• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

36775297653_cf1308e66f_b.jpg

Minor work completed a couple of days back: NOS turn indicators mounted. 

Now I have a whole lot of bolt and nut/hardware cadmium plating to get done and I have to organize the parts for remounting.  I will tackle the window winder cable assemblies soon.

You must have the biggest smile everytime you walk into that garage!  

Are you doing anything to refurbish the wiring harnesses in the car - or are they still pretty decent with no brittleness?

Rabin

I've gone over the harness inch by inch and it is in remarkably good condition.  I replaced a bit of the tape wrapping the trunk harnesses but in no case was the insulation hard, cracked or damaged otherwise.  I removed a non functional spliced in 4 way flasher kit and will patch the insulation where the Scotch locks were applied.  I cleaned the terminals with MolySlip Combat.  It's ready to go, so I need to reinstall it soon.

Curious if you used the non-sticky cloth harness wrap?  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't use regular electrician's tape as that just turns into a sticky mess over time.  (If you did I'd rethink it!)

If you've ever used "snakeskin" for harnesses you'd love it - not period correct but so neat and tidy.  I'll use the plastic split loom for everyday stuff just because it's slightly better than wrapping harnesses, but for any nice work - the snake skin stuff is awesome.

Rabin

The 504 had some cloth on the harness in places so I assumed the 404 would have too.  :)

Vinyl adhesive tape / electricians tape is the stuff I don't like for wrapping harnesses.  Looks great at first, but the adhesive always seems to seep over time making it a sticky mess.  Is the vinyl tape you're using non-sticky stuff made for wrapping harnesses?  505 uses the non sticky vinyl  for it's harnesses, but they get the split loom stuff when I have to do any work with them.

Rabin

My latest job is assembling new buses and i use both the sticky and non sticky insulation on wiring looms and if the tape is good quality makes no difference, only important factor is to use the fabric type on looms that not tied down so it won't rattle, so try to use as many factory tie down point as possible, you can use even some row rubber to glue the loom in places not visible to make the car feel more solid.

• 2 weeks later...

Plated parts (main batch) are back.  Bumpers are not plated but rather are stainless steel.  They are now straightened and polished beautifully.  Door handles are rechromed pot metal, and perfect.  Taillight bezels are also rechromed pot metal and although the plater was apologizing for their finish, it's very, very good - 9/10 - and excellent considering the bad starting condition.  The grille surround was rechromed too because the chrome on the upper lip was getting grainy.   All the silver-looking stuff is plated in cadmium as it was when it was new (silver, not the greenish version).

37586417780_28d2e250be_b.jpg

37795897646_9dd1e0a8bb_b.jpg

37795900806_8aef50baaf_b.jpg

37586423740_6f495e3c31_b.jpg

Pot metal... I had to google that. The french equivalent would be "cochonium". Looking at the result it's more of a proper Zamak, the really nasty stuff would have self destruct years ago.
When you talk about cadmium plating is that the real thing or a zinc plating?

All these chrome and silver parts look amazing and deserve a gold award. The big blue part back on the floor of your garage is deserving to have all these pieces attached to it, and together will make your 404C in the very top of its class.  The amount of detail to the entire process of this restoration project is second to none. The cooperation from your most important team partner in the project is just above and beyond when you can freely place bumpers, grill, tail lights and all kinds of fasteners and cables on your dining room table to photograph and share with the rest of the Peugeot world. 

Mike and Sandra, thanks for sharing as well all the time it takes to prepare what you are sharing with all of us.  I hope that you did not need to eat breakfast in the garage this morning but if you did, thats not all bad.  Cheers, H

Thanks! 

The plating is cadmium.  The plating shop offered two colours, a sort of greenish wash and the silver.  I chose silver because that's what they were when the car was new.  The natural colour of pure cadmium is light grey/silver, at least the stuff we used in the lab in university was.

Today cadmium is mostly banned for environmental concerns and worker safety, in fact that's also why they offer the greenish chromate conversion coating and not the good old yellow one. Anyway that's true in Europe, I know that even asbestos isn't totally banned today in the U.S. so maybe it really is cadmium.

It is literally cadmium.  I have read that getting items chromed in Europe is becoming impossible now, in addition to other plating.  Here there are controls over waste management but the services are still available.