Starting 1986 505 Turbo Sedan Project

86turbo

Hello forum, 

I am new to the forums. I live in Southern Oregon, and have obtained a 1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo sedan. The car is a 1 owner vehicle that was purchased by my grandparents. They are giving it to me to fix up and make a project out of. 

Backstory on the vehicle:

I am not sure how many miles are on it, it is sitting in some very overgrown grass and berries. My wife and I will be moving into a house next door to my grandparents house where the car is at, and when we move (October) I will be pulling it out and moving it into my garage. I have no experience with this car, but am somewhat mechanically savvy. I built a big turbo onto a 2005 VW Jetta GLI 1.8T, and learned quite a bit in the process. 

The 505 Turbo has a very straight body, but has some engine issues. I am not sure what engine is in it, but I believe it's a 2.0L. I'll try and be as detailed as I can here with info from my grandpa (if you want to know something I don't provide, I can ask my grandfather and he will most likely know). The car has been sitting for probably around 12 years now. It ran when it was parked. The main issue is some sort of electrical problem I believe. When it runs, it runs great, but sometimes it just will not start. We have had problems with this for a while before it was parked, where we would take it to the market, and come out and it would not start again. Very intermittent it would seem. It has been in multiple shops that don't have a clue about: 1) The car itself, and 2) what they are doing in general. One shop said it was the turbo. That was replaced with a new turbo, still had same issue. So that's the main reason it's sitting. The second minor issue is that the master cylinder apparently is leaky, but I imagine that's a relatively easy fix. 

At this point, I am not 100% on interior condition, as I can't exactly get to that right now. I know when it was parked the interior was flawless, but that was quite some time ago. My grandpa believes that it should fire up right away when I try and start it. However, there are a couple things I need and want to do before I even try. The fuel needs to be drained. Needs a new battery, spark plugs, wires. Once I can confirm it will at least turn over, I will drain all fluids and do a full swap. At least will need new tires, probably will replace wheels as well. Rear brakes are getting close to done.

So this brings me to my questions: 

1) What is the lug bolt pattern?

2) Amounts of fluids (motor oil, trans fluid, etc) I will need for a full swap.

3) Other suggestions on things to do when firing up a car after sitting 12+ years.

I of course appreciate all the help I may or may not receive here, but I am hopeful to get this up and running, and then begin a full restore on it (and possibly an engine swap down the road). This is the one picture I do have of it.

IMG_0757.JPG

Welcome to the forum, you've introduced the car very well, one owner are the best starting point for any project, because they are less molested. One thing you should remember working on this generation of peugeot's is they are overbuilt, that means usually you have to take 2-3 other things out to access the one you need, if you get past that they are easy to work on and dream to drive, as for Bolt pattern is 4x140 Offset (mm): 30, for the fluids there are more experience members with the 505 that will pitch in,as for the first start up, i would suggest remove the spark plugs, and turn the engine by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and little ATF down the spark plug hole is a good idea, make sure all the hoses for air from the air filter are clear of any nests and animals and that the air flow meter is conected with the hose to the engine, if the ecu does not see air moving it will not switch the injectors on, best of luck and keep us updated on you progress.

Welcome to the forum and I definitely love the story already abd I'm looking forward reading updates on your 505 Turbo. As for getting it running you and Goce have pretty much covered it,replacing all the fluids,tune up,old rubber fuel hoses,fuel filter, fuel it self,battery and using some sort of fluid to fill up cylinders to free up rings in case they have seized. 

Now for a no start it could be only few things but definitely not the Turbo.

1) Does it crank over and keeps cranking but won't fire?

2) Does it have spark or fuel when problem occurs?

That's your starting point for sure and knowing Peugeots I'd bet it's a faulty fuel pump relay or ignition module.

• 3 weeks later...

Spark plugs NGK or Bosch, the parts store should know which are right for that engine, for the oil full synthetic is a bit too thin for older engines, you are better with semi synthetic 10w40 as for the brand really doesn't matter just get a good quality oil filter.

13 hours ago, Goce said:

Spark plugs NGK or Bosch, the parts store should know which are right for that engine, for the oil full synthetic is a bit too thin for older engines, you are better with semi synthetic 10w40 as for the brand really doesn't matter just get a good quality oil filter.

Okay, thank you kindly! Do you know how many quarts the 2.0 takes?

