Back brakes

Marc

On a 505 stx back brakes I was told that you will lose you emergency brakes permanently if you don't turn one quarter turn the calipers puston. My question is: if that is true which way do you turn it clock wise or counter clock wise? My second question is: while I'm putting in new brake pads, i want to also put in new caliper kits, but can i take the tension spring off and release the emergency brake cable or does that connected to the quarter turn thing on the caliper, it seems to me that it would have to be connected if not turning it would permanently remove the ability to use it.

Hi Marc,

If memory serves the piston rotates clockwise,  but it should turn easily so just wiggle it either direction and it should be obvious.

Rotating the piston just frees it from the ratcheting teeth if the park brake mechanism.  Should be able to loosen tension spring no problem. 

Is your car ABS?  If so - bleeding the rear is different as you just crack the bleeder on caliper and then turn ignition on and the ABS pump will pump the brake fluid out.

Rabin