Twin Turbo PRV V6...

Bean

Dang - I just got a brain storm and I want to bounce it off some other crazies... :)

The PRV V6 odd fire engine is essentially two three cylinder engines in the fact that each back of the engine runs very well independently. (Perfect firing order for a 3 cylinder)

The Suzuki Sprint Turbo is a 3 cylinder 1 L turbo engine. I've just come across easy and cheap access to two complete cars from which I could grab the intake and exhaust/turbo set ups from.

The idea is to adapt the intake/turbo set up from each Sprint to each bank of the V6. This would be a low boost set up - 5 - 6 psi MAX as to not over stress the engine.

Each bank has a little more displacement - but it should be within spec and allow for very fast spool up.

Crazy I know - but a twin turbo V6 would be quit the ride...

I also have a supercharger set up that I think would also be cool. (From a 3.3L Nissan V6)

Which would be the better way to go? (Pros and cons wanted...)

I also think I need some sort of professional help... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't the mechanical know-how to answer but I have thought of a twin-turbo set-up using the v6 off an STX as a project. Its something I definately would be interested in doing. You know what they say about great minds! :)

• 1 year later...
Guest puck_supra

Well it has to be said....BRILYANT! Any thing turbo if fun. So two turbos has to be even more fun right? Well lets start with the basics. What dose the stock V6 have as far as (displasment, fuel system, coprestion ratio, horse power). Stuff like that. we need a base line to start from. Next what are we looking at as far as the turbos go. What kinda room is under the hood where are they going to de mounted. I know this is just an idea for a project but lets think it over and have a game plan so if you do deside to do it you well have an idea what you are really geting yourself into.

I would love to see this project happen it sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Guest adegnes

Is this the v6 engine(slightly modified) used in the 505? The picture's from a french matra site:

http://sitematrarama.free.fr/V6turbo.htm

something to aim for...!!?!!

post-113-1171275188.jpeg

EDIT: Not the engine used in the 505 v6, but an engine Peugeot ordered for some F1 car...? (what I could understand/misunderstand out of the french article)

If one could get hold of one of these...!

• 4 months later...

There's a rallyist in the States that made over 500 HP out of a done up PRV motor... And "Mad" Mike Halley is doing up a long term project 505 Rally car with a done up PRV V6 with individual downdraft webers... That car should be wicked when it's done - but nothing like the twin turbo V6 in that Volvo... Sucker was legendary - but mostly for melting the drivetrain behind it. Motor was apparently quite reliable...

As for Max HP (as with anything else!) It's all about the $$$$. If you have the cash - it'll do what ever you want it to.

Rabin

Mad Mike

Check out the gallery's... Looks like he posted pics of Thanos' rally cars in Athens...

Rabin

nice.

just wonderin...

do you know if in 2 of those pics of the 505's, it picutes the the side of the car, wheels having ALOT of clearence from the fenders..

Was the car on a jack, or was it raised up sus. for rallying??

Nope - only turbo PRV V6 (That I know of) is the one John Lane has in a Volvo 260...

Not sure if it was TT or single though come to think of it. Mike Halley is planning on building a V6 505 rally car with weber carbs - much like the set up in Thanos' 504 coupe rally car on that site.

PRV's are SOHC that we saw here. The V6 I put in my 504 was out of a 604 - so it was just a carbed 2.7L.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

prv's over here are available in turbo form and they were fitted with 24v heads as well. in turbo form they made around 200 bhp but it wasnt exactly a high boost pressure. in dohc 24 valve form they made around 185 bhp.

have a search around the net for renault 25 turbo and peugeot 605 v6 or the citroen xm v6.

hth

• 1 month later...

Just to give you guys a little update - I'm currently in touch with John Lane, and we're discussing the possibility of him supplying everything needed to build up a turbo V6... Price point is the biggest obstacle - but with V6 parts readily available - and John race proving the set up in Rally racing - it might be the ultimate option instead of dealing with the N9TE's parts availability issues...

He currently has custom rods and pistons, and if the Pug V6 has the same cross bolted main caps then it should be just as strong as his B280 based monster that is said to put out at least 500 RWHP... He mentioned that anything over 6 psi and the entire driveline needs to be replaced / re-inforced and the engine makes unreal torque and HP.

