1966 404 Coupé Injection Restoration

Mike T

The front seats have been reupholstered by Geoff Chrysler.  

Very nice: natural grain dyed through light grey "Hyde" brand leather, with heating elements (I'll need a better alternator than it came with to power that!).  Parts of the headliner (also redone by Geoff) are visible in the foreground.  

His next task is redoing the rear bench, which has a fold-down armrest.  I may get the parts in the photo this coming Monday.

46822189984_fc21dbd78e_c.jpg

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coming along nicely Mike!  So glad to see that.

Question for you.  Can you ask your leather guy if he has a recommendation for a leather shop in Seattle?

If he doesn't have anybody, would it be proper to bring up a set of 505 Series II gray leather seats for him to do.  Your look just luscious there!  

Thanks,

I will see him tomorrow and ask, but he's a home-based business so I don't know how well connected to Seattle upholsters he will be.  Our dollar is cheap now.  Mind you, all seats plus headliner are 6 grand CAD.

There's not a lot more to see - they're very simple seats.....

Heating element cord for the backrest....adjustment knobs for backrest angle and their stops.

33691764168_07123dc50e_c.jpg

Side view.

33691764178_6abce2d0eb_c.jpg

Underneath - new bands and foam visible, as well as the seat cushion heating element cord.

47515602472_b5a1bfb7da_c.jpg

Looks fine for me...

$6K sounds like a lot, but if you bought a love seat and two chairs with that quality you'd be in the same ball park price wise.

Really appreciate the additional pics Mike - I love seeing the details.  :)

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Whipped the Kugelfischer injection pump and head off today.  I'll bring the pump with me to Britain next week for calibration and new seals, and the head seems good with no fine cracks between valve seats, although I have a new one to use.  The liners have a nearly undetectable lip at the top so could be reused, but won't be, because I have new ones.

46757438845_6c7541085a_b.jpg

47620427152_0f8a40cec4_b.jpg

My Kugelfischer KF2 injection pumps - the one from the car is second from left.
47719227681_9265872e0a_c.jpg

The stainless steel trims from front and rear windscreens as well as the back of the roof buttresses.
33842201878_65e5d6cde6_c.jpg

Rear bench seat in light grey leather.
40752894123_19c9680335_c.jpg

Two of them work for sure - both were on cars I ran and they've been stored well - the one from the car is coming with me on Tuesday to Europe to get seals and whatever else needs changing done at Nottingham Diesel Services.

Those seats are looking really nice!

I found it hard to believe that they actually had injection units in the 60's, and the power they made is truly amazing.

Really nice project in total, the thousands of little details makes this project truly unique! Keep up the good work!

-Wales

• 3 weeks later...

We've been in Europe since the end of April and I brought one 404C part with me: this injection pump.  We dropped it off two weeks ago at Nottingham Diesel Services where Steve rebuilt it (it was in good condition overall anyway) and tested/adjusted it on the flow bench.47095523044_74d4414fb1_h.jpg

We will pick it up Tuesday I expect (we are still in Ireland with our new Peugeot 208 GT Line as this is typed) and that's one more part that is ready to go back into the 404C.

40935415793_c8cf336617_b.jpg
47113454504_0ee2745be3_b.jpg

Picked up the pump today: new plungers and barrels had to be fitted as mine had been damaged by corrosion due to inactivity over several decades.  The car would have run with the old ones but the replacements will be much better.

From France, Canada, USA, Germany, Netherlands and the UK. WOW! It is truly a global effort in restoration. Can't wait to see.  Looking good Mike. ?

Wow Mike, the progress looks great, a fresh interior makes a project come together, and start to look complete also the engine seems to be in excellent shape not to mention is over 50 years of age, you've have to take good care of it during your ownership. Also nice of you to share your travels, hope you are enjoying the 208, and the square steering wheel.

• 2 months later...

48400542787_fe5bd6aff4_c.jpg

I had to drill two new holes in my brand new rear fender to mount the stainless steel trim at the peak of the rear fender.  Stressful!  I broke a small drill bit but didn't damage any visible part of the fender.  So it worked well and now only the left side remains to be done.

• 3 weeks later...

The left fender peak trim is also on and now the rear roof trim as well. The clips that hold the trim on have teeth that bite into the body seam so all were treated with a thick goop of Waxoyl before installing, to protect the metal.

48572597787_69e76fcb09_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

48696787163_6f02f34b3b_c.jpg

Opposite side is done.  Small black dot is for the passenger grab handle screw.  There were lots of holes drilled into the stainless steel strips by a previous owner so I just glued some small screw heads in them to make them slightly less obvious.  I'd like eventually to get better ones to use, but I don't feel the need to anytime soon. 

Original Italian rubber mats glued in on the passenger side.  53 years old and still in good shape.  Driver's side should be done Sunday though I will have to repair the tiny stainless steel cover between the sill rubber and rear seat area rubber, barely visible on the passenger side.  On the driver's side it needs to be ground down smooth and polished due to seat belt damage.

48735208022_41a1e07c66_h.jpg