Injection Pump Tech Spec

505 99105

Does anyone have a picture or a diagram of the Bosch injection pump?  The person who had the car before me had an injection pump leak and had the car tuned in such a way that the car ran great with the leak.  When I got the pump fixed, and replaced it, it went through the roof idling.  I turned the power down, and had little power.  I noticed that the 7mm stop bolt was really far out, however I could get no tool in there to turn it back.  I took the springs and arm off so I could get the 7mm bolt loose and backed in, however I am having problems sorting out how it goes back together.  The springs are what are causing the problem.  I should have taken photos, but I did not.  I have a 1984 2.3L 505 Turbo Diesel.  Now it sits and waits in the garage until I hear from you.

I have owned a 403, 404, 203, 504, and a couple of 505's.  Usually I know my way around pretty good, but this one has me stumped.

Thanks all!

Thomas

Hi Thomas - welcome to the forums!

I'll be able to take pics of my 86 XD3T tomorrow and post them up for you to compare.

Curious how you 'turned the power down' precisely as well.  I would have thought the idle stop would be the only thing to be adjusted, but if he messed with the fuel screw that's a different thing.

I've only read about injection pump tuning,  with little actual experience so hopefully the more experienced diesel heads will step in.

Rabin

On the back of the pump just above where the injection lines go out is the "power" (probably fuel flow) bolt.  It has a collar crimped to it so that it doesn't get too far in and then ruin things.  I loosened the lock nut and then backed it out a bit.  I didn't have a lot of get up and go, but at least my brakes were no longer overheating! 

I may just need to find a place here in Washington State to take it to to get it properly timed and idle fixed, etc.  I just noticed too that the connecting rod from the accelerator to the boost lever is missing as well...probably will never find one of those!

Thomas

Ah - so that screw does add fuel/power, but it adds it across the board so it should be treated with respect.

Ideally it should be used for off boost tuning, and the boost compensator at the top should be used for tuning on boost.

My advise to you is to find a good diesel mechanic that's very familiar with tuning VW IDI engines (Indirect Diesel Injection).  There is quite a lot of potential in these motors via tuning, and while you may not want to max it out power wise - a little more is nice so that travel with modern vehicle traffic is no problem.  Being from Washington state - I'm quite sure you'll be able to find someone good.

Rabin

You may need to check the cold idle up, usually is a cable that go to the thermostat housing, or there are coolant lines that go in it, there may be more than one, usually one in the front of the pump, and one in the back next to the engine blok, the cable should be tightly tension, so when the bimetal expands drops the idle down, in my country we usually tighten the two bolts to lock it when it idles best, 

• 1 month later...

I had to take the bronze throttle arm off, to adjust the idle.  However, I see after taking the pump off today to replace it as it was impossible while installed in the car, that it has a place for a standard screwdriver in the back. 

At any rate, its all back together, and it seems like it wants to start, however it only comes close to starting if I hold the accelerator pedal all the way to floor....

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay - Still no start? 

Just wanted to ask if you had tried ether to see if the motor would fire.  Could be as simple as the fuel solenoid not working or not getting power.  

Rabin

I took the bronze throttle off to try to adjust the low idle screw, then realized I could not get the bronze parts back on.  So I took the pump off so I could put that all back together.  Now when I try to start it, it just cranks over, and if I put the throttle to the floor, it acts like it wants to start.  Its just sitting in the garage.  No one wants to work on it either in Spokane or the Tri-Cities, not even the "European" motor works (one told me it means German only!).  So it will sit.  I really don't know what else to do.

Take pictures so we know what you mean if you can.

Little puff of ether will confirm if it will fire or not with a charged battery and functioning glow plugs.  

Look for VW or Mercedes diesel independent shops - The Peugeot is exactly the same as the VW indirect diesel injection (TDI) cars and anyone familiar with them will instantly be familiar with your car.

Rabin

Check your fuel lines in and out of the filter, i had similar problems when i did my engine swap in my now daly driver 605, i clean the filter housing and somehow has turned the one way valves and the fuel pump isn't getting any fuel, and the primer plunger was rock hard and no fuel was getting in the pump, you may try running both lines in a fuel can just to be sure, when you are crank it, it should be pumping thru the return line, if is pumping hit the cast iron part of the pump with a hammer when cranking in, if the pistons in the pump have gotten stuck this shall free them up.

You need to confirm it fires on ether as that will narrow your troubleshooting scope.

If you PM me your location I can see if there are any shops or enthusiasts in your area willing to work on it.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

im in spokane and everyone i talk to to try to find suspension parts hears peugeot and they look like they want to run away. a performance shop may help you out if no one else will. Spokane Diesel Pump actually talked to me about modifying a mercedes 240d mw pump, if they are willing to do that maybe they will help you. honestly i would disconnect the gp circuit and spray some ether and see if it fires. shouldnt take more then a little  spray to start. i dont know about the peugeot ve's but the vw have a timing adjustment on the pump mounts, to much timing can cause hard cold starts or no start at all.

• 1 month later...

I found a place in LaCrosse, WA that will do it for me, but they are asking for the extra tools for the valves etc to set it correctly.

Does anyone have any that I can rent/borrow and return, or know where I can get them?  I can see them in my shop manual from Peugeot if you need a number.

• 4 months later...

Excellent news!   Did they identify the issue / root cause at all?

As for the rack - check to make sure it's not leaking from the fittings or lines first.  If the rack ia leaking it's usually from the pinion.  Rebuilt is usually the way to go if it's the alloy pinion,  but if it's the older metal pinion then they can be resealed.

Rabin

Too soon to celebrate.  I was driving Wednesday night, and got about five miles from home, and the car lost power.  It would stall out, and then it would restart ok, sorta, it took a lot of cranking, and then i could drive a bit, stall, etc.

I replaced the fuel filter, it was very old, and blew out the fuel lines.  I am thinking the primer button is the problem, as fuel sometimes comes out around the button when I pressed it.  I had a 505 with the 2.5 about 15 years ago, and I remember that the rubber disk inside was melted looking from sitting, I cannot imagine what biodiesel might have done to this one.

Does anyone have one they can sell me, or help me find one?  Its parked again...

Leaking primer sounds like it alright,  just takes the slightest air leak and the pump can't pull fuel. 

Availabilty should be good - They're all over ebay, and should be relatively easy to replace or even upgrade.  My 86' td sedan has an older style lever prime head that works fantastic.  When mine fails I'll likely go with a modern Racor filter set up with a manual prime.

Rabin

I took out the diaphram, and there was a hole in it.  I saw where the rubber was falling apart as well and used gorilla super glue to bind and strengthen it.  It appears to be working just fine now!

I sent a friend of mine a request who is a flight attendant to get me a new kit next time he goes to Europe...  :)

You should try the vendors - I bet Madhu @ Parts Network or Brian Holm @ Peugeot Holm might even have a kit in stock.

Link you provided was WAY overkill by the way - you could do with a much smaller unit.  Racor filter heads are nice, and Bosch VE pumps are supposed to like very clean fuel.

Rabin