Mike T

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32221784006_94098f4987_o.jpg

On the right, new old stock front suspension arms with new bushings, painted in POR-15.

On the left, the two arms that came out of the 404C.  One had a totally loose bushing that fell out when the arm was removed (I drove the metal sleeve out with a chisel).  That one is in good condition and I will repaint it for future spare parts.  The one with the bushing still in it has damaged threading and will be recycled.

Yes, the big threads stripped on the left arm.  I had to apply about 1400 Nm of force to get that one off.  Even after unstaking the nut, it was super tight.  This is a weak point in the 404, if the threads start to strip, the suspension geometry changes and eventually the threads can let go entirely.  I had bad threads on a 404C before and it took a while for me to realize what was loose when the steering got weird in a corner.  That is why I decided to use brand new front arms in this case, which should be good for the next 50 years if not more. 

It is the thread visible at the end of the arm.  I applied the estimated torque with a ~90 cm long breaker bar, holding the far end and using all my body weight 100+kg) and more to break the nut free.  I had to use the breaker bar for about 10 turns of the nut, that is how bad it was!

Thanks Bill.

Tonight I was sanding rust off the anti-roll bar components and a few other small bits.  Fiddly work and most unpleasant....Friday night or Sunday I will paint them with POR-15 as well.  I hope to finish cleaning the rear axle casing as well.  Then I need to sandblast the cast iron crossmember, brake drums (outer surfaces), brake backing plates, Panhard rod, rear springs and some other bits and paint them as well.  At that point the suspension cleaning and painting will be complete and bushings will need to be pressed in and it'll be ready.

Meanwhile I hope on Saturday to have the new front (Peugeot OE)  shocks installed.

And then I have to start work on all the other parts: wipers, heater motor, door innards including window mechanisms, other bits and pieces.

The gearbox needs new bearings so I will have someone in Victoria do that job, and the engine needs a rebuild.  I will do that myself but lots of contracting out is needed.  The new head needs unleaded valve seats, crank may need a grind, engine block needs to be boiled out and painted, and so on.

Fuel tank needs to be cleaned out and sealed, radiator and heater core need work.

How are liking the POR-15 for your suspension coatings?  

Curious how you're findng adhesion - A buddy used it on his frame and found it was actually sticking better to rougher quickly cleaned sections than it was to properly sanded and prepped sections.

Assume your brushing on - is it leveling to a nice finish? 

Leaning the POR-15 route as well as it's very tough and easily touched up - powder coat isn't nearly as maintence friendly once it's damaged/chipped.

Rabin

It has been good.  The suspension part preparation has consisted of sanding with 80 grit paper and then wire brushing by hand with rust remover, washing, drying the cleaning with solvent.  So the surface is very rough.  It's brushed on and the surface is perfectly smooth after drying.  Adherence so far is amazing.

Agreed about powder coat, one nick and it comes off in huge flakes a year later.

I stopped by the shop today to drop off a new front crossmember and rear jack mount I just got this week from Joern Haarmann.... 

32256695606_64906f2ba6_b.jpg
Left front floor partially reconstructed, rocker panel/sill on this side is being made in the shop because I only have one in NOS for the other side of the car.

32256730676_5280e1ed98_b.jpg
Front left detail of floor under reconstruction

31485314023_c4b8461aaa_b.jpg
The car seen from the front

32176449821_6f2f242940_b.jpg
Reconstruction of the left floor (work in progress) seen from inside the car.

This is a beautiful thing to see, a professional at work, all of his spot welds are properly spaced, he is achieving good penetration on his welds and the use of weld thru primer, just to finish welding the inner door sill extension, little clean up and the left side is finished, looking forward to more photos and progress.

The work continued over the past two weeks.  Excellent progress has been made: the floors and rocker panel/sills are complete, the rear fender skins have been drilled off and the new ones readied, with work underneath in progress.  It is fantastic to see!

32441232541_054666d893_b.jpg

32563957765_5a23dcaede_b.jpg

32410824702_6a70a009c3_b.jpg

32522871346_412db0655b_b.jpg

31752006093_cb3184bce6_b.jpg

32184749430_792c3d5ab7_b.jpg

http://www.coachwerks.com/MT1966Peugeot404C/

This is a link to the project as it progresses.  Feel free to watch every once in  while for updates.  The page starts on the "arrival", but for the good stuff, click on "update 1" which will bring you to Tuesday January 31st.

Wow.  Really impressed with their detailed progress pictures!

If at all possible to get access to a bulk upload of pictures - I'd love to duplicate the albums in the gallery for posterity sake.

Rabin

I am amazed at the steps taken and work progress on Update 1. You certainly chose an excellent partner in your restoration project. Looking forward to actually seeing the finished project.

Thanks, Harry!

The new right rear fender is welded onto the car.  The rear jack mount and part of the inner fender were just rebuilt.  Looking good!  This fender was severely rusted before the transplant.  I found the rear fenders from a Peugeot service point in Williamsburg, Ontario in 2004.  Under $500 each, cheap!

31834970064_95309129e2_b.jpg