayed/deferred maintenance and the work that was done was done poorly judging by the pictures alone.

Rabin

These have the ZF 4HP22 auto transmissions that you're not supposed to rev in park or neutral - likely has been fixed since it's been so long, but something to be aware of.  The check for a cracked head is that it pressurizes the cooling system when they crack, which usually means blown rad hoses or radiator end tanks - that's what usually causes a major overheat which takes out the head gasket.

Bubbles in the coolant bottle when the engine is running / revved is a sure sign it's cracked.  Or even if the bottle is filled to the top - coolant gets pushed into the tank with a cracked head as well, which runs the motor low.

There are MUCH nicer cars that come up and not for a lot of money so you're better off buying the best one you can afford.  If that's the best one you can afford then you shouldn't really be shopping Peugeots.  :)  

Rabin

This car seriously looks rough, i've taken up and restored some bad cars, but i'll pass on this one. With peugeots, mechanical is the last thing you need to worry about, all the mechanical on that car can be repair with few hundred in parts, the body an frame are what kills cars of this age, the taped sunroof will make me turn around right away, first thought mold, second rusted floor pans, and on top of all that you need to repair or replace the sunroof mechanism and being a 4 door makes it very difficult, you need to remove one of the front seats or front windscreen, plus few grand on paint, look around there are better cars to buy and enjoy.

38 minutes ago, Bean said:

That's a parts car at best.

Rabin

It looks like the driver wheel fell off while driving, but otherwise the body seems alright.  No sunroof.

appears to need windshield & door rubbers.  

All 4 tires are almost halfway sunk down, so suspension is in the dirt, as are the brake rotors.  Floor is likely completely rusted out.

405 wagon further back looks neat and doesn't look half swallowed by the earth.  :)

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

The blue car looks like a fright pig, and the white car at Brian's looks rough, too. Brian has a V6 manual transmission car that would be the one to go for if you buy one from him.

Are you looking for a fun car to drive in the summer and store in the winters, or a car that you can flog through the salt year-round? Also, what kind of budget are you working with?

Lastly, where are you located?

PS: Brian always says "The head is probably cracked, the pistons are probably shot" if you mention a gas-turbo to him.

Edited by trymes
Added postscript.