Saving another 405

my3AWDgst

Here we go again :-)

I found this MI16 on Copart and it was located in New Mexico Albuquerque,to be honest I only purchase it because prices was very low and if memory serves me correctly with auctions fees it was in low $400 range. To have it here in California that pleasure was only $600 and at the time my new place wasn’t available so i had it stored at my friends house. Once it got unloaded it was definitely in the same condition as it was on Coparts pictures. Right away I replaced battery and added fresh fuel and repaired rodent damage on engine harness but no life from the fuel pumps. Quick trip to parts store got me some fresh engine oil,fuel filter,MKII Golf intank fuel pump and main pump out of red parts car and she fired right up. This car had terrible exhaust leak but at the time I did not care about it as I knew she ran strong and I knew I would not have any time for it any time soon.

Edit:

I did found original owners address in the glove box and I did send them latter with my information and status of he’s old MI16. I end up receiving email with full history of this MI16 and they were wery happy that it did not end up at the crusher. As a matter of fact the deal with donation company was if this vehicle is donated owner must be promised tha it will not end up at the crusher.

0051A6FD-B907-4B26-B25B-55CE7A731650.jpeg

245A04B3-76BA-44C4-A8B6-60F55CC0855A.jpeg

EAA27905-F7A5-4BEA-92C8-CD997844E4AC.jpeg

E7E32488-96A3-4E7C-B6BC-4ED679015C60.jpeg

9340E86D-2E36-4C56-8E3D-AED41C122E3E.jpeg

8B87D5D7-886B-4A97-9DD4-2E42BDFFBFD7.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost one year later I decided to clean it up a little and replace that terrible muffler that was repaired by previous owner. I had great Magnaflow rear box out of red parts car that end up working great on this car with zero exhaust leaks. 

Next thing to replace or should I say remove was all wiring for god know what purpose they surved which after contacting original owner was for turning on and off A/C compressor,huh? A/C is functioning just fine on it’s on.

Few weeks ago when I was organizing my parts,garage and shed I stumbled across my first coiovers that I made and light bulb turned on above my head “deth to wheel gap” so naturally this last weekend I lowered the front :-)

At the same time I swapped original 14’s with 15’s out on my Sorento Green 91 MI16.

So what does the future hold for this MI16 you may ask? Well I definitely won’t spend the money at it as I did with my red one or my wagon but I’ll make it decent driver and keep it in life. Unfortunately this MI16 has some rust under neath that I don’t intend on repairing,we still have decided California non rust bodies so fixing rust would be a waste of time.

However I did order timing belt,water pump,belt,seals,gaskets,fluids,and hub centric wheel spacers as these factory wheels looked like they are sucked in.

561A619A-9782-42EF-85D2-C0092D767062.jpeg

8D2500A3-9D2F-4215-8BEC-EC0616070498.jpeg

8A394CBF-A8C3-485A-BCF9-4416A0F1D188.jpeg

64DEAADC-D827-48F6-A7DE-A97A8C74EE9D.jpeg

E47BFBEF-E6C4-4289-93E8-969FF0A241EA.jpeg

Don’t you fear MI16 SavoSpec is here to rescue you ;-)

What is next thing to do-repair?

First thing on the list is to remove interior and wash it so I don’t get syphilis,then repair sunroof and take head liner to upholstery shop.

Second thing on the list is to replace rear windshield and get speakers and radio.

Once this is done I’ll tackle engine,brakes and suspension.

Edit:

I should add that it does have hard cold start,high idle and engine cooling fans come on with full speed at random times. I’ll definitely attend to these items after interior repairs. Definitely not a priority at the moment.

Nice to see one more 405 saved and i like the color, engine cooling fans come on with full speed at random times is a common fault, is the bitron (brown or black in color) sensor, is located at the bottom of the thermostat housing, as for hard starting at cold try swapping the air flow meter for an known good one, it contains the air temp sensor which can cause hard starting when cold.

13 hours ago, Goce said:

It's surprising how much the factory wheels remind me on my car when i first bought it all the way down to the peeling paint, i'm glad you're working on it, will be done right.

I’ll get it decent enough,definitely not gonna get crazy like I did on my red one or my wagon.

Today I removed front bumper and found broken support which made this bumpre salvageable and I’ll definitely use it on something else in the future. While I was there I scrubbed and washed front radiator support and front of support behind front bumper. I did find small amount of mice damage which got addressed right away. Also I installed Euro had lamps and new side corner lamps with LED bulbs and while I was repairing mice damage I added additional connector for parking bulbs in Euro headlight,US cars never had these.

I haven’t mounted replacement front bumper yet but I did wash it and painted inner lower grill. I’m still waiting for headlight and fog lamp LED bulbs to come in.

72885CB3-144C-4143-8FB4-C392EA4BE632.jpeg

2191FE1A-B5C3-4008-AC0B-4A7E4E427CD9.jpeg

676CE63D-7760-431E-BD78-B57136388501.jpeg

EF64F379-8A2B-4FF9-91FB-09BDEE384A39.jpeg

B5FD8EC8-6BA1-4323-B5AD-4A1205B916D1.jpeg

2D26B3F6-CDF6-4C96-B3DF-69F7F287B3F4.jpeg

Yeah it's not worth investing lots of money in any car, i'm really surprised how different the front bumper mounts (absorbers) are, on the euro cars we got simple black plastic box on each corner and thin bumper support rail, it's almost like peugeot added an full bumper on top of the 405 bumper, and the mountains are like they used in a 605, the biggest dirt trap on a 405 is the plastic cover in the back next to the spare tire, which is often missing.

It's been some time ago since i've made them, it's only a couple hours job for all 16 pcs, i started with 1 meter long 30mm in diameter stainless rod, drill the center 13 or 14 mm then cut an chamfire of 60 degrees with the compound and simple parted it off at 4 mm length and chamfered the sharp edges, couple of minutes for one and repeated 15 more times, on my own mi16x4 i've had the wheels bolts holes chamfered at 60 degrees on a mill, a decade ago.

Sunroof fun yaaaaaay....

End up removing sunroof today and I was surprise that sunroof cables were not broken,however plastic guides and other parts were broken. On my spare sunroof assembly both cables were rusted and broken but tray it self with other parts I need were in good condition. After I dissembled both trays I cleaned and washed and dry all pieces and they are ready now for assembly. I end up taking good cables to work and I had them in hot water parts washer for three hours,then I blew water out of them with compressed air and soaked them for 5 hours in Prolog mixed with 10w30 motor oil. 

Unfortunately all 4 plastic guides are broken so I need to come up with good used set. I’ll take headliner to same shop that got my headliner done on Wagon and red MI16 on Friday.

15020AA2-7837-4CA2-BC23-5D6E49A0918B.jpeg

353BDF3D-E982-4C57-A77D-14DDB09FD1E4.jpeg

87356CF8-F04D-4428-A3CE-7FCA2AA832E6.jpeg

34BF9E25-3598-4D6C-BC99-C7C51694FF8C.jpeg

Savo, this is pretty typical of what i've found, age and the sun seams to do the most of the damage, only on garaged cars i've found good sunroof assembly, if you can't found plastic guides they are simple to machined out of aluminium, on a mill or a bridgeport, check and flush the drain lines.

• 2 weeks later...