To be honest i'm not that familiar with those engines, but general rule applies buy 5 liter bottle and should be enough, when pouring new oil start checking the dipstick pass the 3 liter mark for every 1/2 liter, and wait after pouring for the oil to reach the oil pan.

27 minutes ago, anj said:

I would recommend buy normal cheap oil for the first start and then change to f synthetic if the car runs. The cheap can act like a flush and if something major is wrong you haven't wasted expensive oil.

Arun.

Good idea, thank you!

1 hour ago, SRDT said:

10w40 5 liters with filter for oil and 9.5 for coolant.

Awesome! Couldn't find anything about coolant so I appreciate that. Heading to pull it out of the bushes today! Will post more pics when it's out.

Alright guys! She's out of the bushes! Got the pressure washer out and blasted off all the dirt and moss growing all over it. 

IMG_0907.JPG

The engine bay hasn't been cleaned yet, and is pretty nasty. Mice chewed through a lot of the plastic, like the fluid reservoirs and caps, hopefully nothing too vital. 

IMG_0916.JPG

Tomorrow will bring more work, going to clean the engine up a bit, pull the seats out and start conditioning the leather, etc etc.

From first look, looks good, exterior the chrome, lights and trim are in good shape, that is the important as for the paint, you may look in to wrappin it, there is a kid that leaves near me he wrap a classic mini in carbon fiber and whan i show it first time i was suprised, he sed is very easy to wrap a car just use a heat gun, for the engine bay i agree with Arun, don't wash it before you start it, and don't park it in a garage, you still have mice living in it somewhere, use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the leaves around the engine so they don't catch fire and to be easy liter to wash, and if you have access to compressed air blow everything out of the engine bay, then check for bare wires, and open the air filter carefully to evict any mice from their, keep the pictures coming.

18 hours ago, anj said:

Another bit of advise is don't wash the engine until the engine is running. You don't want to introduce a major factor of water to an engine with chewed wires.  After it is running wash the engine carefully.

Arun

Yeah, I was thinking this. I have a good shop vac and a big air compressor that I will use to clean it out. I think most of the reservoirs can be replaced with aftermarket ones if nothing else, but I am uncertain on the brake fluid tank. 

4 hours ago, Goce said:

From first look, looks good, exterior the chrome, lights and trim are in good shape, that is the important as for the paint, you may look in to wrappin it, there is a kid that leaves near me he wrap a classic mini in carbon fiber and whan i show it first time i was suprised, he sed is very easy to wrap a car just use a heat gun, for the engine bay i agree with Arun, don't wash it before you start it, and don't park it in a garage, you still have mice living in it somewhere, use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the leaves around the engine so they don't catch fire and to be easy liter to wash, and if you have access to compressed air blow everything out of the engine bay, then check for bare wires, and open the air filter carefully to evict any mice from their, keep the pictures coming.

Yeah I was very happy with the exterior. There are only a couple minor issues with the body. I think I broke the driver side mirror, got bent way back while pulling it out of the bushes. Also, I kind of banged the rear bumper up a bit with the tractor while pulling it out. I don't think I cracked any plastic, so if it's metal that's bent I can fix that. 

As far as paint goes, I actually have professional air guns for automotive painting. My grandfather is a very skilled painter, and has painted several cars we've restored. Might be a winter project once I decide on what I want to do with the car. For now, the goal is to get it running and reliable. I will post more pictures soon once I make more progress. 

Sound like you know what are you doing, and you have some knowledge people helping you, as for the plastic reservoirs, i'm sure they are available, for the brake reservoir you mention that the master cylinder may need replacing, when ordering it, order it with reservoir, if not available there are many cars with remote mounted brake reservoir, simply get one and mounted to the firewall, that's what i had to do on one mercedes couple of years back it dose the job, best of luck.

23 hours ago, Goce said:

Sound like you know what are you doing, and you have some knowledge people helping you, as for the plastic reservoirs, i'm sure they are available, for the brake reservoir you mention that the master cylinder may need replacing, when ordering it, order it with reservoir, if not available there are many cars with remote mounted brake reservoir, simply get one and mounted to the firewall, that's what i had to do on one mercedes couple of years back it dose the job, best of luck.

I do have a bit of knowledge about some aspects of the project. I am completely unfamiliar with the Peugeot, though. Thanks for input on the brake reservoir / master cylinder. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...