Speedo cable replacement

I'm in the process of replacing my broken speedo cable, and after removing the speedometer drive/hsg, the cable remained stuck to the drive. The cable is broken upstream closer to the dash, so when I removed the drive, the cable pulled out of it's sheathing.

I tried pulling the cable out but it doesn't move. It does rotate (along with a metal sleeve) within the drive housing. I'm going to try soaking overnight in wd40 to see if that loosens it up enough to remove it. Is there anything I might be overlooking? I'm thinking the cable has seized to the metal sleeve within the drive housing, so hopefully  a little soaking will free it up.

I should have just ordered a new drive and gear when I ordered the cable, but it seemed to function as intended until I saw this. 

IMG_20180120_1919517.jpg

IMG_20180120_1921159.jpg

It should just pull out of there - should be a square drive shape, it just slides in.  Likely just sticking like you mentioned - but try moving it back forth / wiggling it to get it to break before trying to pull with force.

Rabin

Overnight soaking did the job! It still required a good amount of effort though.

Yes- the squared end is what was stuck within the sleeve. Probably a result of the cable binding and breaking upstream. I wasn't sure if the cable slides all the way through the entire housing, but now I can see the sleeve is basically a coupler that the cable drops into and couples it to the speedometer gear.