1984 505TD Sudden Stop

505 99105

Driving to work one day, there was a ton of racket coming from the engine.  I stopped it, and when I started it again, it ran for a while, then a sudden stop.  When I tried to start it again, the starter could not move the engine.  Cylinder 1 was flooded full of fuel.

I had all the injectors rebuilt, and cleared out the cylinders of all fuel by removing the glowplugs, they appeared clear and just a fine vapor was coming out, everything seemed great.  The car started just fine, no extra noise or anything, then suddenly quit after about 45 seconds.  The starter did the same thing again where it won't move the engine.  Pretty stumped.  I really just want to drive my car!

• 2 months later...

So, it was an engine failure, large amounts of fuel in the crankcase and the main bearing failure on #1.

It has an older but better 2.3 engine, took the shop a couple months to make it work, machined flywheel etc.  Supposed to pick it up this week.

Undercarriage got a complete overhaul as well, new bushings etc.  Last thing to do will be to replace the steering rack, as the boots are gone and it leaks, so perhaps in April I will get that done.

Came to $6100.00.  Still cheaper than the '15 BMW Diesel sedan I had my eye on.

• 2 months later...

Well, the engine lasted one week before the oil came out.  So I am giving this away for free.  It will go to the crusher in a couple of weeks as I don't want to haul it home.  Its too bad, its a low mile car, and basically new.  The 2.3 must not be a very good engine, this is my first time with that engine.  About 130,000 original miles.  Let me know if you want it.

• 7 months later...

So sorry I missed these posts!  

Curious if the motor made noise when the oil light came on?  

The 2.3 XD2S is a fantastic motor, so without knowing specifics the only assumption one can make was a poor repair.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...