1982 604 TD

Double02

@andrethx - I think I'm mostly just trying to make myself feel better about the bill :-) 

@Rabin - it was a local shop but I didn't catch the name. I'll find out. re: Scott - he has a second episode out, but parts 3 (painting and the trip) and 4 (the recovery of the VW Fox) aren't up yet.

Someone once said car restoration is not a process for anyone but the rich and from what I can see it's true (I am not rich!).  If it makes you feel better, a Kugelfischer injection pump rebuild for a 404 runs over 1500 Euros.

Will you be putting the protective door stripping back on at some point?  

I am expecting a few glitches when getting my 404C going again over the next couple of years.  But it's a pretty simple car and I remember a lot of tricks from when 404 Injections were my daily drivers for a decade.

Probably not Mike. The molding that was on prior to paint wasn't original, and looked like generic stick-on stuff. I'm not a big fan of '80s moldings in any case, and think it looks cleaner this way. I'm not out to win any concourse points. 

Mostly I'm just looking forward to getting some driving in before the weather turns. I've only managed about 500 km since picking it up, but hope to at least double that by next weekend, and maybe triple before tucking it away for the winter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Final video is up, including some nonsense in a VW Fox my friends picked up for the return trip after delivering the 604. 

Thankfully I haven't managed to uncover any new issues in the last couple of months. For minor sorting - the fuel gauge is working, all the instrument cluster lights are working, and I have a front license plate bracket. Just need a brush for the fan clutch and it will be ready for anything. 

I did get in nearly 1,000 km of driving recently, including 500 km one day on a fun rally through the Fraser Valley. The car has been a real pleasure to drive and while it is now hibernating for the winter, I'm looking forward to taking it on some road trips next year. Considering the car sat for over ten years I figure 1,500 km is a pretty good first-season achievement. 

Over the winter I'll get the parcel shelf re-trimmed since it's faded to this weird mauve colour. It will also need some minor front end repairs since an idiot in a Smart car rolled through a stop sign and turned left, the wrong way down the street into my lane, and straight into my bumper. I saw him coming and hit the brakes so was only going about 30 km/hr at impact, but it did damage one of the bumper mounts and cracked my grille. Took a bit of educating the insurers to convince them the car wasn't a $1,000 heap since 604s don't exist in their computers, but repairs are now approved and parts sourced. Would have been easier to just do it myself but since the other driver was such an idiot I wanted his insurance to take a punitive hit. 

The wrap up at the end somewhat made up for the Fox content...  :)

Too bad about the fender bender - would have been a great opportunity to upgrade to euro lights.  

Likely not doable now - but I do have to share an idea I've had for years:  euro lights from the 86-92 VW Vanagon look awful close to the 604 euro lights.  

Would take a little fabrication of course - but I'd be curious just how close they are.

Failing that - that 4 headlight set up with good Bosch/Hella/Cibie headlights is quite hard to beat 

Rabin

I definitely would have preferred a payout that would have funded Euro lighting, but ICBC insists on paying to replace like for like, insists on receipts, and I'm not going to try any funny business with insurers. I'll still do the upgrade eventually, along with bumpers. 

When I had European H-4s in my 1984 Renault 5 - not OEM for that year - and some moron in a Toyota turned into it in Chinatown in 1992, ICBC paid for me to buy a brand new H-4 out of Europe.  They can be flexible.  Also: consider getting Hagerty insurance.

I actually have Hagerty now so won't have to go through the hassle again. I'd planned on it all along but my timing was just a bit off. To prove it was the right call, the local head Hagerty guy told me his mom had a 504 Coupe in the UK, an his brother races Renault 5s. 

Insurance companies are very difficult to deal with here, last time i had an accident with the mi16x4 at first they acted cool thinking its an 91 cheap parts, once the main dealer give parts prices, and the agent show the front bumper with all the trims, lights brackets cost more than a grand, plas core support, radiator, hood, wing, headlight he got scared, it took couple of weeks to come to an agreement but they paid, i still had to spend some money out of pocket to fix it.

• 4 months later...

Starting to bring the car out of hibernation. It doesn't need, and isn't likely to get, much in the way of work or upgrades this year [courtesy of home renos], but something needed to be done about the parcel shelf which had faded to this weird shade of purple.

Exhibit A: before
0LIzYRzh.jpg

Exhibit B: after
oKdoRKWh.jpg

• 1 month later...

I did a few more updates this spring in preparation for a big rally event this last weekend (see separate post under the events/trips forum), i.e. repaired the minor accident damage (new grille, bumper mount, etc.), sorted the fan clutch, and changed the fuel filter. It was great to get the fan working properly again as the car is nice and quiet again, and those extra 7 hp are really appreciated going up some of the steeper hills around town.

I also shined it up so it was looking its best.

NVocTeYh.jpg

The car ran quite well and it was a great trip, although as usual I now have a new punch list of things. Mostly minor, although I think it's time to look for a new transmission. This one does have 186,000 miles on it, and in addition to that leak from the shifter fork and rattling in the main shaft, it has developed some whine in the gears under load. I know replacements are around, it's just going to be a case of finding a known good one that isn't so far away that shipping becomes a huge deal. Hopefully I'll find one that's close enough that I can pick it up myself with a long-weekend road trip.

• 2 weeks later...