Edit: Rebuilding the engine myself -86 505 Turbo 180bhp version (big restauration)

Alfanatiker

32 minutes ago, Bean said:

They’ve done a beautiful job!

And I see I totally forgot to respond to that flange measurement!  I can say with certainty that the Volvo flange and the T3 have the same stud pattern, but Peugeot stud pattern is smaller than T3 but larger than T25.

I can take pics and measurements today if you still need them.

Rabin

Thanks. I really appreciate it! ?

It hasn't been any rush anyway. And I didn't wanted to push you as you had some family related things to take care of. No worries ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some pictures of putting on some more pieces.

But.. with regards of the 3 last pictures.

What is that one wire sensor on the water pump?

And where are the other end of the plug for my injectors? I have been looking and looking, but can't seem to find it ? Does it exist som drawings that shows where it should be routed from?

IMG_20210325_185619.jpg

IMG_20210325_185750.jpg

IMG_20210325_212717.jpg

IMG_20210325_214521.jpg

IMG_20210325_221128.jpg

IMG_20210326_103130.jpg

IMG_20210326_103149.jpg

IMG_20210326_110208.jpg

IMG_20210326_215732.jpg

IMG_20210326_215743.jpg

received_1123840241464525.jpeg

The plug for injectors come from a connector you showed in the last picture, and run straight from it to the injectors. The wires for injectors should be packed in a bundle of lots of other wires, but it follows the fuel rail, and goes straight to that connector, should be able to just follow the plugs I see on the injectors and find where they go.

23 minutes ago, Jayden M said:

The plug for injectors come from a connector you showed in the last picture, and run straight from it to the injectors. The wires for injectors should be packed in a bundle of lots of other wires, but it follows the fuel rail, and goes straight to that connector, should be able to just follow the plugs I see on the injectors and find where they go.

I dont think you got my question. I know the plug runs to the injectors, but I cant find the other end that belongs to the car/ecu...

The wire on the water pump is for the carbon brush that should touch the brass ring/contact on the magnetic clutch for the fan.  The sensor on the passenger bottom of rad is what switches power on to energize the magnetic clutch.  

I’d also check behind that relay plate that has the pink/purple relay mounted to it - it might be tucked in behind it. Failing that check behind the motor around bell housing, and even down the other side of the motor as it would depend which way they secured the harness when the engine was out.

Rabin

35 minutes ago, Bean said:

Looks great!  What tire sizes are you testing with?

Wheel offsets look really good.  :)

Rabin

Thanks.

It is 225/50 -16 in the rear and 205/55 -16 in the front. Offset is supposed to be approx 7mm in the front and 10mm at the rear. Wheels measure about 8x16 front and 9x16 rear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Alfanatiker changed the title to Edit: Technical preparation. -86 505 Turbo 180bhp version (big restauration)
  • 4 weeks later...

I knew I took the picture, but I’ve misplaced the measurements:

Left to right it’s T25, stock 505 Turbo manifold, and then the gasket for the Volvo stock flange.  The Volvo bolt pattern is the same dimensions of a T3 flange. 
Let me know what you need for measurements, or if you want to see them one atop each other to see the difference more directly.

For my car I want to mill out the stock flange and then have the T25 flange welded into it, then port and polish it.  It’s a beautiful casting, but there’s one section that inside it that can be opened up.

Rabin

7EAD233B-2352-47B9-A86D-40095738799A.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bean said:

I knew I took the picture, but I’ve misplaced the measurements:

Left to right it’s T25, stock 505 Turbo manifold, and then the gasket for the Volvo stock flange.  The Volvo bolt pattern is the same dimensions of a T3 flange. 
Let me know what you need for measurements, or if you want to see them one atop each other to see the difference more directly.

For my car I want to mill out the stock flange and then have the T25 flange welded into it, then port and polish it.  It’s a beautiful casting, but there’s one section that inside it that can be opened up.

Rabin

7EAD233B-2352-47B9-A86D-40095738799A.jpeg

I wonder about the bolt pattern itself. The mm size of it so I can compare to T25 or K24/k26 if it might be similar.

If the pattern itself is the same. Then I could just buy a KKK or T25 housing for my gtx2860R turbo and grind the opening to match the 505 manifold, as long as the bolt pattern already are the same. ?

The T25 is smaller than the Peugeot flange, and the Peugeot flange is a fair bit smaller than the T3/Volvo pattern.

Only way I can see doing the T25 was as mentioned, machine out the flange and weld the T25 flange to the manifold.

I searched for a match for the Peugeot flange but never did find anything close, so figured it was proprietary.

Rabin

1 minute ago, Bean said:

The T25 is smaller than the Peugeot flange, and the Peugeot flange is a fair bit smaller than the T3/Volvo pattern.

Only way I can see doing the T25 was as mentioned, machine out the flange and weld the T25 flange to the manifold.

I searched for a match for the Peugeot flange but never did find anything close, so figured it was proprietary.

Rabin

But what size is it? Earlier it was mentioned that it could be the same as the old KKK/borg warner turboes K24 and K26 size.

http://www.eldiplo.org/extensionl/index.php?keyword=KKK-TDO4-K24-K26-Turbo-Inlet-Flange-Inlet-486257

3 minutes ago, Bean said:

Bolt spacing is 38mm across the short side, 77mm long side.  The opening is 48mm round.

9AF04FA8-02FC-4A5D-B2E6-273812C3F8B7.jpeg

Thanks! Then the bolts is actually exactly the same as the old Borg Warner/KKK. And that means a Borg Warner exhaust housing would bolt right on. Except from the opening itself since it is a bit bigger. But I would guess that should be possible to port out. ?

I think this is quite interesting information.

f2eeedbc-06b6-7e47-ed04-3f8dac73606a.jpg

I’d be curious if there are any modern turbos still using this flange?  Or if f they offer housings that work with modern turbos - Would be great to have a bolt on, and the added port size would really help the manifold flow a lot better.

I really wanted a modern small frame turbo, so the T25 was needed to run the Borg Warner EFR 6758.

Should spool faster than the stock turbo and pull till redline at the power levels I want.

Rabin

• Alfanatiker changed the title to Edit: Rebuilding the engine myself -86 505 Turbo 180bhp version (big restauration)