Cabin air filter

I'm doing a bit of long overdue cleaning around the windshield wiper fluid reservoir because the nozzles are either clogged or lines are broken. Taking out the reservoir means removing the plastic cover for the cabin air intake. Once removed all I could find is whatever was left of some foam gasket material, and nothing else.

After doing a bit of searching online, it seems the series 1 405 didn't have a cabin filter. Is there possibly a grill or some type of cover that covers the hole from large debris like leaves and insects? I could put a screen or something of course, but if there's an original part I'd prefer that.

IMG_20180429_172328396.jpg

Screenshot from service box- looks like there is only a gasket meant to seal the plastic cover to the opening. The plastic cover is referred to as a water deflector, and is shown as two pieces in the diagram, but is actually heat-staked together. Looks like a cleanup and some 1/2" foam strip from home depot will be all I need.

deflector.JPG

Thanks. On a related note, how should these two pieces be bonded? There looks to be glue/epoxy residue from either a previous fix or the factory. I'll give it a shot with plastic weld after I paint the grille this weekend.

IMG_20180510_195404407_LL.jpg

Back in the day at least in Finland there was cabin air filter available for ph1 405. Might be just local option from dealer or importer. I have such setup in my car. Too bad that the filters are not available anymore. Luckily Mazda 6 engine air filter fits quite well. ☺️ 

Parts are visible in this picture. The three black plastic pieces. One around filter, filter cover over wiper motor and drip tray loosely over the filter. Drip tray is meant to be under original scuttle panel mounted with its fixing screws.

Interesting. That looks different than a series 2 set-up. Thanks for posting the link, if I had more than just a few leaves making their way inside then I'd be more motivated to source the parts to have a factory filter in there.