85 XN6 Knocking / Oil Cap Falling Off

bill

I have an 85 XN6 that has been lifting the oil cap and now has been knocking bad.  It had been lifting the oil cap occasionally, and now the knocking which just started about a week ago persists past warm up.  I plan on diving into it now that the snow is gone with a tune up and such.  What else do I need to do?

Hi Bill,

Sounds like the PCV system is plugged - check the metal screen filter on side of the motor just infront of the starter.

When it gets plugged it'll also push oil past the oil sling seals on the front crank.

Rabin

I did that. Even to go as far as replacing it. I cleaned the old mesh which looked rusty, but didn't have any resistance when I blew through it.

I am hoping that a good tuneup will do the trick.

I'm kind  of embarrassed  after posting my concerns about  an engine knock.  For some reason, I had imagined the worst.  Lazy me (throw in cold weather) didn't check things out before posting.

I found three loose mounting bolts for the non-operative a/c compressor, where the compressor was touching the frame.

This changes everything.  I have my car back!

After owning peugeot's for all my adult life it's always the simplest stupid thing that is the problem with them, never something serious, i've had engine halfway fall down on me. Had the car serviced, new timing belt fitted and the mechanic forgot to tighten the bolts on the engine mount, in the process of falling, the mount ripped the rubber mount and the aluminium mount was gone when i open the hood to see why the belt was rubbing, and the entire engine is hanging about 30 centimeters lower and the alternator pulley is rubbing the frame, no tools and a good distance from home, i carried on, It got me home, those XU5C2 are real workhorses.