1966 404 Coupé Injection Restoration

Mike T

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered some 0.5 mm oversized main bearings sent from Peugeot but they sent the wrong ones - three main bearing lead-Indium 404 Injection mains 0.3 mm oversized (visible in the photo).  So the correct ones have been sent today, and it seems they don't want the incorrect ones back.  Also in the shipment were the things in the photo.  New stainless steel instrument panel trim for when I eventually build the Jaeger sports instrument panel, plus a spare oil pressure sending unit.

In the bag are some original type small diameter hose clamps for the heater hoses.

I also got some English language owners manuals of cars I've had (404C, but with carbureted engine) or wanted (504C). The latest bit (504 C owners manual, La Production Peugeot 1963 and a first edition 404 Cabriolet French language owners manual should be here soon.

I will work on extracting the sludge trap plugs from the crankshaft this weekend. Likely have to drill all 4 out.

A set of the missing brass banjo fittings for the front drums has been sent by a kind soul in France, a 404 Club member - free! I'll send him something as a thank you.

Sochaux parts.jpg

Thanks to Bruno Garovo for sending the right set of bearings which arrived today (anyone need a set of Lead-Indium 0.3 mm mains for a very early KF 3 main bearing engine?).

I also got back from the powder coater the valve cover, timing cover, sump, coil holder and spare wheel.  Photo taken just now in Victoria in the smart hatch, in the light rain.

71-B41-FBF-B3-F9-4-CD6-AA9-C-F76-FD26054

Victoria company.  Yeah I think I'll do assembly myself unless the shop that does the machine work makes me an offer I can't refuse, and cheap.  So I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it.  Will post ample photos.

Have you thought about block paint colour?  I tried researching to see if Peugeot had some sort of code or system for engine block colours but never really found anything definitive. 

Was really after seeing if Peugeot Sport did anything special on the race cars...  :)

Rabin

The correct set of NOS bearings sent by l'Aventure Peugeot were somewhat damaged (2 of them had bad chattering marks on them from being loose in the package) when they arrived so I bought a set on eBay out of Israel that had good photos of the bearing surface.  0.5 mm oversized.

Well when parts come, it's like christmas for car guys, but when they came damaged or misrepresented it's very frustrating, and you have some uneducated person on the other end that think everything can be fixed with super glue and damaged on new parts is acceptable, this happens to me pretty often and gets on my nerves.

It was annoying, because at first they sent a set of three main bearing Lead-Indium bearings in 0.3 mm o/s which were OK but wrong.... I still have those too, second faulty set was no charge. But I figured any NOS they had there would be similarly damaged so I just went for some I knew were OK.

Unrelated to the restoration but I got these today.  English language 504 C manual (my Dad wanted to buy one when we lived in the Netherlands in 1971 but he was told it would be illegal to import to Canada, which I think was wrong because he was in the armed forces and could have brought a non-conforming car back).  French language 404 cabriolet manual, first edition I think.  1963 catalogue of all the various vehicles Peugeot made in that model year.

manuals.jpg

If anyone has tips for how to non-destructively clean cast aluminum - specifically, the throttle body, and two parts of the huge intake manifold - I'm all ears.  They're a little stained and dirty-looking.  It's raw cast aluminum.  I suppose silver paint could help but I'm not sure I want to go there.

Apart from cleaning, the throttle body needs to be disassembled and cleaned out, just as a precaution.  I have new bearings for the throttle plate axle, if needed.  I probably want to plate some of the associated hardware as well.

But I'm going on holiday for two weeks so not much is going to happen, I expect, but if it does, I'll post it here.

I don't know if having removable brass sludge traps in a forged steel crankshaft is a common thing, but Peugeots had that for a long time, from the 1940s through the 1980s.  It's tempting not to remove the hex-headed brass plugs because they are staked in place and unstaking (reversing the damage to the thread is difficult and it's easy to damage the brass, in which case the plug will have to be drilled out.  I am using a Dremel to do the unstaking.  The first one I tried before the Dremel is now stuck.  This one worked better.

You can see inside the trap, there is a medium grey deposit that looks as though it might be part of the casting is sludge, the consistency of slightly moist clay.  There is not a lot of oil passage left clear and a couple of the oiling points on the front centre and rear mains were partially blocked too.  Ao, if restoring a Peugeot engine if the XC or XM/XN series, don't skip this step!

I also got from Jean-Marc Faivre in France a free pair of the banjo fittings that my car has likely been missing for three years! Very generous!

sludge in trap 1.jpg

front brake banjos from Jean-Marc.jpg

The Peugeot 404 crankshaft sludge trap plugs are brass and have a large hex keyway. The threading into which they're screwed is staked, which damages the threads in one spot and so reversing that damage is required before they'll come out. I used a Dremel power tool with a dentist drill sized head to take the ridges off the threads by the staking.

The hex tool will work sometimes, allowing you to turn the thing all the way out, though it likely will be stiff as hell. In my case, this tool worked one in four times. The other three were immediately rounded.

So I took a different approach for those. I used a larger Dremel drill head to carve a small channel at each of the 6 corners of the hex depressions and then hammered a Torx-60 socket into place. Rammed it home!

Using this approach on the three jammed ones made removal easy.

I got a similar amount of sludge/paste out of all 4.

I find it interesting that the 2nd and 4th main bearings appear not to be pressure lubricated at all

4 crank plugs.jpg

4 crank plugs with T60.jpg

sludge in #1.jpg

I was wrong about the main bearings 2 and 4...it seems as though they were an afterthought following the 3 main bearing engine but they do indeed have pressured oiling from the block, just not internal canals inside the crankshaft.  Serves me right for spending too much time staring at the crankshaft yesterday!

Is the 504 the same?  505 XN6?

• 2 weeks later...