505 Turbo 1987 strut replacement

NorPug

Hi,

I started out a project with rebuilding a none ABS hub (1986) to fit with Volvo740 stut. I planned to use Koni adjustable insert and coilover. The problem with this setup is that i'll have to chande back to original every time the car goes to the mandatory roadworthy test (EU inspection). So with only the camber-plate missing I'll try another soluitons.

My project looked similar to this:
Bilderesultat for peugeot 505 strut

I got some part from a 1987 turbo that I parted out. Amongst this I have the complete front struts and hubs (shocks are leacking) . I'm looking into just changing theese struts to wathever that will fit. They look pretty simple and I guess that there would be possible to find some that match. If they look similar to original they will pass the roadability test. 

My 1987 struts look like this:
Bilderesultat for peugeot 505 strut

If e.g. some more common type of car have a strut that could fit, it would be easier to get upgrade parts from that starting point.

I found an replacement chart for the rear shocks (made by Metako?). Stuff like that is great. I have been looking through a lot of post's on this forum and find that many are having great ideas but the treads lack of correct part numbers and final specification. Maybe we can sort out a similar list for the front (if not already done?)

I'm also changing brake rotors all way around. + rear suspension. (Posting another tread)

It's getting harder to find parts for theese babys. (Site tip: https://www.franzose.de/en/Home/ ) 
So any aftermarket/othermarket upgrade that can fit with minor fitment is great knowledge. 

Did you get the lower control arms off that 86 as well?  The newer ABS setup uses a much longer control arm - you'll have crazy camber if you try to use the one piece strut with them. :)

Back to your spring post - If we did get a set of the springs made up you could simply use the Volvo inserts in the ABS strut housings with the lower sport springs.

Arun raved about how good the car was on track - so I'm quite stoked about getting them duplicated.

Rabin

Not sure what you mean by a spring shop?  

In the interim you might look at clamping coils together to both lower and stiffen the stock springs.  Cutting coils increases spring rate too much, but clamping coils only affects the active coil count so the spring rate increase isn't as severe.

Rabin

• 4 years later...

Not just you Norman!

The 8 valve hydraulic shocks and long travel suspension are just amazing!

Can’t help with the Flex, except to say I’ve always seen them as the closest thing we got to a domestic wagon in recent memory.  Quite like them, and have often found myself looking and the Lincoln MKZ version with the 3.5 Eco boost.  

Rabin