505 Turbo rear suspension upgrade

NorPug

Hi,

I have read this tread: 

Great chart. 

Before reading this i have ordered some custom adjustable shocks from Spax. They are ordered to fit standard length and dimension. There may be some adjustment to make them fit. Not sure if the top stem will bolt on directly. I will post an update when this is done.

I am now looking into some springs to exchange the standard one. A bit more stiffer and maybe 20mm lower. Have anyone found a spring that could fit in the stock suspension? 

Hi NorPug,

The best solution I can think of are the Sport springs that were offered as a factory upgrade for the 505 back in the day.  I have a new set that my brother "accidently" installed on his car - as well as recently done a 3 day track school at Virginia International Raceway - so they're well proven to be a fantastic upgrade.

Plan when I got them was to have them duplciated by a spring shop so that we could offer them again to enthusiasts.

Their have been other springs mentioned - MB 190 rear springs come to mind - but the best option in my mind is to remake these Sport springs.  

Difficulty now is getting my brother to uninstall and start the process of getting them made.  Hopefully we'll able to line things up and then get a group buy together so that we can have a few sets made up.

Rabin

That sounds like an great idea Rabin. Do they need the spring for comparison or is it enough to provide spec of original + stiffer + a little bit shorter?

I have also heard of the MB190 option, but what year of MB is unknown. Maybe V-M knows. 

i'm not that familiar with the 505 coil springs situation, but i've had to deal with custom coil springs for rear engine fiat 's, from junkyard springs to made to order, from the best shops in europe, in my opinion OEM springs are the best choose, you've mentioned mercedes 190e rear springs, i know newer chrysler vehicles ( Dodge: charger, chalenger, 300, magnum... ) are using the exact rear suspensions as mercedes 190 and w210, i would advise you to check the spring diameters if chrysler keep same spring diameter you should have lots chose in OEM and aftermarket in the US.