Deuce gets a cure For arthritis

Deuce slowly began to ride and handle worse and worse. So I got under it but did not see or feel anything loose or leaking. Eventually I concluded that the right front strut was not dampening correctly. Inasmuch as the '87 ABS strut is not serviceable, like the earlier non ABS car, it was necessary to replace the whole strut. Being a bit of a gambler I found that Holms had a used one. Most would replace both but this right front strut had no signs of leaking and actually passed the bumper bounce test so I bought the one used strut.

What I found was that the original strut worked correctly - except for the first 20% of compression travel from fully extended.  Fully extended the piston would move up and down with little resistance but any compression beyond that it was functioning perfectly and remained dampening all the way to fully extended. Again there was no signs of leaking and having put 80k miles on it for a total of 148k miles it had not leaked out at some time earlier. The valve inside, I believe, had some kind of issue. I guess I must have been too aggressive on some speed bump somewhere.

So Deuce is fixed but I share this as it's an unusual failure. You could have a shock valve fail or you can loose fluid but this was a partial valve failure. IMHO

Deuce 042617c.jpg