N9TE Custom Piston Group Buy?

yhzman

Hi All,

I am still looking in to rebuilding an engine out of an '87 505 Turbo parts car I have.  Seems I would need to get oversized pistons, so the machine shop is looking in to the pricing for .020 over pistons and a decent ring pack to go with.

Just thought I would throw this out there to see if there's any interest in a possible group buy...  I should have pricing and other details tomorrow, so I'll pass those along as I get them.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Diamond, Arias, JE, and I believe Wiseco have all been used on these motors, so all should have specs.

Common as well to bore to 92.5mm which allows more ring pack options.

I'm holding out for when I can do custom pistons, rods, and an offset ground crank shaft.  

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Apologies for not posting back to the thread, but FINALLY got word back from the machine shop.  They quoted $750 USD for the forged pistons, ring pack and pins (using JE).

Is this reasonable for this engine?  Was hoping for something in the $500 range since this is a 4 cylinder, not an 8!

$750 USD installed or is that just parts price?  $100/ custom piston is the usual quote, but add rings and pins and it could add up to $750.  If that price includes boring and installation then that's a great price.

If this was an engine with massive aftermarket support you would see lower prices and off the shelf availability, but even this price is remarkably cheap all things considered.

Rabin

Rings for OEM pistons are available from Deves, but any custom pistons should use common size rings based on bore only.

92.5mm overbore seems common enough, and would be a slight boost in displacement as well.  Cometic head gaskets can be ordered with any bore size.

What bore was the piston quote for?

Rabin

Another question would be if there is a break in price if more than x sets are ordered.

i.e.: If you find four other people on this site to commit to purchasing a kit, it might result in lower costs.

PS: Are those Canadian Dollars? Let's make sure that we're all using the same yardstick!

I'd check with Arias and Diamond as well since I know they have made N9TE pistons previously as well.

V-M has also just built his engine using Tama's recipe of Saab (&Volvo?) parts with seemingly great success.  

Rabin

Volvo B21ET pistons (92mm) and saab B201-202 conrods, all mod of that engine used same conrods (134mm), both takes power up to 400hp. 3 engines now build with that set up. Pistons (used) and new rings 300e and conrods (used) 50e. Pistons are hard to find, my set came from sweden. But in US there was many 740 series with that engine so imagine those pistons could be found from delalers old storages or engines from scrap yards.

V-M

• 2 weeks later...

Rabin, V-M,

Thanks for the information, will pass that along to my brother to see what he thinks about going the SAAB/Volvo route...  I see a Turbo wagon was just posted to Craigslist in Falmouth, ME with Arias forged pistons.  Will give them a call to see what the going rate for pistons is from them these days.

Will follow up with additional info...  Prices I was quoting were US $, as

Keep us posted.

This discussion got me researching other options as well.  Issue I ran into is how wide the big end connecting rod bearing is...

Called a machine shop to see about offset grinding a new big end in the middle of ~29mm race to suit another rod I found, but I now need to see if it will affect the oil gallery, and then get input from the engine builder.  (Highly unorthodox request - builder said he's never run across it before!)

This will be a winter project for me so no results for a few months.

Plan B will be the Volvo/Saab recipe. 

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...