He's actually a little curious to see it in a Pug... :lol: This may be an opportunity to say the least - since all the tuning and sorting out has already been done... Only question now is $$$.

This throws my whole plan up in the air - since this would now mean an engine swap into the 505 Turbo - and I've already sold off some parts that I'd need for the swap to work... Hopefully the driveshaft lengths work out too...

I'll keep you guys posted once I start getting some numbers. John is about to built another engine and he's going to keep track of all the costs so that I know exactly what it's going to run...

Later...

Rabin

Just to give you guys a little update - I'm currently in touch with John Lane, and we're discussing the possibility of him supplying everything needed to build up a turbo V6... Price point is the biggest obstacle - but with V6 parts readily available - and John race proving the set up in Rally racing - it might be the ultimate option instead of dealing with the N9TE's parts availability issues...

He currently has custom rods and pistons, and if the Pug V6 has the same cross bolted main caps then it should be just as strong as his B280 based monster that is said to put out at least 500 RWHP... He mentioned that anything over 6 psi and the entire driveline needs to be replaced / re-inforced and the engine makes unreal torque and HP.

He's actually a little curious to see it in a Pug... :D This may be an opportunity to say the least - since all the tuning and sorting out has already been done... Only question now is $$$.

This throws my whole plan up in the air - since this would now mean an engine swap into the 505 Turbo - and I've already sold off some parts that I'd need for the swap to work... Hopefully the driveshaft lengths work out too...

I'll keep you guys posted once I start getting some numbers. John is about to built another engine and he's going to keep track of all the costs so that I know exactly what it's going to run...

Later...

Rabin

wow

i cant wait to see your results

it would be insane

i havent seen any b280 powered bricks lately , 780's are really sweet bricks, theyre really rare.., but hey, we got them b230ft's!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard of a Delorean with a twin turbo setup pushing 350 very streetable horsepower. Didnt they make a twin turbo Alpine with the Renault v6 version from the factory ?

it was a french supercar manufacturer by the the name of venturi. 400bhp twin turbo prv.

edit: heres some more onformation: check out 1993. :(

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=103&i=3624

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very cool find indeed!

Hopefully we can get more info on it... I keep thinking of a boosted V6 - but I keep coming back to a SC instead of turbos to get the immediate response... Something like the bolt on Vortec blowers popular on Mustangs and such. Easy to install - self contained, and decent boost...

Ah well - still a pipe dream at this point - but oh so cool to contemplate!

Rabin

Hi You guys!!

I have been reading your corespondens for some time now, and would like to participate. About 5 month ago I bought an Renault Alpine A310 S with a prv v6 2,7L engine making only 150bhp. That is going to change, so I have been working on a prv 3,0L 12 valve from a XM 1994. I am looking for someone with experience in prv engines? I have been rebuilding almost the whole engine, the compression ratio is now about 11/1, headers compleetly done and modified, 296 cams, special engine manegement system, intake system very modified made with 90mm airintake, prepared for turbo (by making oil preparation at the engine bottom) and modified exhoust system.

My goal is 220bhp without turbo. I know that the engine compression ratio must come down, if and when the turbo comes on. My question is all so: I am looking for special pistons, crankpins and crank made for high boost???

By the way, Happy Newyear.

Glen

post-313-1199473926.jpg

post-313-1199473965.jpg

post-313-1199473999.jpg

Hi You guys!!

I have been reading your corespondens for some time now, and would like to participate. About 5 month ago I bought an Renault Alpine A310 S with a prv v6 2,7L engine making only 150bhp. That is going to change, so I have been working on a prv 3,0L 12 valve from a XM 1994. I am looking for someone with experience in prv engines? I have been rebuilding almost the whole engine, the compression ratio is now about 11/1, headers compleetly done and modified, 296 cams, special engine manegement system, intake system very modified made with 90mm airintake, prepared for turbo (by making oil preparation at the engine bottom) and modified exhoust system.

My goal is 220bhp without turbo. I know that the engine compression ratio must come down, if and when the turbo comes on. My question is all so: I am looking for special pistons, crankpins and crank made for high boost???

By the way, Happy Newyear.

Glen

post-313-1199476491.jpg

post-313-1199476515.jpg