1983 505s Turbo Diesel Question

kentuckylake

I have inherited a 1983 Silver Edition 505s Turbo Diesel with 83,000 actual miles - one owner.  The paint is rough and the body is straight.  The turbo blew in 1997 and the car has been in a barn for 18 years.  Incredibly the tires were up and it rolled onto the trailer just fine.  I want to know if I should scrap the car or attempt to rebuild.  I do not know where to start.  It would need some major work on the turbo and paint.  Otherwise it appears sound.  What value, if any, does the car have as is?  I have a clear title to the car and it is located in Paducah, Kentucky.

Pictures of the car and what you have to work with will be the best way to help figure out if the car is worth putting time and effort into.  Does the car have any sentimental value?  I ask because there's likely little monetary value in the car as is, but how much it's worth when running and driving condition will be dependant on how good it is.  Even best case scenario though and at best it's still only a $3Kish car...

If there's any sentimental value, or if you have a need for an exceptionally comfortable car with excellent fuel economy then it's likely worth fixing.  Is it auto or manual?

Turbo wise it's just a Garrett T3 based turbo which is easily rebuilt baring any turbine or housing damage with a ~$100 rebuild kit.  Diesel is nice as tank rust shouldn't be an issue, and diesel motors are usually good to sit for years and years with no trouble - but it still may take some work to get it up to snuff with likely an injector pump reseal, and all new fluids.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Rabin

Welcome to the forum, any car is worth significantly more when running, at the time in 97 turbocharger was probably very expensive, probably more than the car itself, now they are cheap and available, if the tires are up that means somebody was up keeping it, as Rabin stated, diesels are much better for standing for long periods, for where to start, get the car on level surface, check all the fluids, if you are not experienc, post pictures we will help, check the belts, timing and fan belt, of everything checks good, you can turn the engine by hand on the crank pulley bolt, don't be discouraged if it takes little force to get it turning, then you can prime the fuel pump and start it, if it starts you home free, those cars are very dependable, and the engines are unkillable, properly maintain will go for millions of miles, post some more details and photos to be able to help you more.