1966 404 Coupé Injection Restoration

Mike T

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I didn't do much for the car, but I did manage to take the steering shaft out of the column for a thorough cleaning and lubrication.  Between the shaft and the column in the photo, you can see the upper rubber coated bronze bushing that provides location for the shaft.  All parts are in great condition so after a coating of thick grease, it's all back together.  

26735427308_f97104e6ef_b.jpg

Refitted the Carrosserie Peugeot plate with new copper rivets from Hong Kong.  Amazing how hard it was to find rivets that approximate the look of the originals!  I will clearcoat the plate now that it's mounted, to give it a smoother finish.

39788250375_cdaf07fcf0_b.jpg

The third batch of cadmium plating has been done, and about half of the stainless steel trim polished:

40739403421_d8f5d88870_b.jpg

I snapped the window frame SS trim back on both doors, and provisionally put the beltline trim on as well.  The rear quarter window trims will be next. 

26868170498_446e2fbb99_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have slowed down a bit but a short while ago I mounted the Pininfarina door jamb wedges with the new clear plastic gaskets I got from Peugeot in France:

40922187622_a2d9d5b2d5_b.jpg

Tomorrow a few more parts go in for cadmium plating: hood latch, a few bolts etc and the clips that hold the rear quarter windows in.  The front fender stainless steel strips will also be polished by the same shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

40618861134_2d2e117192_b.jpg

26460820967_5cc81795ec_b.jpg

Today I installed the rubber flaps (which I had to remake) for the front inner fenders, which are intended to keep the mud out of the back of the front fenders.

I also derusted three of the rear brake lines and painted them.  May remake one or all of them, but I wanted to inspect them carefully first.

In just over two weeks, we will be in Japan for our son's wedding so work will stop until mid-May. 

27532090878_4f217e9781_b.jpg

Latest batch of plating, including engine hood latch, support mount for SEV wiper motor, three of the four decent used front suspension bolts (spare, but with better plating than the new Peugeot-supplied ones I have installed), and of course the 10 rear side window trim clips.

• 1 month later...

Today I finally resumed work on the 404C after about two months! 

The passenger door side window winder cable went in beautifully, and after winding the handle back and forth several times, the cable settled and the winder did about 8.5 complete revolutions. OK, good! 

So then the driver's door, with the winder given to me by Nick Angiuli from Florida went in. It seems that it was sort of wound improperly on the drum because I could only get 5 turns in. So I removed it again and wound it back and forth with the cable tensioned over a round metal part of my vise. 

Eventually I got 8.5 turns and then carefully held the cables near the drum while reinstalling. Mounted in the car, it had 8.5 turns to the handle! Woo-hoo! 

The next stage is to get new tracking for the window glass and then to attach the window carriers to the cables. That should be a bit of work, but I am not dreading it like I was today's job.

27855362207_992cbbc97d_c.jpg
27855372117_d63d8eb890_c.jpg
42724003941_f04734c804_c.jpg

This looks very italian, it's specific to the 404 C right?
Lada had (has?) allmost exactly the same system:

2107-m360.jpg

Might be a good supply if the parts match, they looks like ugly knock off of 70' Fiat parts but they must withstand the russian winter and so some may even be better engineered.

That sure looks like fiat parts, i have the same setup in my zastava 750, Fiat 600 clone, i've also have come across it in lada sedans, the gears are important, cable length is easy to change, they use only one crimp and the cable gets stored over one another so it grips itself, i may have couple mechanisms from fiat and lada in my spare parts if you ever need measurements.

• 2 weeks later...

9960736736_2e4818bbf8_c.jpg

The photo above is of a Jaeger sports instrument panel for the 404C that was sold as an accessory in the 1960s.  I have wanted one for a long time, but they are rarely for sale and when they are, the cost is very high, 1000+ Euros.

So I have been looking to make one myself, using Canadian versions of these same gauges from the same era (or just afterwards, late 1960s).  In this case I have put together five of the six necessary gauges, as shown below:

42963904102_ae934907af_c.jpg

The speedometer with trip odometer is from a Renault 8 Gordini, Canadian version, as are the battery and temperature *F gauges.  The rev counter is from a Renault 8S from Canada, which has a redline at 6200
RPM which is about correct for a 404 Injection.  The fuel gauge is also from the 8S, but identical to that fitted to the Gordini.

Now all I need is an oil pressure gauge to match, and them to make a plate to receive all the gauges.

However, when the 404C is first assembled I will be using the original instruments.  This one will be added a few years later.

• 1 month later...

I do have an oil pressure gauge to match now....and....

42986060534_a3b386c120_c.jpg

What a fun day! OK not really. I managed to get the passenger door lock installed and working, something that eluded me last time. Then I put the side glass in and tried rolling it up, and the cables were binding on the winding drum so it would not go up more than halfway.

Recognizing that the previous installation was not done properly :( , I had to take it out. The drum that has the cable windings on it was a total mess, a rat's nest of tangles. I spent about 90 minutes doing random stuff to it like un-looping cable, not fully knowing what I was doing. But in the end I got the drum wound properly - one end of the cable on one side of the drum and the other end on the other, with five windings of cable over the drum in between. Holding it carefully I reinstalled it in the door and then installed the glass again (1 hour's work there) and it works!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job on the bright work all the stainless really set the paint off, when assembling stuff like mechanisms or pulleys there is always a learning curve and many trick to make it go smoother, i deal with this all the time at work with all the different models and trim level of buses we are building plus is a line production so time is never enough, keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

29769103237_0c57704d04_c.jpg

43797069525_bab81a63d8_c.jpg

I was dreading removing for the second time the driver's side window winder cables to reseat them properly.  It went reasonably well.  As did the installation of the window tracking.  The nightmare was installing the interior door opener - getting the clip on to the door latch, blind and inside the door was "fun".  I also installed the door lock.  Installing the glass is a pain too.  Ugh, glad it's over. 

• 2 weeks later...

31125496268_3d2c5e1e7c_b.jpg
Installed passenger side vent window with the new gasket....

30061973057_dbb4f5e8b9_b.jpg
Record rear dampers installed.  Wish I could get Peugeot rears but I can't...

44279136674_2b7a53f871_c.jpg
Driver's side vent window installed with new gasket

31125493878_46cf6b65a1_c.jpg
Lower rear 1/4 window trim installed - had to drill my new panels to make that happen :eek: