1966 404 Coupé Injection Restoration

Mike T

Our long-time Peugeot friend Jim Schlick of Bloomington IL passed away earlier this year and his estate had an auction of some of his car parts, the first bit of which ended today. A fellow I know through Facebook bid for me on three lots, which resulted in winning bids. Nothing massive, but still interesting for me.

$20 for these SEV wiper blades for 404C and others, plus what looks like 405 wipers at the top:

1724054959_Wipers404CAuction(12).thumb.jpeg.e910f9bd9a9ec7bb79ab0e41e9fbe3a8.jpeg

$15 for these two 404C driving light trim rings:

739403584_404CHRRingsAuction(2).thumb.jpeg.101ca5916eb55d251c61f7a667ad0599.jpeg

$25 for 4 NOS 404C headlight rings:

973697655_HeadlightringsAuction(4).thumb.jpeg.9b666cac451877fbe99bbc83bc20446c.jpeg

I mainly bid on this stuff because I thought it might be tossed if no-one bid on it, but the low price is a bonus. Chad will bring the stuff with him to Seattle in June next year and we'll go down there to meet him, buy him dinner and collect it.

My 404C does not have the 1967-68 driving lights, so those will be for sale. I already have 4 NOS headlight rings so at least one of the two sets will be for sale.  And a lot of those wipers will be sought after in Europe. May make a buck or five.

Part two of the Jim Schlick auction will be happening sometime in the weeks or months to come, with the more collectible cars being for sale at the time: 404 Cabriolet, 404 Coupé Injection, 404 sedan, 404 wagon, 403 sedan, 204 Cabriolet, and much more. Curiously, the hard tops for the 204C and 404 Cabriolet were sold in the first auction, $50 each.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunday I made up and installed the following brake lines with metric-nutted fittings (11 mm):

• firewall to front splitter
  • front splitter to LF wheel
  • front splitter to RF wheel
  • rubber hose on torque tube to rear proportioning valve
  • rear proportioning valve to LR wheel
  • rear proportioning valve to RR wheel

The only metal line not remade now is the long one that goes from front to rear, and so it's the only one with 3/8" fitting nuts. Just for symmetry and to have a coherent set of nuts I think I will do it too. Then check tightness and attempt a bleed.

• 4 weeks later...

The Carello 404 Coupé license plate light arrived today. Minty new. It cost me 95 Euros including postage to Canada from Italy. Actually the seller paid 26.90 EUR for the postage! There was something rattling around inside the package, which was inside the light - see the 3rd photo for details of what it was.

1115886951_LicensePlateLight1.thumb.jpeg.b1e1c4c96c00bc1ffd1536a41dfdbeca.jpeg1557651802_LicensePlateLight2.thumb.jpeg.562d6175f295c4a52e55cad1311044d4.jpeg108570587_WSsprayernozzle.thumb.jpeg.9dba59845d271d468f649c3bc2ecdd69.jpeg

License Plate Light 3.jpeg

The J7 is made in France so it's strange to find small "made in Italy" bits. The J5 was made in Italy with the C25 and Ducato but at this period there should be little to no chrome left. Maybe it's from the older Citroën C35 that was also made in Italy.

• 3 weeks later...

I chopped a small bit of a finger tip off on Christmas day when peeling potatoes (!) so had to let it heal before commencing garage work. This meant the week after Xmas, which I had off as holiday, was therefore a bust for 404C work.

However, today I made the last of the new brake lines, version 2.0, and installed it. Next weekend I will attempt a bleed and hope to move onto the next stage: engine reassembly.

1734576426_Secondbrakecentreline.jpeg.2fae92ec7c54b46e9434d2ff676b521a.jpeg

1684697112_Centrebrakelineinstalled.jpeg.7b5dbb926b6dd3221be3330568b25528.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the bleed done, no leaks at the new unions (under low pressure, see below), and a bubble-free bleed.... that's the good news.

The bad news is there is no pedal pressure, so the NOS master cylinder must be shot. That'll come out next weekend.

• 5 weeks later...

Master is out, was OK other than some minor surface corrosion on the area of the second seal in its resting place. So I doubt that was the issue. Will reassemble soon with my rebuild kit.

I've ordered a pressure bleeder which should arrive soon, and with that blowing through the reservoir cap it should get all the air out. If not, well.....there should be a massive leak somewhere.

While waiting, yesterday I had a request from a 404 Injection owner in Tanzania who I know remotely thanks to the Internet to buy three Kugelfischer injectors. Since I have 14 spares, I will sell him three. They're used and tested - good pressure setting, good spray and insignificant dripping, so I offered them at 200 Euros each. New old stock injectors are worth 450 Euros - I have 6 of those, 4 of which will be on the car once it's done. I'll be keeping at least 6 in reserve for this car.

I got lucky some years ago when I traded my scrapped 405's stainless steel cat-back exhaust and some other 405 parts plus paid $100 to Robert Bruce in Winnipeg for the 6 NOS injectors! That was a long time ago - 2009 - and I didn't actually know if they were any good until they were tested after I got them.

• 2 months later...

Bit of a delay due to gall bladder issues...hope to have them sorted by summer's end (surgery/recovery) at which point we're headed to Europe for 6 weeks. So once again the car will be delayed....

• 1 month later...

Recovering well from surgery; the parts from Chad Hagen were handed over to my son in Seattle last weekend and are now home. Except for two of the headlight rings, which are on their way to France as of Tuesday.

The four complete NOS SEV Azur wiper blade mechanisms and 12 refills for the same is a good score - the 4th one is hidden in the 405 wiper blade box in this shot. One of the CIPA mirrors is already on my car. I'd like to think that Jim would approve of me acquiring this stuff, Jim was a friend of mine.

1765684612_JimSchlickstuff.thumb.jpeg.db14124cde05dc8ceb16b1f09dbeb71e.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Our youngest daughter's wedding is in just over 2 months and then we'll be in Europe for 6 weeks, so work on the 404C will resume in earnest in late November 2023. Meanwhile I will get cycling again, after being off the bike for 6+ weeks, it's overdue.

I may have to buy a new set of rocker arms; the shop that did the engine (poorly, which is why it's apart again) may not have put the little divots in the bronze replacement bushes. Will check that before I go to France and pick a new set up when there, if required.

• 5 months later...

Did jack squat on the car until just after Xmas, when I repainted the three Purflux fuel filter/decanter bodies I have in POR-15 - the one with the decal is for the car. In a few weeks' time I should be able to put the brakes back together and then get the engine assembled.

image.png.de58bf0e1765fec7696af502e2d01d11.png